need protein in my meal..i am vegetarian...any nelp?

patelkinnari
patelkinnari Posts: 31 Member
I am Vegetarian... not vegan...but it’s hard to get the protein in my meal since i do not eat meat. Please advise how do i get the much protein incorporated with my meal.....:huh:

Replies

• cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Eggs are a great way to get protein(I believe some vegetarians eat eggs) , and I have just started researching vegetable protein powder. You use it to make smoothies and apparently is a great way to add protein to your diet.
  • mabernier
    mabernier Posts: 62 Member
    Any type of dairy is going to give you good protein....also try some beans....garbanzo or chick peas blended with some sesame oil and salt makes a nice dip or spread.... refried beans layered in a salad or on top, nuts are great protein!
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Heck yes to nuts and beans
    also quinoa instead of cous cous or rice will help too
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Eggs, greek yogurt and protein powder. Not necessarily all at the same time.
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Beans, tvp, seitan, quinoa, tofu, nuts, lentils, tempeh, chai seeds. That's off the top of my head. Keep in mind vegetables have protein; some more some less. Rice and pasta have varying levels depending on the type.
  • Tofu, Soy- or Whey-based Protein Powders, Almonds, Cashews, Egg Whites, Hummus (Chic Peas)... etc etc etc
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Hit the library and look for some books on eating as a vegetarian... and some cookbooks.

What we say here might be helpful, but if you're struggling with what will add protein, reading up on nutrition AND some recipes/menus that help you visualize how it might work for you really might be the best thing to get your own ideas perking for personalized menus and such.

I say this partially out of frustration over a friend of mine who's vegetarian... but really, she's not vegetarian. She has an extremely limited palette of things she likes to eat. Meat is not one of them. However she doesn't eat vegetables that much either. I eat low carb and I KNOW I eat more veggies in a day than she does. I secretly suspect she survives almost soley on cheese pizza.

Beans, lentil dishes, eggs, cheese, greek yogurt, soy crumbles or curls (I really like soy curls stir fried - Butler is the brand I've bought. A local food cart uses them in their veggie bowls), tofu, quinoa, tempeh, etc. TSP and TVP can be quite flexible in many dishes. Homemade black bean burgers can be sooooo awesome.
  • patelkinnari
    patelkinnari Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks for the all the support....i have one more question...where do i buy the soy Curls....? not sure..
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    I make myself a protein smoothie every morning with tofu and greek yogurt (fruit and stuff too haha). Almost 20 g protein for 300 ish cals (depending on what fruit you use).
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Hemp seeds are a complete protein. hemp powder has even less fat/carbs and more protein!
    They are really delicious and don't turn your stuff into a gelatinous blob like chia seeds~

Stuff like sprouted bread, ezekiel bread, has a good amount of protein too! The kind I eat has 5g protein and 60 calories per slice.
  • hindustani24
    hindustani24 Posts: 7 Member
    Simply replace paneer with Tofu in all the dishes (search youtube, you can find various recipes of tofu, like tofu tikka, tofu omelette, tofu chilli, etc., they will be easy to incorporate into the Indian diet). Also eat daal (any type) with very little oil or boiled. Also if you can, try whey protein.