Need help with TDEE...

Options
I might be overthinking this, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to solve my little dilemma.

I am finishing up Les Mills Combat and will be doing Insanity again when I'm done with LMC.

I've been seeing alot about TDEE lately and thought of giving it a try. I'm hesitant because I upped my calories the last time I did Insanity (did the calculation in the book that came with the program) and it didn't do me any favors at all. And, I still can't wrap my head around eating more to lose weight.

Here is where I might be overthinking. I am 5'4, 156 lbs, 28 year old female. Ultimately, I'd like to shed a few pounds and inches. Unfortunately, I have alot of excess skin/fat deposits from losing alot of weight. It really is excess skin - I'm not just making excuses. These are areas that have NOT changed during my entire process. They are areas that I would have to have surgery (i.e. tummy tuck) to get rid of. Although I have the excess skin, I know there is still some weight I could afford to lose.

TDEE is calculated off of weight, age, height and activity level. I plan to set my activity level to moderate (per Scooby's TDEE calculator) and do TDEE -20%. However that calculation will be taking my excess skin into account as part of my weight. The problem is, I CAN'T lose that "weight". So I feel the calorie amount I am given will be higher than it should be. Should I put a lower weight into the calculator, say 5-10lbs less than what I weigh right now? I hope someone out there has made sense of this post and has some idea on what I should do. If you made it through this post, thanks for reading!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You only have like 8 lbs to lose? TDEE-20% is probably not enough calories for you. You should probably try TDEE-10% You can't eat at a huge deficit and expect to be successful if you're close to your goal weight. Is TDEE-20% higher than your BMR?

EDIT TO ADD: That skin as it exists right now still requires water and blood to live. When calculating your BMR and TDEE you should most definitely take it into account.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You only have like 8 lbs to lose? TDEE-20% is probably not enough calories for you. You should probably try TDEE-10% You can't eat at a huge deficit and expect to be successful if you're close to your goal weight. Is TDEE-20% higher than your BMR?

EDIT TO ADD: That skin as it exists right now still requires water and blood to live. When calculating your BMR and TDEE you should most definitely take it into account.

Great reply.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    A properly set TDEE - % calorie goal should be about the same as a properly set MFP + exercise calories goal.

So I'm not sure what your alternatives, doing TDEE - % OR what else? The only difference should be that you don't have to log exercise if you do the TDEE method.
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

My first goal is 150lbs. I will re-evaluate after that. According to the Scooby calculator my BMR is 1496 and my TDEE is 2319. TDEE -20% would be 1855.
  • mfoster1019
    Options
    A properly set TDEE - % calorie goal should be about the same as a properly set MFP + exercise calories goal.

Makes sense. Based on my calories now and the exercise program I am doing, they MFP + exercise and TDEE numbers) are reasonably close. However, I have not been eating back my exercise calories...just my MFP allotted calories.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Makes sense. Based on my calories now and the exercise program I am doing, they MFP + exercise and TDEE numbers) are reasonably close. However, I have not been eating back my exercise calories...just my MFP allotted calories.

As you are approaching your goal, you should be slowly increasing calories up to maintenance level.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Great reply.
    +1
  • mfoster1019
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I'll give some form of TDEE calculations a shot this time. I'm just nervous to up my calories so much :ohwell: