Almond Substitute

Hi there :3

Does anyone have a substitute snack for almonds? I know they're full of protein but I just don't like'em and hate eating them (same goes with walnuts and, well, basically almost every other nut out there except the less healthy ones like cashews). I'm just looking for that quick grab and go snack that I can have in lieu of the classic "handful of almonds."

Thanks!

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Pistachios...just as Colbert. Peanuts aren't really that bad...same with cashews. When you look at the nutritional value, they're all closer than you think.
  • Pistachios...just as Colbert. Peanuts aren't really that bad...same with cashews. When you look at the nutritional value, they're all closer than you think.

I thought cashews were higher in fat and one of those big 'no-no's' they like to throw at you.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    I wouldn't say they are loaded with protein... for the calorie count, they're actually a low protein snack... most people eat them for the healthy fats. Try a tablespoon or two of peanut butter or almond butter on some celery or something as an exchange.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Pistachios...just as Colbert. Peanuts aren't really that bad...same with cashews. When you look at the nutritional value, they're all closer than you think.

I will eat anything Colbert is selling.

I eat the no sodium Pistachios. Not as exciting, but still good :)
  • I wouldn't say they are loaded with protein... for the calorie count, they're actually a low protein snack... most people eat them for the healthy fats. Try a tablespoon or two of peanut butter or almond butter on some celery or something as an exchange.

That I can do :3
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Cashews are fine! Delicious, even. They're my favorite nut to snack on, and I like them in things like curries too. Just control your portions and you are good to go.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    What makes cashews unhealthy?:huh:

If you don't like something, don't eat it. Simple.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member

I thought cashews were higher in fat and one of those big 'no-no's' they like to throw at you.

There is nothing wrong with fat.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member

They may be higher in fat but pretty sure a serving is still right around 160-200 cals...just like almonds. And like Mary said, there are better protein options if that is your concern.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member

They may be higher in fat but pretty sure a serving is still right around 160-200 cals...just like almonds. And like Mary said, there are better protein options if that is your concern.

:flowerforyou:
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    I'm a big fan of roasted salted sunflower seeds out of the shell, sooo tasty and quite satisfying, usually like a quarter cup is enough to keep me going if I'm hungry and need a quick snack.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    I've been making a 'trail mix' with my almonds (or cashews) by putting 1/8 cup of golden raisins in the snack bag with the 1/2 oz of nuts. It is such a great combo!
  • Awesome, thanks everybody :3
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Babybell cheese and little snack baggies of vegetables- carrots, bell pepper strips, etc.?