Using the weight machines at the gym

NO idea how to even go about this. The trainer wants money I don't have, so that isn't going to work. BUT, I can look up how to do the exercises on YouTube and get a good idea of how to do them, so that isn't the problem.

HERE is the problem:
What do I do, for how many reps and sets, and when do I do it? I want to lose weight and tone. I do about an hour of cardio between treadmill and biking, and I'd like to add onto that some toning to keep my skin from being flappy and get my arms and legs bag. (Gosh I used to have gorgeous arms and legs... but I digress) I guess what I would like is someone who is in the know, or who does a weight machine workout, to help me find a site that will help me build one to my VERY beginner needs (I can't even do a push up people), and help me to work up to getting more toned and fit.

Replies

• cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    Start with low weights, put more weight on each and every time you go. Keep a note of it and don;t be distracted or tempted to get ahead of yourself.

I do stronglifts 5x5 - it starts on very low weight and builds to bloody heavy in not a long time. You are expected to fail some reps 5x5 - and if so, you go lighter by 10% and go again next time..

Just keep adding the weight to get stronger....
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    I recommend using youtube videos as a good go-to for "how" to lift weights or tone. I've been using youtube videos for myself to get back into the working-out mode myself. Don't worry, I can't do a push-up either! Not even one where I'm on my knees! I saw that you can do one standing with a wall to start with, then use a bench/couch, then work towards knees, then finally the real push-up. So sad since I used to do push-ups all the time in high school no problem.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    I found some good info here - there is a work out plan that will help. Remember to work in to it gradually so you don't over strain your muscles http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Since you're willing to do your research on the internet/You Tube I'd suggest researching free weight exercises, not weight machines. Weight machines stabilize your body too much and in a lot of cases move your body in unnatural movements.
  • Tigger31179
    Tigger31179 Posts: 57 Member
    Cmsmj - I will look it up, thanks!

blb85 - Glad I'm not the only one! A lot of stuff I'm finding want me to do pull ups, and I don't have any luck with those either. I know I will once I build some muscles, and I know there are ways to work up to doing push ups, pull ups and chin ups, I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and do the build up exercises and look like a goofball! ;)

Nice2bfit2014 - Great site! Thanks so much

Leadfood - I feel more comfortable using the machines because I don't have a work out buddy to spot me, and I'm not asking one of the "buff dudes" to do it! lol

Edit - Apparently my fingers decided to send before I was ready. LOL
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Cmsmj - I will look it up, thanks!

blb85 - Glad I'm not the only one! A lot of stuff I'm finding want me to do pull ups, and I don't have any luck with those either. I know I will once I build some muscles, and I know there are ways to work up to doing push ups, pull ups and chin ups, I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and do the build up exercises and look like a goofball! ;)

Nice2bfit2014 - Great site! Thanks so much

Leadfood - I feel more comfortable using the machines because I don't have a work out buddy to spot me, and I'm not asking one of the "buff dudes" to do it! lol

Edit - Apparently my fingers decided to send before I was ready. LOL

You should reconsider free weights. You don't have to bench press 200lbs for free weights to be beneficial. Try doing some over the head presses, or squats with the dumbbell. There's lots of exercises that you can do where you don't need a spotter. They really do help with your core muscles and stability control. I use both machines and free weights, and I can really tell the difference. Bodybuilding.com is a great site, so is nerdfitness. I use New Rules of Lifting for Women to give me a great plan of action. Good Luck! Weight lifting is very empowering.
  • Hi Tigger!

I'll jump on the message of trying to eventually work your way up to free weights as well...but I understand it can be a little daunting at first.

I honestly find using dumbbells to be much easier and intuitive than machines. Since your goal is to build a little muscle, here's what I would suggest as far as progression goes, whether you're using machines or free weights:

1) Find a weight that you struggle to complete the last 2-3 reps of in a 10-rep set.
    2) Do 3-4 sets, resting 30-60 second between sets OR do another exercise inbetween that uses a different muscle group. (For instance, 10 reps of a leg press followed by 10 reps of a dumbbell overhead press)
    3) Once the last 2-3 reps aren't hard, add another rep until you get to 15 reps.
    4) Once 15 reps isn't difficult for the last 2-3 reps, increase the weight and start over at 10 reps (or less if you can't get 10)

I really enjoyed this site when I was learning free weights at first: http://www.stumptuous.com/category/training/dork_to_diva

As well, don't think that the buff bros are the only ones allowed to use the free weight area! When you're just starting out you don't really need a spotter anyway since you wouldn't be using weights you couldn't handle. And you don't need a spotter for dumbbells at all :)

Let me know if I can help any further.
  • Tigger31179
    Tigger31179 Posts: 57 Member
    I love all the replies!

I will definitely consider free weights since I've had a few folks here mention them. I am trying to talk a few of my friends into working out with me. I really think that would make it much more fun.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member

Start with dumbbells and work your way up to a barbell. The "buff dudes" are too worried about looking at themselves to worry about what you're doing anyways. :smile:

Here's a good article on the topic:

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2014/02/05/squats-presses-and-deadlifts-why-gyms-dont-teach-the-only-exercises-you-need/
  • I once had to ask a 'buff dude' to help (I was stuck in the leg press, ha ha) and my impression is that they love it! They are usually incredibly supportive and have some good tips.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    It may be worth it to do one session with a trainer. And make it clear that you cannot afford to be a client, but just pay for an hour for them to show you how to use the machines. Then you'll know you're doing it correctly.