Off to a very bad start. Could use a little motivation.

Options
Ok, so I know I have only been at this for a week but I am already finding it hard to stay in my 1200 calorie limit. And I also have yet to find time to workout. I mean last week alone my job had a potluck and I went over my limit for sure. And the weekends are horrible I eat out and don’t watch what I am eating. Also once I get home I start snacking on bread and stuff while I make dinner. So basically I am just looking for motivation or advice on how I can kick all these habits I have. I mean I know one major one is just will power but at the moment I seem to have none! Also since I work at 8am and get off at 5pm and don’t actually get home till around 530 or 6 it is very hard to find the time to workout. I only end up with time to make dinner, clean up, and put the little one down for the night. I can try doing it in the morning at like 430 or 5 but so far I have been unsuccessful at this. So again any advice or motivation I would greatly appreciate it! Also feel free to add me I am always welcoming new people to help me stay on track through this journey.:grumble: :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    When you want to accomplish your weight loss goal as bad as you want to breath you will do it. Until then you will cont to make excuses and fail. I have to listen to this every morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? (Age, height, weight, gender) You are probably not eating enough. I wouldn't stick with it either if someone told me to eat 1200.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? (Age, height, weight, gender) You are probably not eating enough. I wouldn't stick with it either if someone told me to eat 1200.

This. Try boosting your cal count up a few hundred. It sounds scary, but trust me, it'll be way easier to stick with, thus you'll continue to lose weight.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am 29, between 5'3 and 5'4, 172lbs, and a female.
  • firesweetheart
    firesweetheart Posts: 92 Member
    Options

^^This.

I did MFP in the past doing 1200 calories and had a disappointing experience. It was just too little food, especially with exercising regularly. I was tired, hungry, cranky and it just wasn't sustainable. Hence stopping and gaining more than all the weight I had just lost. Now, I'm much happier with a higher calorie limit and it's sustainable. I can still eat foods that I love, just in moderation.

1) Increase your calorie goal to at least 1300, if not 1400-1500. Evaluate your situation/goals and talk to your doctor about if that's a healthy amount for you.

2) Get a food scale and do your best to log and weight everything you eat. You'll be shocked but it helps with realizing what a true portion looks like.

3) Fill your fridge with easy to snack on fruits and veggies to munch on while you make dinner.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    If you have a desk job with little exercise - eat 1400 calories.

If you exercise lightly 1-3 hours/week - eat 1600 calories.

If you exercise moderately 3-5 hours/week - eat 1800 calories.

Try eating more. There's no reason to be miserable while losing weight. :)

ETA: These numbers come from:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

You need to recalculate about every 5 lbs, as your numbers will change. Find your TDEE, and then subtract 500 calories. Aim to lose ~1 lb/week. That is a sustainable, realistic weight loss. You'll probably lose more each week in the beginning, and then it will taper off.
  • mcthomas3152
    Options
    I just started and I feel like ready to make a commitment but I don't want to starve. Last time my hubby and I did a juice fast. It worked great and I felt great but the need to actually eat won over.

This time I'm still incorporating a juice in the morning. A salad with protein at lunch and another salad or veggies for dinner.

I joined the gym and started swimming in the morning but it is hard to get up so early! :o(

I just listed several goals for myself and a reward system for each 5 lbs lost. I think that might motivate me. My prizes include new clothes, iPod shuffle, Day spa, day trip etc. I'm excited to reach my goals and will give anyone who needs it encouragement if they will do the same for me!!
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I always feel myself coming back to one piece of advise that I wish someone had told me a few years ago…it's really really hard to start something great…but somehow it gets easier every day that goes by. It's the same as that first week after quitting smoking…the same thing as that first week after a bad breakup….you know the drill.
    Your mind gets on a loop, telling you it's too hard, there's no point, blah blah. Tell that voice to shut up and keep working at DOING YOU :)
    Workout at 9pm! you're sleep like the dead.
    When you go to a potluck, fill your plate right away with the veggies and a lean protein!
    You're the boss.

You can definitely change, and once the ball has been rolling awhile, you will feel like a million bucks every day you get out of bed :flowerforyou:
  • yvie63
    yvie63 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    As most people have already said - you are not eating enough which is why you cheat. I don't know how much you want to lose but if it's more than 30lbs you'd be better off probably eating around 1500 and losing at around 1-2lbs a week. This is a good healthy weight loss and the weight will stay off. The temptation is to lose it as quickly possible by dramatically cutting your calories (we've all done it!) .

Try and incorporate moving around more during your day if you can't set aside time for structured exercise routines ie take stairs instead of lift, walk as much as possible. I find planning my meals at the beginning of the day (I sometimes even log them before I have eaten them) helps me keep on track. Leave yourself a few calories every day for a treat. You just have to get organised and find a way that works for you - if you want to lose the weight you will but I'm afraid it does take effort.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You're about the same height as me, but 20 years younger. :)

I eat 1200 calories per day PLUS the calories I earn from exercise. We ladies of short stature don't have the luxury of eating a lot more calories and still being able to lose weight. My advice would be to stick to 1200 calories per day plus your exercise calories. It will give you more motivation to exercise some because then you'll be able to eat more.

I'm not saying this negatively, but as far as the exercise, it sounds like you're making excuses for not being able to do any. That is probably because you're of the mindset that in order to do it "right" you need to do it for an hour or more at a time. Not so! Squeeze in 15 minutes here and 30 minutes there. Every little bit counts! Take a walk during your breaks. I walk on my two 15 minute breaks each day and a couple of days each week (the days I don't run) I walk a half hour at lunch. Just that amount of walking, plus my normal walking around each day, is enough to hit 10,000 steps (~5 miles) per day. You can also do toe raises while you brush your teeth, leg lifts while watching TV and situps or pushups during the commercial breaks. Use any free moments as a chance to move a little.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    While you are preparing dinner, pop a piece of gum in your mouth. You'll think twice before grazing. OR, snack on baby carrots while you get dinner going- that's my go-to. Baby steps on changing your habits. Good luck!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to lose 1 pound per week. I know, you want it gone now, but this is more sustainable and will give you a more reasonable calorie goal. This is a marathon, not a sprint, it is going to take some time, but it will be worth it. Do your best, but realize also that "life happens" and you should learn how to incorporate treats and special occasions into your goals. Portion size is everything.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input I will defiantly look into all of this! Now if only I can find time to do my workout videos!