My oatmeal needs help

Options
So, day one, and I realized pretty early this morning that I don't like plain oatmeal. I thought it would be a good idea, because I remember liking it when I was little and my grandma would make it for me. Apparently grandma used a bunch of sugar to make it taste good...great when I was 5, not such a good idea now. Anyone have any healthy tips for jazzing it up a bit and making it edible?

Replies

• jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Once the oatmeal is cooked, try stirring in a scoop of vanilla protein powder and a bit of cinnamon...... If you have room in your calorie "budget", you could also put in a bit of diced apple.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    - Freshly chopped Apple and Cinnamon
    - Honey
    - Splenda
    - Sultanas or rasins
    - Berry's
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of threads already devoted to oatmeal. Just do a search. I did one called "How do you like your oatmeal.

Hope this helps. Welcome to MFP, you will find a lot of support and good friends here! :flowerforyou:
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    1 cup Almond Breeze vanilla unsweetened
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup oats
    2 packets Splenda
    Cinnamon
    Cook for about 10 minutes.

Makes a nice big serving!
  • denis0313
    Options
    i usually add fresh blueberries and wheat germ to mine.
  • donbogi
    donbogi Posts: 175
    Options
    - Freshly chopped Apple and Cinnamon
    - Honey
    - Splenda
    - Sultanas or rasins
    - Berry's

I agree - raisins definitely helps when eating plain oatmeal!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with almond milk, cinnamon, and half of a banana thinnly sliced. Whipping the banana in it while cooking it gives it that sweetness with no sugar needed. I've never had to add sugar to mine. I also use sugar free maple syrup sometimes.

I also recently started adding in egg whites near the end of its cooking time. Haha. It's so good. I'm gonna experiment with egg beaters soon.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have been adding in dried cranberries and cinnamon. Yseterday and today I also put in 4 banana chips and 6 alomnds, both really cut fine for flavor and texture, along witht he cranberries.
    You can also add in a little bit of sugar free or low calorie syrup or honey.

Basically play around and see what you end up loving. Get creative with your flavor combos!

I have also added in sliced banana and a TBS of natural peanut butter. That was a great one! Very good and very nutritionally packed!
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Try this blog: http://livewell360.com/2008/11/30-day-oatmeal-challenge/

It has links to 30 different ways to eat oatmeal.

Something that I've been doing with my oatmeal lately is adding pumpkin puree to it. I make 1/3 cup of oatmeal, add 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree and a little bit of maple syrup for sweetness. It's delicious!
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal every morning (I use Coach's Oats), and I usually throw in a chopped apple that I've microwaved for a minute with cinnamon and nutmeg. The apple gets nice and sweet once it's "baked" in the microwave, so I never feel the need to add sugar.

But for an alternative ... and this is going to sound weird ... I occasionally go the savory route and stir in scrambled egg beaters (or egg whites), salt, and fresh cracked pepper. Maybe even a bit of meatless sausage (I like Boca links).
  • jddotson68
    Options
    Ground cinnamon and a tablespoon of honey.
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    I 100% agree with jerzypeach.

I stir in a scoop of Vanilla Protein Powder and a bit of Cinnamon most days.

The other thing I do (which most thing is gross) is stir in a half a scoop of Dannon Lite n Fit Vanilla Yogurt.

I recommend the Yogurt if you are trying to keep calories low. I recommend the other for you don't mind the extra protein/calories.
  • BeemersMom
    Options
    For those who don't like sweet stuff for breakfast, baby spinach and shredded cheddar in the oatmeal....cook the oats as directed, toss the spinach in the bowl, cover with the oatmeal, sprinkle some 2% shredded cheddar on it and micro until the cheese melts - good!!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Every morning I mix in 1/3 chopped apple, 2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts, 1 or 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup, lots of cinnamon, and sometimes 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed.

Today I was out of apple, so I added half of a sliced banana.
  • mabella17
    Options
    I like pomegranates and strawberries with 1 packet of sweet & low in mine. Very yummy :smile:
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I was the same with oatmeal. I needed to eat it because it was healthy for me and it made me full for a long time but I had to add butter/margarine and sugar and that wasn't healthy. I tried honey and it wasn't bad but I have found 2 things that I like really well.

My favorite is banana. I cut it up just like I do when I put it in cold cereal but I put it in with my oatmeal before I cook it and it is SO good. I don't need butter nor do I need sugar. I can eat it just like that.

Also, I'm a big fan of the flavored oatmeals because I don't have to have butter or sugar in those either. They are higher in calories but if it helps me to cut back on my sugar and fat then I'm all for it. Some brands or flavor can be a little strong on the flavor so I just mix some regualr oatmeal in with a packet of the flavored kind.

Good luck on finding something that works for you. And congrats on trying to step it up a notch and work on this one area for improvement.

:-)

- Eva
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Craisins, cinnamon and splenda brown sugar. I add it to Steel Cut Oats and cook it in a small crock pot. Wonderful warm breakfast to wake up too. I top with fat free 1/2 and 1/2 as an added treat!
  • Starrotts
    Options
    fat free banana yogurt...mmmmmmmmmm
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have been adding a Tsp of unsweetend home made applesauce, mmm yummy!
  • jenocelot
    Options
    I disliked oatmeal for years, and recently was at a breakfast restaurant, didn't want fatty eggs, etc, and thought how about it? Good stuff.!!

Now oatmeal has become my favorite breakfast! Many above suggestions sound wonderful -- yum, blueberries! I like dried cherries and/or currants, and a touch of cinnamon. So quick and easy too. Great way to get fiber and protein in.