I'm curious.. I may purchase some.

Replies

• WoodChuckNorris
    Options
    To me, pretty bland. But you can add seasoning
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    It tastes like nothing to me, so I usually add a bit of chicken stock powder, or some other seasoning.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I think it tastes like quinoa.

:laugh:

It tastes good to me. Kind of a nutty flavor, a springy consistency. Needs to be rinsed before cooking, or it can be bitter. It's better with seasonings, butter, etc.
  • justinproulx1
    Options

It tastes good to me. Kind of a nutty flavor, a springy consistency. Needs to be rinsed before cooking, or it can be bitter. It's better with seasonings, butter, etc.

HAHAHA OMG so funny
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options

+1
  • catnipburrito
    Options
    Bitterness and regret
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    A bit like heaven. Also, a bit like fish eggs.
  • 135OHK
    135OHK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    CRAP! Plus it gave me tons of gas! :blushing:
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Bitterness and regret

I agree
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I only like the prewashed from Costco. Cook up with low sodium chick broth. tastes like a nutty rice pilaf to me
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Rather bland. You'll need to spice it up (e.g., some chicken broth instead of water).
    Think of it as a blank canvas for you to create a new dish.
    Good mix of nutrients, so worth a try.
  • yeah it's taste kind of nutty, I love it..look up receipes on line
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    it doesn't have much flavor, the red quinoa is a bit nuttier. I make it like it says on the bag but only about a serving size at a time. Then I saute some zucchini and onions and add to it, then add some Italian seasoning and about a 1/4 cup of tomato sauce, then sprinkle with a tiny bit of itlalian cheese
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa- I use it in stirfry instead of rice. It's got about the same amount of calories as brown rice, but a little less carbs and a little more protein. I've found you can use it in place of rice in a quite a few things. I actually like the texture of it better than rice, but that's a personal preference. It has a bit more bite to it (if you cook it properly and don't let it steam to mush).

Just put 1 part quinoa and 2 parts water in a pot, bring to a boil, turn burner to lowest setting, cover with a lid, and cook for 12-15 minutes (depending on how firm you want it). Then flavor/season it how you like, toss it in to some sautéed veggies and chicken for stirfry, roll it up with beans and steak in a burrito.... whatever fits your fancy. :)

It's worth a try for sure!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    It's kinda of like tofu...It absorbs the flavor of whatever you cook it with - otherwise, not much taste to it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Bitterness and regret

I agree

Because you have to rinse it well first, of course.
  • middleton110
    middleton110 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone else has said. Haha. Nutty, similar to rice, can be crunchy. The only problem I have with it is that I always get some stuck in my molars. :|
  • evitaevita12
    evitaevita12 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Like bird seed, according to my husband, lol... Tastes like rice to me just a little lighter in texture. I love it. Mix it up with any veggies, mushroom, meat and voila!!!!
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options

This. I just add butter. And yes, rinse a couple times first before cooking. I'll bet many miss that part. Goes good with a grilled chicken breast. Good stuff! I prefer it to rice.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I love it, you can make it savory or sweet. Today I had quinoa, 1 egg, blackberries, cinnamon and brown sugar all mixed together and microwaved. The other night I had quinoa with black beans, taco spice and mushrooms. It's very versatile.