On losing 40 lbs in 12 weeks

Options
Thank you so much for all the great comments, I had not noticed the comments until today, you guys are great. A few pointers of how I managed to lose the pounds:

1) Slow cardio, my heart rate monitor became my best friend, I learned that I did not hate slow cardio 120 to 130 bpm as much as fast cardio, with slow cardio you read a book, magazine or listen to a book on tape on your mp3 player while you exercise, with time, you will get used to it. I do cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning for 20-40 min every single day of the week (7 days a week). In top of that I hit the weights for 30-45 min, four times per week. On the cardio, mix it up, I do the elliptical, the treadmil running or walking with an incline, the bike, if you are getting bored after 15-20 min in one machine jump to another one and finish up the last 15 min.

2) my food brakedown, 20% fat, 40% carbs and 40% protein, I always eat 6-7 small meals per day plus one protein shake or bar right after I finish working out with weights. Sample day: 1)instant oatmeal with skimmed milk and banana (after my cardio); 2) low fat yogurt and one table spoon of extra crunchy peanut butter; 3) protein shake or protein bar (Supreme Protein is my favorite, it tastes just like a candy bar) this is right after my lunch workout and while I walk to get my lunch; 4) Chicken stir fry (150g) with onions and peppers, a hamburguer patty, lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes with italian dressing and a fist or rice or baked potatoes, also, a handful of peanuts or walnuts ; 5) Protein bar or yogurt with 10 grapes; 6) chicken breast with brocoli or sweet potatoes; 7) bowl of special k cereal with skim milk and pieces of peach.

3) I found a lot of inspiration on a video series called "the 12 week transformation" you can download those at www.bodybuilding.com go to search and write "12 week transformation", these videos are free and they were a tremendous inspiration for me, it will also give you a good weight work out for you to do, specially if you are just starting out.

4) I am in Iraq, our dinning facility is pretty amazing, you can eat as much as you want, they have all you can eat baskin robbins ice cream (can you believe that) I am telling you this because temptations will always be there, I know that I cannot fight my baskin robbins temptations so I only go to the eating facility for lunch, I take two plates to go (one for lunch and one for dinner) and leave. You need to identify you weakenesses and do your best to not put yourself in a dangerous situation, ja,ja remember, you must PLAN all your meals in advance if you want to be succesful, you are going to get hungry, the question is whether you will have access to the right food or the snickers bars at the vending machine when hunger comes, I cannot say this enough, plan ahead
Once a week I go to the dinning facility and eat a nice bowl of pralines and cream with cherry pie filling, that means that for lunch that day, I will have a salad with turkey ham, but at least I get to eat my ice cream, a few week ago I ate terribly for a couple of days, things like this will happen, it will not matter as long as you stop beating yourself about it and move on, you start the next day eating well again and don't look back.

Replies

• jual76
    jual76 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the great comments, I had not noticed the comments until today, you guys are great. A few pointers of how I managed to lose the pounds:

1) Slow cardio, my heart rate monitor became my best friend, I learned that I did not hate slow cardio 120 to 130 bpm as much as fast cardio, with slow cardio you read a book, magazine or listen to a book on tape on your mp3 player while you exercise, with time, you will get used to it. I do cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning for 20-40 min every single day of the week (7 days a week). In top of that I hit the weights for 30-45 min, four times per week. On the cardio, mix it up, I do the elliptical, the treadmil running or walking with an incline, the bike, if you are getting bored after 15-20 min in one machine jump to another one and finish up the last 15 min.

2) my food brakedown, 20% fat, 40% carbs and 40% protein, I always eat 6-7 small meals per day plus one protein shake or bar right after I finish working out with weights. Sample day: 1)instant oatmeal with skimmed milk and banana (after my cardio); 2) low fat yogurt and one table spoon of extra crunchy peanut butter; 3) protein shake or protein bar (Supreme Protein is my favorite, it tastes just like a candy bar) this is right after my lunch workout and while I walk to get my lunch; 4) Chicken stir fry (150g) with onions and peppers, a hamburguer patty, lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes with italian dressing and a fist or rice or baked potatoes, also, a handful of peanuts or walnuts ; 5) Protein bar or yogurt with 10 grapes; 6) chicken breast with brocoli or sweet potatoes; 7) bowl of special k cereal with skim milk and pieces of peach.

3) I found a lot of inspiration on a video series called "the 12 week transformation" you can download those at www.bodybuilding.com go to search and write "12 week transformation", these videos are free and they were a tremendous inspiration for me, it will also give you a good weight work out for you to do, specially if you are just starting out.

4) I am in Iraq, our dinning facility is pretty amazing, you can eat as much as you want, they have all you can eat baskin robbins ice cream (can you believe that) I am telling you this because temptations will always be there, I know that I cannot fight my baskin robbins temptations so I only go to the eating facility for lunch, I take two plates to go (one for lunch and one for dinner) and leave. You need to identify you weakenesses and do your best to not put yourself in a dangerous situation, ja,ja remember, you must PLAN all your meals in advance if you want to be succesful, you are going to get hungry, the question is whether you will have access to the right food or the snickers bars at the vending machine when hunger comes, I cannot say this enough, plan ahead
    Once a week I go to the dinning facility and eat a nice bowl of pralines and cream with cherry pie filling, that means that for lunch that day, I will have a salad with turkey ham, but at least I get to eat my ice cream, a few week ago I ate terribly for a couple of days, things like this will happen, it will not matter as long as you stop beating yourself about it and move on, you start the next day eating well again and don't look back.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! And thanks for letting us know how you did it. Very inspirational!
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Yea I know that ice cream is hard to turn down, and most times its right by the doors as you come in so its hard to miss. It is a little different then the B&R ice cream were used to in the US, I'd say its richer, but yea the pralines and cream is dam good! Goodluck!:drinker:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Holy cow!
    You look great!!!!!!
    Great job..keep up the good work...
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work!!!
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    Thanks for the pointers! You look awesome!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Jual --

Was just rereading your post and I'm curious about the slow cardio. I have been working consistently to keep my HR up in the 70-80% of max HR range. Why did you choose to keep it slow? I'm wondering why that was so effective for you...
  • frankp
    frankp Posts: 83
    Options
    I wouldn't have thought that was possible. And it looks like you gained muscle too.

Awesome job.
  • BigCityKittyz
    BigCityKittyz Posts: 378
    Options
    AWESOME JOB!

Thanks so much for all the useful information! I'm definitely gonna go check out the website and the "planning your meals" sounds like what I've been missing! I've been caught hungry and out of protein bars....or healthy snacks.....and I can find myself LEAPING off the wagon! and then of course the whole guilt trip starts.....I'm so tired of the vicious cycle! Of course the fact that everyone in my family loves what I'm eating and so I'll be totally surprised when I've "mysteriously" ran out of something doesn't help. I think I'll have to designate a certain part of the fridge as mine and it's "HANDS OFF!" people!

It's soooo exciting to see "real" people make progress! I'm stoked for you and INSPIRED!

Also a :heart: BIG HUG & LOVE:heart: for serving our country! Thank you for the sacrifice YOU and your family endure....... to ensure our American Freedoms and hope for others! God Bless you and our Troops!
  • jual76
    Options
    There seems to be quite a bit of debate over this topic, slow cardio vs. 70-80% cardio, I must be honest, I was very skeptical at first, it seemed silly to me to think that slow cardio could be more effective on burning fat that fast cardio, to my surprise (at least in my experience) it is. Apparently, when you do fast cardio you are burning carbs and proteins (and sometimes your own muscle tissue), slow cardio burns only fat (that's why when you look at those little pictures on the treandmill, optimal fat burning is on the 50-60% range.

There's is a catch however, slow cardio on an empty stomach is the best fat burner there is but it is not as good as fast cardio when it comes to developing your cardiovascular conditioning. I do 2 sessions of 20 minute sprints per week (in top of my slow cardio) this allows me to maintain my conditioning (so that I can pass my Army PT test twice per year)

Also, slow cardio is a lot easier on your body, if you are doing a lot cardio on a treadmill I strongly suggest that you look into learning the Pose method of running, www.posetech.com
    the greatest $16 investment I have ever made, it will save your knees and ankles.

The last thing I want to say, I drink like 3 gallons of water per day
  • mslreed
    mslreed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips you look great. I have a question would you consider walking 3.5 mph or bike riding fast or slow cardio? Just curious to know. Keep up the good work!!
  • Amanda4825
    Amanda4825 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    :smile: i so wish i could do that!! congrats on that, you really changed quick and look great. And be safe in Iraq my brother is over there too. he raves about their cinnabon lol. he is skinny as can be so he can afford to eat it all the time.:grumble:
  • jual76
    Options
    3.5 mph on bike riding is probably "very" slow cardio, but it depends on your age and current cardiovascular conditioning, if you are 30-39 years old, slow cardio is probably in the range of 118-130 beats per minute, I don't use the bike because I find it very difficult to raise my heart rate above 110, optimum slow cardio for me is 123 bpm. A heart rate monitor is very affordable (around $40) I think it is a very good investment.
  • joydex
    joydex Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    WOW! that is really amazing, congratulations and i hope someday i can say the same thing. I am just struggling with my weight and nothing seems to be coming off no matter what. I guess i am working out too hard cause i do fast cardio on the treadmill running and walking. Weight loss can be so frustrating at times but when i read what others have posted i keep telling myself that i must continue and dont give up no matter what.
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    OK Jual...the slow cardio is tripping me up. I have been reading a lot about this lately but I am somewhat in denial. I am a runner...I run 5-6 times a week and usually run 4-5 miles each time. I have been doing this for well over a year now. At rest my heart rate is pretty low...right around 57 so when doing (a multitude) of suggested heart formulas to determine my ideal rates, I have found that my "ideal fat zone" is around 130 - 144. For me, this is almost a walking pace. I can't stand it!! When I run, my beats usually go to around 158-160 which or about 85 -90% of my MHR. How are you supposed to increase your pace for races and things if you are to stay in the lower zone?! I want to burn fat but also gain speed. What do you suggest? I am really tempted to go see an exercise physiologist to run a VO2 on me to determine my accurate numbers. It's just so frustrating when I am on the treadmill to try and stay in the lower range!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    i think its safe to say you inspired us all!!! Thank you for sharing a detailed story!!! GREAT JOB!!!!
  • jual76
    Options
    Buckeyebabe, did you go to Ohio State? I am also a buckeye (OSU Moritz Law 04') absolutely love my buckeyes!!! Thank you americanwolfdreamer!!! Keep it up joydex, remember, cook your meal ahead of time, plan ahead and you will be okay, do not give up, get yourself a subscription to a health and fitness magazine, read a couple of articles per week, it is all part of staying motivated, don't worry so much about the scale, if you have a bad meal, do not make the mistake of assuming that you may as well continue to eat badly on that day, leave that bad meal behind and start the clock again, as many times as you have to, the key is not giving up.

On the slow cardio issue: If you are motivated enough to run 5-6 times per week (4-5 miles per session) and have a resting rate of 57 bpm my guess is that you will continue to lose weight and you may not even need to worry about the slow cardio vs. fast cardio issue, unless, you body is taking a toll and you are starting to feel it. Obviously, everyone's body is different, if I tried to run 5-6 times per week (4-5 miles) my knees and ankles would not be able to take it (I am 214 lbs and that is probably too heavy to run 5-6 times per week) a weekly training plan that includes 4 (30-40 min) sessions of slow cardio and 2 Hiit (Hight Intensity Interval Training) training sessions is easier on my body and consistent with my long term goals. If you are training to be a marathon runner then you are probably doing the right type of training. Check out the HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) Method
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw40.htm

I understand what you are saying about getting bored with slow cardio, I must admit that with me, I look forward to slow cardio session (I can listen to some music or even an audio book). Fast cardio sessions are a bit (or a lot) more painful and I find it difficult to focus on anything else (I am unable to multi-task) as a result it is hard for me to "look forward one of these." In your case, you seem to enjoy it so you wont have the same ploblem. In the long run, we will only stick with something if we manage to find some pleasure in it.
  • jual76
    Options
    :happy:
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    great job!!!!! keep up the good work!!!! :smile:
  • dsvflath
    Options
    I've been feeling frustrated too but I try to tell myself that even if I'm not loosing weight right now the exercise is still making me healthier (I hope!). I'm not giving up on myself and I hope you continue to feel determined....good luck!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!