Help I can't decide! Fitbit flex or Fitbit force?

Options
npostemni
npostemni Posts: 102 Member
I know this has already been posted but I still can't decide. I really love the display screen and that would be the only reason I would buy the force. I have done a ton of research and here are some of the things I like and dislike about each. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cost doesn't matter because if I go for the flex I will spend the extra $30 on changeable bands.

Flex
Pros
- small and lightweight (more so then the force)
- interchangeable bands (I love to switch accessories up)
- waterproof
Cons
- doesn't have a display screen (only the lights)

Force
Pros
- display screen

Cons
-not waterproof

Replies

• _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    WEaring the wrist band will give inaccurate readings. Fitbit One is by far a better choice. However the con is that it is very small and can be lost easily. However, I clip mine to my bra - no way it'll fall off!! I have friends with the Flex and if you are a hand talker or move your arms a lot (not walking, exercising) it will give false steps. Just an FYI.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex, my husband has the Force.

Last week I purchased the Pink band for mine. He cannot replace his band so if it stretches or breaks he has to buy an ENTIRE new Force!

I can shower wtih mine on, but I've found the water gets into the little hole the tracker goes into so I have to take it out and dry the band or I have some wetness/dampness. That's NBD though.

I have a NewBalance TRNR that I use for an HRM and it has a nice watch function, so I don't need the watch display. My husband does not wear a watch, so for him that is more of a convinience factor.

Also-- get the scale (Aria) it's pretty awesome!
  • thericks
    Options
    I've been trying to decide between the two as well. I'm going to go with the Flex. It's waterproof. I'll probably take it off in the shower anyway though. However, after reading all of the reviews the Flex sounds like a better option. I"m interested to see what others have to say on this matter.
  • npostemni
    npostemni Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    WEaring the wrist band will give inaccurate readings. Fitbit One is by far a better choice. However the con is that it is very small and can be lost easily. However, I clip mine to my bra - no way it'll fall off!! I have friends with the Flex and if you are a hand talker or move your arms a lot (not walking, exercising) it will give false steps. Just an FYI.

I lose little things like that really easily. Going on the fact I can't keep Chapstick, pens, ect for more then a day or two I don't thin the one would be a good option for me.
  • jvande141989
    Options
    I bought a Flex about a week ago and couldn't be happier with my choice. My main activities are walking and running, and it seems to track these very accurately, and after the first day or so I hardly even notice that I'm wearing it on my wrist. I don't mind not having the display because I'm not used to being able to see the time on my wrist; the dots that light up on the Flex are enough information for me because I can look at details on my computer/phone if I want them. I will say that if I weren't around a computer/smart phone all day to see my detailed step count/calorie stats, I would have gotten the Force, but the Flex syncs effortlessly to my iPhone and computer so I am quite satisfied! I think I would prefer the more detailed view that the computer & phone provide over relying on the Force display for all the information anyway.

A few mentioned the importance of the Flex being waterproof. I don't wear mine in the shower after reading others' experience with water getting caught inside the band, but it is nice to know that no matter how much I sweat I'm not going to damage the Flex.
  • getdancing2013
    getdancing2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just a couple of quick questions on these, because I'm thinking about investing in one...

1. "waterproof" - does this mean we can swim with these, or just that if we happen to get it wet it'll be okay?
    2. If I'm doing an elliptical (for example) where I'm just pumping my legs or something, will these pick up the activity correctly or do I need to be pumping my arms?

TIA :flowerforyou:
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I like my force BUT I hate the band design.

If I were to look for something again it would have to be (a) water proof, (b) have a HRM, and (c) a band that stays on all the time!

Other than that I like it.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    2. If I'm doing an elliptical (for example) where I'm just pumping my legs or something, will these pick up the activity correctly or do I need to be pumping my arms?
    I have a flex but I use a Polar FT7 for exercise. I use the force to track my day - the Polar HRM to track exercise.
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I owned a force after having a one for a while, both were lost. Looking back I think that the Screen on the Flex is better. That sounds wierd but I would get a flex over a force these days, the force is not a watch replacement, you have to turn on the screen to get the time and that is awkward. I think the flex with a real watch is the way to go. There is a new product the Garmin vivofit that I would like, the best part is an e-ink screen that is always on so you can use it like a watch.

Good luck with your decision.
  • Pr1ncessWarrior
    Pr1ncessWarrior Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I purchased the flex as I will be switching up the bands. I find it accurate as my Samsung Note phone also counts my steps and I have done a test and found them both very similar. It is a great motivational tool for me but I didnt want the digital display that way its only my business whats going on with my day.
  • Pr1ncessWarrior
    Pr1ncessWarrior Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt wear it swimming it says water resistance...l wear mine in the shower and hasnt been an issue. If you are doing the eliptical you will have to use your arms to count the steps. I do the eliptical every day and it wont count unless arms are involved. It is the same if you cycle but if you put in the exercise you will see the estimate calaries burned it just wont show as steps.
  • danahubley
    danahubley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Flex all the way. I absolutely love mine.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Water Resistant, not Water Proof. This is a big difference. So sweat and shower = fine. Probably anything prolonged such as swiming or baths and especially water park fun will not be good.

A lot of products that are water resistant are only so to about 6ft. I had a timex that was water resistant and wore that sucker to Schlitterbahn New Braunfels. I think the pressure of the moving water was what did it in. I was very sad :(
  • lisatrish
    lisatrish Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've got a fitbit and love it. Especially since it syncs with MyFitnessPal and give me credit for the extra calories I burn walking or going up the stairs so much at work. It small and discrete - I clip to the front of my bra and no one knows I'm wearing it and it syncs with my phone so I can monitor my progress through the day.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Have you compared the Basis B1 with them? I believe the new model has interchangeable bands.

I really like my basis. It appears to track a lot more than the Fitbits do, and doubles as an actual watch.

Its' not an HRM for exercise, but works fine for walking around day to day.
  • JuanJax
    Options
    I recommend Fitbit One!
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I went with the Force because I'm too big on details not to have the display screen. I wanted to be able to check my progress quickly without my phone being needed (my Android Galaxy Victory is not supported currently) and I look at my steps several times a day.

The watch function is nice to have. Someone said they don't like having to push the button but for me the alternative is digging my cell phone out of my purse/back pocket and I'd have to push the button on my phone anyway so that's okay.

I do wish it had changeable bands, I like variety. However, since so many people like that about the Flex I imagine they'll come up with something for the Force eventually. For now I just accesorize it with extra bracelets since I wear a couple on each wrist anyway.
  • frecklesandfries
    frecklesandfries Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I really love my fitbit flex! I love that it is waterproof because I have issues with taking bracelets off and forgetting to put them back on! The dots are more than enough for me and I always have my iphone with me to check my stats if I'm curious! I love that it does all the things that the force does EXCEPT for flights of stairs...although I wasn't overly concerned with that. So my vote is for the flex!!

Also- for the elliptical question mine does count it as steps and activity minutes as well as on the treadmill!
  • escapepod
    escapepod Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I got a Flex last year, and upgraded to the Force at Christmas. I think they're both great. Force gives you the added details on the display, and includes stairs climbed (elevation change), which I like for when I'm out hiking in the mountains. It also has longer battery life - approx. 10-11 days, as opposed to about 5 with the Flex. Some users have reported skin rash issues with the Force, but if you have problems their customer service is GREAT, and they'll happily refund your money or exhange it for another FitBit product. I was a little nervous about this, but I've had no issues at all with it.
    The other issue is the wrist band fastening mechanism. It definitely has a bit of a learning curve - it's really stiff the first couple of weeks, and even after it fastens more easily, it can FEEL fastened when it's not really secure. I had more problems having the Force fall off in the first month than I ever did with the Flex, but I've gotten the hang of what to check for now, and based on reports from customers on their forums, FitBit is extremely generous about replacing Forces that have gotten lost this way.
    Also, they're working on a software update that will display caller ID from your cell phone, that's supposed to work for existing Force bands. I don't know when that will roll out, and it's not a feature I care about, but it might be a factor for others.
  • csventek
    Options
    I've found that using the flex while I workout gives inaccurate readings. I always have to switch to my polar when I go to the gym, or go for a run.