How would you count this?

Options
I would just like some opinions on how to count this. I sometimes flavor vegetables (i.e. green beans) with smoked turkey wings, but I don't actually eat the meat. I'm sure this adds some calories to it, but I'm not really sure how to count it when I'm not eating the meat that I flavor it with. I've been adding the calories of the meat to be on the safe side, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to do so.

Replies

• molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Just eat the meat lol
  • FleekTastic
    FleekTastic Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I dont know how to count that - but if you are counting the meat why dont you just eat it?!
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. Hrm... Maybe just add a very small percentage from the meat? I'm sure it's not leaving too much behind. Just a bit of the fats, probably.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I would imagine you are adding a little fat to the beans when you do that. If you really want to know how much, you could try cooking the wings in water without the beans. Then skim off the fat that rises to the top and measure that (even better, cool the water with the fat till it solidifies). I don't see a listing for turkey fat in the database but there is a listing for duck fat: 115 calories per tablespoon.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bump because that sounds like such a good idea to use to flavor things
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Rather than deprive yourself of the calories what I would do is something like:

(amt of fat cals in one wing)X(number of wings in the pot) = Total amount of added fat

And then do the proper calculations to determine the amount you've consumed.... It's almost like stoichiometry, glad I learned something in high school...
  • salleymo
    salleymo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I dont know how to count that - but if you are counting the meat why dont you just eat it?!

I know it sounds odd, but I don't actually like to eat the meat in it, I usually eat some other meat i prepare with it.