Not losing weight- Help

Options
I have not lose a single pound after doing gym 3 days a week and eating around 1200-1300 calories in day. help? what to do? I am 173 lb.

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You need to open your diary so we can see what you eat. Also, depending on what you're doing at the gym, you may not be eating enough if you're not eating back your exercise calories.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Chances are you're not accurately logging your food. Get a food scale and start weighing portions.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying to lose?
    Do you weigh your food?
    Since your diary isn't open do you log every thing you consume?
    Why are you eating 1200 calories?
  • swetasinghm
    swetasinghm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How to open the diary.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    If you go to MFP My Home click on Settings then click Diary settings.... about half way down you will see the option to make it public
  • swetasinghm
    swetasinghm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1200 calories because myfitnesspal has suggested me when i enter my goal weight and duration. My goal weight is 130 lb in next 6 months from Jan. 1 month already passed. Not a single pound lost.
    Made my diary public.
    jwhited71- Did you lost 99 lb ? Congrats for that. how much time does it take?
    Thanks for help
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You need to open your diary so we can see what you eat. Also, depending on what you're doing at the gym, you may not be eating enough if you're not eating back your exercise calories.

Can't see how not eating back her exercise calories means she would not lose weight, bad logic, she needs to eat less volume or different types of food, the diary will only help if it is accurate, either way she needs less calories not more, with most the first month is the one where you tend to lose the most so something is wrong
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You don't seem to be eating the best quality food. Compared to other things you eat, it seems fruits/veggies are low on your list of foods to eat.

& as much as I know calories are what matters, you do seem to be eating a lot of carbs. You could try and see if it helps if you try to stick to a lower carb amount. Might work, might not.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    I am eating 1200 calories because myfitnesspal has suggested me when i enter my goal weight and duration. My goal weight is 130 lb in next 6 months from Jan. 1 month already passed. Not a single pound lost.
    Made my diary public.
    jwhited71- Did you lost 99 lb ? Congrats for that. how much time does it take?
    Thanks for help

Yes I lost 99 lbs in just over 13 months. Thanks!

I took a look at your diary and it doesn't look like you are weighing your food. That really does make a difference with accuracy. Because of this you are probably eating more than you think. Also what are you drinking? Does it have calories? If so you need to log that as well.

Read this thread it might really help you out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • hilts1969
    Options
    You don't seem to be eating the best quality food. Compared to other things you eat, it seems fruits/veggies are low on your list of foods to eat.

& as much as I know calories are what matters, you do seem to be eating a lot of carbs. You could try and see if it helps if you try to stick to a lower carb amount. Might work, might not.

Agree with this as a healthy diet it is pretty bad no offence, you are over your calories, have way too many carbs and are eating too much processed food, your protein is too low, if you are not measuring well and add in the presumption that the calories in processed food are likely to be inaccurate

A good rule of thumb where possible is to try and do the following

Weigh everything for a while
    avoid as much as possible processed food if it hasn't come out of the ground,, walked around or fallen out of a tree but is in a jar or packet leave it alone
    cut back on rice,bread potatoes as much as possible

cheese slices,chapati and rice is not the way to go
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Agree with this as a healthy diet it is pretty bad no offence, you are over your calories, have way too many carbs and are eating too much processed food, your protein is too low, if you are not measuring well and add in the presumption that the calories in processed food are likely to be inaccurate

avoid as much as possible processed food if it hasn't come out of the ground,, walked around or fallen out of a tree but is in a jar or packet leave it alone

No I eat lots of processed food, eating potatoes right now.... It's about calories in calories out to lose weight.
  • crecks12
    Options
    I agree that the amount of carbs you are eating is high. Eggs are a great protein in the morning as opposed to just toast. For lunch I have my carbs with veggies and protein, so I have the day to burn them off and for dinner protein and veggies and a small portion of carbs if any. Greek yogurt is a great snack as it is high in protein and protein is what keeps you fuller longer. I add fruit to my breakfasts and lunches and if I'm hungry at night go for some veggies. It is tough at first but you'll feel lighter and like a million bucks after a few days of cutting down the carbs. Don't totally cut then out though! It's all about moderation :)
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You're wasting a lot of calories on foods that aren't nutrient dense (fried foods, white rice, different kinds of bread, etc.). You could easily up your protein intake by another 40 or 50g (aim for 1g per pound of lean body mass), eat a lot more fruits and vegetables, and switch the simple carbs for more complex ones that will take longer to digest and will make you feel full longer. You don't have to cut out things you enjoy like chipati, but eat one of them instead of several and maybe don't eat them every day. It's all about moderation and learning how to fit things into your calorie and macronutrient goals.

You might take a look at this calculator to make sure you've set a realistic calorie goal for how much exercise you get and how much weight you'd like to lose: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

More often than not, a 1200 calorie diet isn't the right fit, no matter what MFP suggests. Make sure you have your weekly goal weight set realistically. 2 pounds/week is only right if you have 75+ pounds to lose; otherwise, 1 pound is probably a better fit. Once you find the right calorie goal and macros, you need to stick with them. Consistently going over with your calories will mean you'll be eating at maintenance or gaining weight.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree with the comments above. Though you would think that it all comes down to straight mathematics, it's not that simple. Your body will respond best when you are eating clean, whole foods. Aim to eat foods with less than 5 ingredients. You'd be surprised how hard it is, but there are great foods out there that will satisfy and keep you full, such as:

Eggs
    Greek Yogurt
    Nuts
    Peanut Butter (Trader Joe's is my favorite!)
    Fruits
    Veggies
    Homemade tuna or egg salad
    Rice Cakes (if you are craving a crunch)

What type of exercise are you doing? You may need to add more than 3 days a week and ramp up intensity in order to achieve your goals within the set timeframe.
  • hilts1969
    Options

No I eat lots of processed food, eating potatoes right now.... It's about calories in calories out to lose weight.

Hence the word CUT BACK. Well done eating lots of processed food i am impressed, however healthier foods are better for you end of it is not even an argument
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Hence the word CUT BACK. Well done eating lots of processed food i am impressed, however healthier foods are better for you end of it is not even an argument

Depends on what your end goal is right now the OP was only concerned with why they aren't losing weight. Not arguing at all but because they eat processed foods and carbs etc is not why they aren't losing. It's because they aren't in a deficit.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Looking at your dairy, it looks like you have gone over on calories almost everyday not to mention over your carbs. Try to cut back on your carbs and eat more fruits and vegetables with lean meat. Also try upping your calorie burn while at the gym. Aim for around 300 calorie burned 3 or more days a week. Also add in strength training.
  • Zeppgirrl1316
    Zeppgirrl1316 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How long have you been working out/cutting your calories. I was 174 when I started and it took about 3 weeks to start losing weight.

also what I have noticed is it isn't so much how many calories I ate but what I eat.

I make sure that about half of my food is either fruits or veggies. I also need to drink a lot of water.

Even though it may seem like you're doing everything right you need to make sure that you're doing it in a health way.
    hope this helps!
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I know for me 1200 calories did not work at all. Calculater your BMR http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ and DO NOT eat lower than that. Use that as your calorie goal if you have too. That is what worked for me.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Try eating more vegetables and fresh fruit, and eating less white flour and sugar. It seems like the main part of your diet is white flour and sugar. It makes it harder to lose weight without enough fiber and protein. Also try to drink about 8 glasses of water a day. I'd also suggest sticking to your calorie count and not going over. Some easy meals would be things like eggs/cottage cheese for breakfast, a large salad with tuna or chicken or beans for lunch (stick to 2 Tbsp dressing), lean protein such as chicken for dinner with 2 servings of cooked veggies for dinner. And some healthy snacks, such as 1/4 cup nuts, a string cheese stick, a serving of diet pudding, some turkey pepperoni, etc.