Help! Working out when kids won't let you...

Options
124»

Replies

• jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Any chance of having a friend or neighbor come over for a bit to help out or hire a babysitter afterschool for an hour?

You dont' even need to hire a teenager for this - since you are home and just need someone to entertain the baby for a bit (and maybe the 4 year old) Find a Preteen in the neighborhood that you can hire cheap - my 11 yo would LOVE to play with a baby for an hour and if you tossed her a couple (and I really do mean a couple) of dollars she would be in heaven - mostly she would do it for free! When I was about her age - I used to play with the next door neighbor for a couple hours and the mom would give me like $1 an hour (yes this was a long time ago) and I thought it was the greatest thing on earth.

You get some time and they get babysitting experience. In a couple years - you'd have a great teenage sitter for date night too!
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hey Kara... well, I have an 8 month old who does the same thing to me. I *try* to get into the gym after hubby is home in the evening and I can leave her with him. If that works, great, but if not... I really try to get some form of exercise in *with* the baby. There are all kinds of mommy-baby exercises you can do, using the little one as resistance. My daughter seems to enjoy it a lot, so even though I'm not sure I've ever gotten like a full-body workout with her, I can get a pretty good sweat.

I have the 30-day shred DVD, and I've put my daughter on the floor in front of me and done the video, I've done it enough that I have parts of it memorized, so I can skip a rep or two and get down and tickle her or something throughout while it's playing.
    It's seriously a lot of work, LOL... but I figure I'm getting the calories burned and that's what matters.

*shrug* it works for me, and my daughter crawls all over the place! But it's fun, I get *some* exercise, and as long as I'm paying attention to her and involving her, it goes better.
  • jessicasdelgado
    jessicasdelgado Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old and a 13 month old and can find working out difficult too. I can usually workout during nap but I like to use that time to clean. So, a friend (another stay at home mom) and I have been switching off. I watch her kids while she works out, she watches mine while I work out. Do you know anyone who'd be willing to do that with you?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    This might be a dumb question, bad question, or insensitive, but... why do you need to wait for your husband to get home? Is he on a different work schedule?

I personally get up at 4:15 to not affect anyone.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old and work out when they go to bed during the week. I work full time so nap time is not an option. (on the weekends I do go out during the 2 year old's nap time) I found nighttime to be the only consistent time that they are asleep.. I also found it difficult in the mornings because that seems to be more inconsistent than nighttime. Once I starting working out late for awhile, my body got used to it and I can fall asleep just fine.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Finally some constructive Comments!!!

Thanks to those with constructive comments. I appreciate it.!! Because I have tried it all with him. I did get a few new ideas though so i am gonna give some of them a go!!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45, too. Not fun, but you get used to it...eventually.
  • Kara52217
    Options
    This might be a dumb question, bad question, or insensitive, but... why do you need to wait for your husband to get home? Is he on a different work schedule?

I personally get up at 4:15 to not affect anyone.

I could wake up to workout early but when I have tried the baby seems to beat me to the punch.. EVERYTIME I have tried LOL
    Plus I am nursing him still so that would also be an issue right now.. Once I am done with that it won't be such a big deal.

As far as hubby goes he works in IT so he gets home anytime between 4 pm and 7 pm and could get called and have to jump on the phone to work at anytime since he is technically on call 24/7.. He doesn't get called TOO often but he could.

PS your question wasn't insensitive at all... Direct yet a real question, not accusing of anything... I appreciate that...
  • Kara52217
    Options
    When my daughter was about 5 to 8 months old (she's 2 years now), I would put her in a high chair where she could see me and I could see her. I gave her toys and snacks (if it was snack time). Every time she'd freak out over dropping a toy I would quickly pick it up or if my hubby or my oldest were around they'd get it for her. I actually have a picture of her napping in her high chair because she got bored watching me workout to one of my DVDs. I knew she was safe and she was where I could see her. Also, if I laid her down for a nap and she woke up while I was working out I would let her cry while I finished.

This. When my little guy was younger I'd plan my workout around his lunch/snack time. He'd be in his highchair eating/snacking and I'd be doing my workout while he watches me. I may have to cut the workout short sometimes but meh that's just the way it is. Now that he's almost 3 that is a total different story..... LOL

We just started him on "finger foods" AKA Cheerios and puffs today so I am SOOO Trying the snack thing while I workout.. I honestly hadn't thought of this idea... LOVE IT
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It's so hard with babies!!! I'm not help. Just empathizing!
  • jlmuise25
    jlmuise25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was about 5 to 8 months old (she's 2 years now), I would put her in a high chair where she could see me and I could see her. I gave her toys and snacks (if it was snack time). Every time she'd freak out over dropping a toy I would quickly pick it up or if my hubby or my oldest were around they'd get it for her. I actually have a picture of her napping in her high chair because she got bored watching me workout to one of my DVDs. I knew she was safe and she was where I could see her. Also, if I laid her down for a nap and she woke up while I was working out I would let her cry while I finished.

I did have someone suggest putting him in something by me and I am gonna try that tomorrow. He is crawling so he doesn't like to be "stuck" but I am willing to try it .. Cant hurt ...

Did you get the opportunity to try this out yet? Just curious. I know how frustrating it can be.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I totally understand, I can not do it while the kids are up . Mine are a half yrs older than yours ( 5yr old, 14 months old) , and until a few months ago I couldn't manage it. If I tried to get up early, they got up early. If I tried at naptime, the baby waked up even if she started to sleep 5 minutes before. I tried putting her in the excersaucer to watch me, she cried like a madman. I tried to do it while she seemed to be occupied with toys, but in a minute later she was totting around me trying to climb on me, stealing my weights etc.
    As I work/school full time, I do most of my housework after the kids are in bed, and by the time I finished doing housework, I was too exhausted to work out.
    then somebody mentioned to me to do the workout right after i put the kids to bed BEFORE I start to do housework . That is what I have been doing lately and so far 28 days without missing a single workout , yay!
    some day kids are in bed by 7:30 and I finish my workout by 8 pm, other days, they go to bed 8 pm, I finish working out by 8:30.
    I just go to the basement so I do not wake the kids with the noise.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    When my son was young, I would incorporate him into my workouts.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    While many will tell you to just "let him cry it out" I can only imagine how much you will enjoy that work out - not at all.

My suggestion? Do you have a stroller? Put him in and take the kids for a long walk. A double stroller would be awesome too because 1) added weight 2) you could go faster. If it's too cold - do you have a mall? Walk with them at the mall.

You could also work out after they go to bed at night. Might not be ideal, but better than nothing.

Good luck!

This.

Also, have you considered that playing with your children IS real exercise? Try bench pressing your 7 month old; they love it. There are many benefits to including your children in what you are doing, even exercise.
  • sirabbadon
    sirabbadon Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    One word. Chloroform.
  • ChronoPhantasm
    ChronoPhantasm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If the sound from the tv is waking your child up, you could possibly try getting some wireless headphones to work out while he's asleep. Don't worry, if he starts crying and screaming you should still be able to hear if you need to check on him. I hope this helps if the other things haven't.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Really.. Nobody??

I used to include the kids into my workouts. Look up baby and me workouts. I used to use my babies as weights and lay on the floor and do sit ups with them or hold them while standing and do squats. My toddlers or older aged kids used to join me in my workout videos. I learned when my kdis were young that if you cant beat em then join em. so to speak. Back when my boys were little my biggest role model was denise Austin. she has kids and works out with them and even when pregnant. I had a bunch of her videos and she always talked about it. There is always the stroller too. It may not be the workouts you pictured yourself doing but it gets you sweaty nonetheless. I promise that. Make it "dance time" and put in some music and dance aroumd with the kids and baby. Things like this will all help. Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy them while they are little. They grow up fast. Believe me.