Healthy weight for height but need to weigh less?

Options
Hi all :)
So I'm a healthy weight for my height BMI 23, which is on the higher end I guess, I feel that most ladies my height (5'6 145 pounds) are much lighter-generally in the 120 to 130 pound range. Now the lightest I've ever been was 120 and I was miserable at that weight, I looked great but was still a size US 6 at that weight and to maintain it I had to eat basically nothing and workout everyday. Maybe 130-135 is more realistic for me? The lowest I've maintained without really thinking about it was about 140, that was just being careful not to eat out to much and being slightly careful of portion at home, but if I just eat totally normally and live life I naturally settle at about 145 or so. I'm going to be starting school nest year and I won't be working out much if at all so it's going to be mostly diet for me-I don't want to make myself miserable though. So if any other 5'6 girls who weigh in the 120-140 range could let me know roughly what their diet looks like and if they exercise what kind/how much? Any other girls who are naturally a bit heavier and find it hard to get to/maintain those lower weights?
Vanessa

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Now that you are here, why not let MFP set you up with what you need to eat to attain your goals? Set a goal for yourself of 140, losing at a reasonable pace (say 1 lb per week) and re-evaluate once you get there?
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    5'6" and 145 sounds plenty slender to me. I'm 5'3" and 142, with a GW of 136-138. I don't put a lot of stock into those charts, just "go with your gut" on this one.
  • aintnograve
    Options
    Yeah I get told I look fine all the time but I just have this lingering feeling that I'm 'heavy'. Which is silly but there it is. I guess I'll just eat clean and see where I can get reasonable without starving myself.
    Vanessa
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get told I look fine all the time but I just have this lingering feeling that I'm 'heavy'. Which is silly but there it is. I guess I'll just eat clean and see where I can get reasonable without starving myself.
    Vanessa

Eating 'clean' in and of itself doesn't guarantee weight loss. Only a calorie deficit will do that.

Clean is in apostrophes, because no one can really decide what exactly 'clean eating' really is, and the definition varies wildly.

Good luck!
  • aintnograve
    Options
    Yeah I get that too LOL What I meant was about 1400 calories and no takeout :)
    Vanessa
  • cbasler350
    Options
    You can take a look at my food diary if youd like. I am 24 5"7' started at 140-145 and now the scale reads 135, as low as 132 some days. I try to stick to 1200 cal because I am mostly sedentary but I do tend to go over as well
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I'm around your boat. 5'5 currently 142, started at 150, goal weight 130.

I have also been around 120 and I didnt like it as well. I was just skinny and that was it. No tone, no sexiness. I am trying to be 130 and build some muscles with it.

I eat at about 1400. I eat back most of my burned calories. With such little weight to lose to reach your goal, I would not suggest eating 1200.

Feel free to add me :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I totally hear where you're coming from, lol! I'm 5'5" (technically a little bit shorter), and I swear everyone wants to be 125 lbs or lower for this height... and I can't imagine going so low. I'm 137, and my goal is set at 130... My TDEE is 2100 right now though, and I'll probably set for 2000 once I'm at my goal weight... which isn't bad at all, considering I've been losing well at 1600 (and going over quite a bit).

I do have a large frame though, so there's that.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Height/Weight charts and BMI are just a guide, but they won't tell you anywhere near the full story about your individual needs.

Why are you losing weight? Is it to fit some chart, or because you're comparing to others around you? Are you generally content with your appearance? Are you healthy? Those are the things that matter.

For me personally, a male, when I first lost a considerable amount of weight I was disheartened that even though I was at the higher end of a "normal" BMI/weight, I still was too fat for my individual ideals and frame. I grew up fat and assumed I had a big frame. I was wrong. This time around my goal weight range is much lower, regardless of the fact that I am technically "normal weight" for my height according to charts. There is a range for a reason.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you're upset by the way your body looks or feels while your weight is normal/healthy, it's because you aren't exercising enough. A girl who works out and weighs 130 pounds is going to look much thinner/toned than a girl who weighs 130 pounds and does not. You don't need to lose weight, you need to work out.

Sorry if that sucks to hear /:
  • mreilly013
    mreilly013 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 5'6 and started at 151, and my lowest was about 132. Although I did gain some of it back when I was sick for about 4 months and started at 141 again. I'm shooting for 130, but I think my body is happiest and easiest for me to maintain at about 135. Currently, I'm in my losing period, slow with about 1675 calories and I work out between 3-4 times a week.
  • ThinEdielynne
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and have never weighed over 140 lbs. I wore a size 7 jean in high school and hated the way I looked. I always felt huge and "squishy". In college I was 105 lbs and felt great! I have a very small frame but , I also always had trouble working out and toning my body. So I'm either skin and bones or fat and bones. I don't think I would be happy with anything over 120 lbs.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'6", and for me it depends on whether I'm lifting weights or not.145 looks great if I'm lifting. I don't like to go below 135 because I just lose my boobs and part of the curve to my hips and everything else looks the same as at 145, lol.

But I have a large (wide) skeleton, and I do look odd at lower weights. It really doesn't look right on me because of how my ribcage really shows (it's big), etc. It's probably perfectly healthy, but so is the higher weight that looks nicer and lets me eat a bit more :)
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and maintain between 130-135. I eat about 1800 a day and work out 4 times a week (2 days strength, 2 days cardio). I walk to work, but other than that sit at a desk all day. Try to focus on how you feel and look, don't focus just on a number. That number is going to look different on different shaped bodies.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and for me 120 is LOW. I'm a definite size 6 at 135lbs though (wearing 6/8 around 140). I think it depends on body fat percentage and proportion too. When I'm eating my healthiest and exercising regularly I'm around 130lbs. You just have to feel it out for yourself really. What is you eating your best and exercising regularly? What's sustainable for you? I feel like this is why there's such a large range of healthy built into the BMI scale. Do what feels good for you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you're upset by the way your body looks or feels while your weight is normal/healthy, it's because you aren't exercising enough. A girl who works out and weighs 130 pounds is going to look much thinner/toned than a girl who weighs 130 pounds and does not. You don't need to lose weight, you need to work out.

Just adding this little link here to go along with this most excellent advice...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Stole the words out of my mouth.

I'm 5'5" and 148 pounds and a comfortable size 6, almost into a 4. Proof that weight is only a number. I weight train 5 days a week and do zero cardio and eat 1800-2000 calories a day and am losing about half pound a week. If you don't like the way your body looks/feels, you should consider trying to change your body composition and start weight training.
  • aintnograve
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys :) I appreciate it!
    Vanessa