NSV on my Birthday! The 7 mile Run

Options
I've lurked on the Success Stories board whenever I need some motivation. I had such a defining NSV for me, that I finally decided to share.

When I started MFP in September, I didn't just want to lose weight, I wanted to be fit and healthy. So along with logging calories, I started running. When I began, I could barely run for 5 minutes straight without feeling winded. Seriously. But I stuck with it (I am lucky to have two friends that are amazing workout buddies) and slowly increased the amount of time/distance that I was running. Finally I got to the point where I felt confident to sign up for a 5K (which I'm running in May) and started running a loop that is 3.8 miles long. Being able to run this loop itself was a victory.

Yesterday, happened to be my birthday and I as I finished running my usual loop I didn't feel tired or winded at all. So I kept running. And running. And running. I ran 7 miles straight yesterday. 7 MILES! Going from not being to run for 5 minutes to running straight for over an hour is a bigger accomplishment ot me than any number on a scale could provide.

So I hope if any of you are struggling or feeling frustrateed, you will remember that great things can be accomplished through persistence and believing in yourself. Never give up on your goals!

Replies

• beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I needed to see this. I managed a half mile a week and a half ago and I was ecstatic, but the last few days I've struggled again. I finally slowed down my speed a bit and I think that will help. I've only been at this for a month, so I am going to keep going. I'd be super proud to accomplish what you have. That's great!
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What a great present to give yourself on your birthday: health, endurance and success! Great job! :flowerforyou:
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Nice. I started trying to run in September or so. Same story, couldn't do it at first. :)

I ran 7 miles a few weeks ago for the first time, I was elated. GREAT work!
  • evitaevita12
    evitaevita12 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Nice birthday present to yourself! I am slowly getting back to running as well. Add me please if you would like.
  • Katielou112
    Katielou112 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am on a similar journey, just a few weeks ago I couldn't run more than 4 minutes at 8mph on a treadmill without having to break and go down to walking pace, yesterday I did 15mins straight! I just kept going like you said :). My next hurdle is 20.

I have never ran for that long in my entire life! Like seriously, even when I was tiny weight wise I would walk on country runs in school. Seeing my stamina and fitness improve so much so quickly is amazing! Shows what determination can do :)
  • QS82
    QS82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Happy belated birthday, and well done on your achievement! :flowerforyou:
  • hopefulat50
    hopefulat50 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great success story and very motivating for me - trying to get back into jogging on my treadmill and it's slow going! But I'll get there.
    And it helps to read stories like yours!
    Congrats on a great run and happy birthday!:flowerforyou:
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    What a great present to give yourself on your birthday: health, endurance and success! Great job! :flowerforyou:

^^^ This, and Happy Belated Birthday!!!
  • ryker789
    ryker789 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Great NSV!! Thank you for this post, I'm just starting out and this gives me hope. :flowerforyou:
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    That is a great NSV, way to go, keep it up!
  • EmmaGutteridge83
    Options
    Well done!! I began running a couple of years ago when I was seriously overweight... I couldn't run non-stop for longer than a minute. I have since run 2 half marathons and am aiming for a marathon this year. To even run a 5K was beyond anything I could ever have imagined. I cried as I completed my first Half Marathon!

Keep up the good work, you know already the feeling of elation when you reach and surpass your goal, so now onwards and upwards :-)

xx
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    That's awesome and very motivating! What a great present!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME!!! Running new distances are such fun goals to have. And 7 miles is no joke!! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!