How detrimental is stress / anxiety to weight loss?

Options
Hiya, I suffer from chronic anxiety and stress. Since joining the gym and exercising frequently and eating better, this has been reduced significantly. Though I still have anxiety and stress issues several times every day. I'm going to a psychologist to help get that sorted. I've done lots of breathing techniques and tried to find things that can relax me and relieve tension. I've gone from feeling stressed / anxious 24/7 from the moment I woke up to the moment I've gone to bed to a drastic reduction but it's definitely still there during certain moments every day.

With that being said, I've read some things that have suggested that weight retention could be the cause of stress or anxiety. I'm having success with my weight loss, but some weeks my weight loss is higher than others. My routine is as consistent as it can be, as well as my caloric intake. The only inconsistency in my life now is my stress and anxiety levels. I'm not sure if I'm retaining weight some weeks due to that or not.

Does anyone have experience with that?

Replies

• Bruggush
    Options
    Anyone?
  • 1983ashleigh
    1983ashleigh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    From everything I have read it states how stress does cause the body to hold onto fatty deposits. However, congrats for doing everything you are to overcome it. I had a friend who went through something similar, and she said her life changed after she read the "Happiness Project." She no longer deals with those urges & has actually lost about 20-30 pounds.

Good luck with your goals. It sounds like you are on the way to get there!
  • ShannonMJ2012
    ShannonMJ2012 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I, too, struggle with anxiety and depression. I think that both of those things combined with stress do detract from weight-loss efforts. For one thing, stress/depression are exhausting. Anxiety is exhausting too but it's a different type of exhaustion. I know what it means to wake up feeling anxious and be unable to shake the feeling. It's truly awful. I'm currently taking 2 different medications for it. I also do yoga. Yoga has helped a lot. I know you've tried the breathing techniques so that's nothing new to you but yoga should help calm you. try to do it in a darkish room and give yourself a long relaxation period. Try Kundalini yoga if you haven't already. That one focuses on breathing.
    I think there was also a Nat Geo study done on stress. It was either Nat Geo or Discovery.
    Try this workbook too...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1569754152/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Let me know if you find anything that works for you.

SJ
  • Bruggush
    Options
    I've been trying to listen to relaxing music as well.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Stress/anxiety can hinder or sometimes help weight loss. It really all depends. I've read that stress can cause belly fat, which is unhealthy. Also, being stressed often causes poorer sleep which again, can hinder weight loss.

On the flip side, someone with high anxiety often burns more calories or doesn't have as big of an appetite.

I've had anxiety my entire life and I've gone all over the place with my weight. I'd say just keep doing what you're doing - exercise and eating right. The weight will continue to drop. And the more weight you lose, the less stress you'll have (at least about weight).

Also be careful with meds. Some antidepressants I've been on have helped my anxiety, but also made me a fat lazy slob.

And not sure if you're an animal person, but pets can be great stress relievers. Maybe consider rescuing one from a shelter (please don't buy from a pet store/breeder).