Elliptical

Options
Hi All!

I searched a lot of threads before deciding to just create my own. I saw mixed reviews about the Elliptical, but I use it and have for a long time.

I think I am going to get a HRM, but for now I have been using an elliptical that you can enter in your weight and age, and it has the HR bars on the machine. I am usually between level 5-level 10 on the elliptical depending on the day, 30 minutes, and the machine tells me my HR gets to about 150 at peak. When I am done, I am sweating, dripping, needing a towel to whip myself off.

I usually burn about 300-350 according to the machine. I eat about 80% of it back just to make up for any fluctuation.

I guess my questions is do other people use the elliptical and see results? I hate running (outside/treadmill), I seem to not push myself hard enough doing plain old running, but the elliptical I can be on for a lot longer and push myself. My goal is to do cardio 5 days a week, and I am also lifting weights to try and build some muscles in arms and legs.

I guess this was more of a HEY THIS IS WHAT I DO IS THIS OKAY? Than an actual specific question lol

Replies

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I lost a about 20 lbs in a few months doing mostly elliptical a few years back. I was doing about an hour a day, 5 or 6 times a week. It wasn't fun, but it worked for the most part.
  • Hozman121
    Hozman121 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    That is all I use cause I have horrible shin splints. I follow the couch-2-5k program with the elliptical so I alter my intensity. Lost 49 lbs in 12 weeks so far..........so yes I would say using an elliptical one will see results if you also follow a good eating plan.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Works great for weight loss. I've lost about 80 total pounds with the only form of cardio being the elliptical (30-45 minutes 5-6 days a week) with a calorie deficit. It's my number one choice for weight loss cardio, personally. Nothing else gives you such a high burn in such a little amount of time.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I have definitely been tracking my food! Just got a food scale so hopefully I see improvements! I don't have much to lose, more just to get the "skinny fat" look off of me.

Thanks for the encouragement. I always have felt like I get a good workout from elliptical so it startled me to see people didnt...
  • Caitu13
    Caitu13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical 6 days a week usually for 30 minutes and love it! I burn anywhere from 300 to 400 calories depending on how hard I push myself. Depends on the day and how I feel due to health issues. My elliptical doesn't have HRM on it so I bought a watch that keeps track of it along with calories burned. I don't eat my calories back usually and I'm slowly seeing results.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is fine for burning calories. the issue with them is that the movement isn't natural and other than strengthening the heart, and a small increase in endurance, getting good at the elliptical will not help in any other aspect, as the motion does not translate to real world use. That said if the treadmill is taken I will use it for the calorie burn so I can eat more.
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    That is my machine/cardio of choice! I've lost a lot doing a combo of things. But I try for the elliptical 2-3 times a week for about 45 min per session.
    I hate the treadmill--loathe it! The Elliptical is great for me knees too.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    Elliptical is fine for burning calories. the issue with them is that the movement isn't natural and other than strengthening the heart, and a small increase in endurance, getting good at the elliptical will not help in any other aspect, as the motion does not translate to real world use. That said if the treadmill is taken I will use it for the calorie burn so I can eat more.

I totally understand this. I did Insanity before hitting the gym again. And I still from time to time do some of the circuits, but considering I dont like running .... I dont think I need it to transfer to anything in the real world.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Elliptical trainers are great. When I injured my knee last year I used that and the bike...easier impact. I can easily go at a level 12 for 50 minutes at a random (as if I am going up and down a mountain).

After awhile though you will want to add different regimens to your workout. Doing the same thing over and over can add to a slump or lull in weight loss.

All in all, don't make it your only go-to for a workout. Workout classes, kettle ball workouts, lift weights. Muscle confusion can help blast fat and tone up. If it's been awhile since you have exercised, then the elliptical is a great way to get back into a routine and be a good machine for just some basic cardio.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use the "ellipitcal" 3-4 days per week. I use quotes, because there are alot of different ones out there - some which can be very good, some which can really overstate how many calories you burn. In general, I always knock off 20% of whatever calories the ellipitcal tells me, which is much lower than the MFP calculation. For example - if the ellipitcal tells me I burned 400 calories in 30 minutes, the MFP calculation will show around 450, and I will only log 320. More accurate to get a HRM.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    Think I am going to get a HRM on my lunch break today! :happy:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I think variety is the spice of life. I do intervals on the elliptical once a week, generally, on my rest day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have seen awesome results when I used my elliptical regularly. I was dropping an inch a week from my waist. I've been bad about using it (I prefer to be outside) but it's a great workout.

The calorie count sounds reasonable, depending on your weight.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I really like the Elliptical machine. A few tips... Try doing interval workouts on the machine. Warm up for 5 mins, then every 2 mins, do one minute of high intensity, then slow down for 2 mins, and repeat. Using the hill setting, you can hit the harder sections as your interval and the lower as your rest. If you do a 35 min workout with 10 intervals, you will be amazed at how cooked you are. Try mixing it up with doing a 55-60 min workout and doing two groups of intervals during the longer workout...

Getting a decent HRM will help you too. Also, look at the foods you are eating. I am not an expert, but starting to look at my macros more closely....
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It's all I use for cardio too. 30 mins 2-3 times a week. I agree with Fit in Folsom, intervals are really fun to do.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical as my go-to morning workout! I LOVE that thing!

I have an HRM and it is always just a little over what the machine predicts based on weight and age usually about 50 cals over. So I think the machines are pretty accurate.

My go-to workout is 3-3-3 or hitting my targets of 30mins, 3 miles, and 300 calories. Must hit all 3!
    Usually do intervals 2mins easy, 2mins med, 2mins hard. And I like to throw in some backwards pedaling and isolations for 1min intervals whenever I feel up to it (3-5 times each work out usually).

The elliptical is not useful if you never up the incline or resistance though! I've done a judge-y little survey and have found the people who seem to have the best results are using the elliptical on super high settings, sometimes even maxing it out. And the people who I see at the gym all the time who don't seem to ever change or see results are using low or the minimum settings.