Dairy-free casseroles?

Options
Jennplus2
Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
My son can not have dairy and I miss casseroles so much! Does anyone know of a dairy-free (and I hope easy) recipe?
Please and thank you!

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Use some low sodium chicken broth, some brown rice, some cooked chicken breast, diced onion and some frozen veggies.... bake for about an hour in a covered casserole dish. This is one of my faves... and no cheese, so no dairy. Also, any casserole that contains a "cream of" soup, you can substitute soy milk thickened with cornstarch and some chicken or vegetable broth. I used to make green bean casserole this way when my daughter was living Vegan.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    B-U-M-P!

Tamale casserole

1 lb ground turkey
    1/2-1 can rotel (dependent upon how spicy)
    1 c salsa (pace picante mild is good for younger palates)
    1 box cornbread mix (I use jiffy)
    1 can creamed corn
    Black olives for garnish

Preheat to 350
    Brown ground, add rotel and salsa
    pour into casserole dish
    mix creamed corn and cornbread mix well
    pour on top of meat mixture - garnish with halved black olives
    bake for 45 mins.
    YUMMY!
  • Jennplus2
    Options
    creamed corn does have dairy...
    but thanks for answering
  • Jennplus2
    Options
    Use some low sodium chicken broth, some brown rice, some cooked chicken breast, diced onion and some frozen veggies.... bake for about an hour in a covered casserole dish. This is one of my faves... and no cheese, so no dairy. Also, any casserole that contains a "cream of" soup, you can substitute soy milk thickened with cornstarch and some chicken or vegetable broth. I used to make green bean casserole this way when my daughter was living Vegan.

Awesome to know that you can substitute soy milk thickened with cornstarch and some chicken or vegetable broth

Yay, thanks
  • becomingsara
    Options
    but thanks for answering
    Not sure which brand you have looked at, but here is an ingredients list for del monte creamed, and it is dairy free!
    http://www.epinions.com/review/Del_Monte_Fresh_Cut_Sweet_Corn_Cream_Style_Golden_14_75_oz_418_g_Del_Monte/content_526327123588
    We don't have an allergy, more of an intolerance in my house (husband myself and 3 boys), so I watch pretty carefully. Home-made creamed corn is for sure filled up with cream (hence the name) but not some of the canned ones! Good luck :0)
  • Jennplus2
    Options
    but thanks for answering
    Not sure which brand you have looked at, but here is an ingredients list for del monte creamed, and it is dairy free!
    http://www.epinions.com/review/Del_Monte_Fresh_Cut_Sweet_Corn_Cream_Style_Golden_14_75_oz_418_g_Del_Monte/content_526327123588
    We don't have an allergy, more of an intolerance in my house (husband myself and 3 boys), so I watch pretty carefully. Home-made creamed corn is for sure filled up with cream (hence the name) but not some of the canned ones! Good luck :0)

I better look again then! Thank you for telling me
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    but thanks for answering

I better look again then! Thank you for telling me

Yeah i don't eat dairy, creamed corn doesn't have any in it..just double check the label when buying and then you know what brand to buy. . . thanx for the awesome thread, i'm definitely going to try a few of these:)
  • Jennplus2
    Options
    Ok ladies,
    I looked and I was sooooo thinking of cream of corn soup, not creamed corn (the kinda mashed corn in a can right?) I was wrong, and now I can't wait to try this casserole! Thanks again, and if anyone has any more casseroles please share
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This casserole my mom used to throw together as an easy dinner (and it it!) but she didnt use exact measurements - just "enough to feed the family" so heres the guidline!

Breakfast sausages - 2/person
    enough of pasta to "feed your family"
    2 cans of condensed tomato soup
    any vegetable you have in your house cut into bite sized pieces (I like to use asperagus)
    bacon bits to cover the top

Pre-heat your oven in 350. Cook the sausages and cut them into bite sized pieces, cook the pasta al dente. If you are using fresh veggies steam them for a few minutes in the microwave. Mix all ingredients together with the soup mix. If you are using frozen veggies mix them in now. sprinkle the top with bacon bits.

I also sustitute sausage for chicken and bacon bits for parmesan (obviously not dairy free) but I am sure you could use bread crumbs too!
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    Do you have a local allergy group? They are great about having recipes, and things like that. Your Doctor maybe able to refer you to a group. You might also want to check into some cookbooks by Linda Marienhoff Coss. "What's to Eat", What Else is to Eat?" and "How to Manage Your Child's Life Threatening Food Allergies" I hope this is helpful.