Hyptothyroidism?

PaleoIsPossible
PaleoIsPossible Posts: 65
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey Everyone

I just found out recently over the summer that I have hypothyroidism.
Luckily it's not too severe, although I am taking synthroid for it. But for those of you that have it, I was wondering if you feel like it's prevented you from losing weight as easily, and just your experience with it. Despite so many people having it, I've still yet to meet someone who has it...

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I don't have it, but my dog does, and it definitely caused her to gain weight. When she got on the medication, she lost a lot of weight...HTH
  • I've been diagnosed with it for over 2 years and it has definitely caused some problems with weight gain and with losing weight. I started the carb lovers diet back in August and have lost 20 pounds, but it's hard. I too take synthroid. 50 mcg a day. I only wished I had been diagnosed quicker with it and maybe I could have stopped the 50 pound weight gain. I've always been a very petite woman and the weight gain has thrown me all out of whack. I find if I restrict my caloric intake to 1200 or less a day, I do really well and lose the weight. Good luck to you!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    I've been dealing with it for over 12 years. I had put on weight and was finding it IMPOSSIBLE to lose it!! I made an appointment with my doctor and yep, thyroid was an issue. She put me on levoxyl and I have been on it ever since.

While it is perhaps harder to get weight off, it is not impossible. Especially if you are properly medicated which I feel I now am.

I have lost almost 25 lbs in just over 2 months. I'm exercising daily and doing my best to come in under my calories.

Don't look at it as a death sentence - I would recommend doing some research, staying medicated and sticking to whatever plan works best for you! The weight will move with some determination!
  • soundtrack
    soundtrack Posts: 57 Member
    I too have hypothyroidism. Make sure you're taking vitamin D/calcium daily. Everyone here, including 2YO & 5YO, take 1000 IU of Vitamin D. Our multi-vitamin has calcium- It's my understand the medication can deplete our bones so it's even more important you get this nutrient daily.

Anything else we can help you with?
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 11 and have been on 50mcg of Synthroid ever since. Well, actually, I was switched to levothyroxine when it became available however many years ago that was, but I have heard debates as to whether or not it works as well as Synthroid for some people (because we are ALL different). I have automatic refills so I don't want to bother my pharmacist when I go to pick it up or I'd have her switch back to Synthroid for a few months to see if it helps.

Even on medication, I still personally feel like it negatively affects my ability to lose weight.. More so, my ability to keep it off. I feel like I'm never going to get out of the 120's (which may not seem so bad, but I'm small framed and my norm is 107-110). I am also still cold all of the time and sluggish, which you would think would be resolved by correcting the thyroid levels.

But as an added note: I did run out of my medicine for about 3 weeks toward the end of the summer, and I have never felt so out of it and unable to focus in my entire life.. A week after being back on it I was fine again. I had been on it for so long I never really could remember what it felt like in the first place pre-medication. Now I'll never let my refills run out again!
  • Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the feedback!

I'm on 50mcg as well. Originally, I was only on 25 for about 8 weeks, and I couldn't feel any change. But now after doubling my dosage, I feel like a completely different person.

It's crazy though... They think I must have JUST developed it at the beginning of the summer, because other than being sluggish for no real reason, I didn't have any other symptoms. I just happened to get a blood test before I came back to school, literally 2 days before I had to move back to Tallahassee, and found out I had it. I've always been about 145lbs, and now I'm up to 155lbs. In just four months. And honestly, I really don't eat that terribly. I mean, I'll give in and have a dessert once in a while, don't get me wrong. But I don't know.... I barely eat any carbs that come from starches and grains, unless I'm going to be doing some major road biking that day or the next. I pretty much live off of veggies, fruits, and chicken or beef. And all of the meat I get is lean and as close to fat free as I can possibly get... Also, I don't add sauces or anything that calories could be "hidden" in. I'm a really clean eater.

AND I'm on the cycling team for FSU, meaning I can burn 1,000 calories on some of the days I ride. And when I don't bike, I go to the gym for a spin class, or I run. It's not like I'm sitting around expecting the pounds to fall off.

I really don't know what the deal is... It's just so incredibly frustrating to see some people lose 10 pounds in a month just because they stop eating like... cheese or something, and then I'm working my butt off and I get nothing....

At least this is normal, I guess?
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    I really don't know what the deal is... It's just so incredibly frustrating to see some people lose 10 pounds in a month just because they stop eating like... cheese or something, and then I'm working my butt off and I get nothing....

At least this is normal, I guess?

Doesn't that drive you nuts?!

Normal? I guess. Ideal? Definitely not. I should get a masters in research just so I can try to develop a synthetic thyroid hormone that works 100% for everyone. -- WIshful thinking, I'm afraid.
  • I have hypothyroidism for nearly 20 years now. Yes, there are many of us out there, and you most certainly will find several here that can identify with you. Would you like to become friends so that we can exchange info from time to time? Nice to have met you! :)
This discussion has been closed.