Losing weight with no excercise????

Options
I'm eating just under or equal to my allocated calories for my activity level (Sedentary).

Should I be working out as well?? Its only my first month since starting and so far this is how things have gone:

After the first week I lost 1.5kg (3.3lbs)
After week 2 I lost 1.6kg (3.5lbs)
After week 3 I lost 0.9kg (2lbs)
After week 4 I GAINED 0.4kgs (1lb)!!!

I'm hoping next week's weigh in will be different as I was feeling pretty stink about gaining last week, but wondering if I should be working out. I don't want to put on muscle mass yet as I have so much fat to lose and was thinking of switching to the gym when i've lost another 10-15kg's. I have been walking though. Sometimes once a week sometimes 3 times for around 40mins. Just a leisurely pace.

But i'm no expert so just wanting some advice. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• driscollmc
    Options
    you won't start building real muscle until your body gets rid of most of the excess fat, so i would definitely suggest going to the gym. being skinny won't mean anything unless you're healthy too, which is what going to the gym and working out is all about. but congrats on that weight loss anyway!
  • Kourtney88
    Kourtney88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Actually muscle needs more energy to live. The more muscle you gain, the more energy needed to feed it. Although your weight numbers might not change as much, you'll be burning more fat daily. This doesn't mean you should try to start bench pressing 100 pounds. I'm just trying to alleviate your worry that you'll gain muscle instead of burning fat. You'll be gaining muscle while losing fat. Walking is a great start!

I hope this helps :)
    -Kourtney
  • Kourtney88
    Kourtney88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    <Sorry didn't mean to post twice>
  • datagram40
    datagram40 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Working out will help. It will boost your metabolism. Make sure you work out before you eat (aka. just before dinner).

From what I understand, everyone hits a threshold where it is harder to lose weight. I can lose wait by controlling my calories and not working out. I'm working out so I can hopefully keep those pounds off, get/stay in shape, and when I get to that threshold I will be able to pass it.

Oh yeah, exercising actually makes you feel good too. Something about endorphins, etc... I find that even if I'm tired and think I do not have enough energy, I gain a sudden spike of energy after 20 minutes of the elliptical.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    From what I understand it's normal to hit plateaus where you can have an off week. I wouldn't let it get you down.

As far as exercise goes, you don't need to exercise to lose weight, but exercise has many other health benefits associated with it. You will experienced increased cardiovascular health and higher energy levels, better mood, etc. If you do a cardiovascular workout, and not a strength workout, you shouldn't have to worry about adding additional muscle weight.

If you do start an exercise program, MFP recommends that you eat back all of the calories you burn during exercise. Your allotted calorie count is a "net calorie count" so if you do exercise, you may have to raise your calorie intake. Eating too few calories could cause you to stop losing weight.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Doing some exercise will not only help you lose weight - it will make your heart healthy too. So yes - do something. I started with just 10 mins a day. I am now working out an hour or a little more - and walking dogs an hour a day too!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You will NOT build muscle mass on a caloric deficit. You will get stronger, especially when you first start, but even that will slow as you continue to eat under maintenance. You WILL, however, lose what muscle you have if you continue to diet while not challenging your muscles by doing both cardiovascular and resistance training.

YES YES YES, you should work out. Lift weights, jog, walk, march in place, have a pillow fight with an angry llama (watch for the spitting), challenge the devil to a harmonica playing marathon. You could even do an elliptical, but I hate those things. Hell, it's better than nothing.
  • sarahann87
    sarahann87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Exactly what Kourtney said. If you are getting more lean muscle, your body will be burning more fat and thereby helping out your metabolism a bunch. Maybe try putting in some cardio like walking, running, bicycling, etc. and make sure to put in some strength training a couple times a week to start off. To build lean muscle so you wont look like a body builder and wear yourself out, try doing a lower weight but more reps. For me, i usually do 3 sets of 15 reps per machine and do machines that work out both sides of the limb or body part (ex. bicep curls and rowing vs. lifts and arm extensions that work out the underside of the arm). If you don't have access to a gym or anything, you can always do strength training at home too by making weights out of household items (you can find examples online) and try crunches and sit-ups. Don't worry, you won't be adding an extreme amount of muscle by doing this, and your body will be eating up more fat by building some lean muscle mass. Good luck!!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Exercise has some helpful and a few less helpful benefits to losing weight. Exercise helps slim and tone, increases your metabolism but it is heavier than fat so there is a small time when increasing exercise and building muscle it may not show on the scale. That is its main less helpful aspect. I think the rest are helpful. It will show in inches lost instead. I think yes we want to lose weight but also inches. I need exercise to help me balance my calorie intake relative to what is happening in my life. It I go out and celebrate with family one day I can increase my exercise to burn the calories. That way I am not dieting I am just eating and living healthier. Exercise is not going to make you bigger or make your weight more permanent. In fact it will help you. For me the point is to get healthier so exercise is key. I had a hard time losing without exercise and I had a hard time losing without watching calorie intake relative to exercise. Yes I have periods where I get less exercise but to me they are 2 sides of an equation that works for me.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options

have a pillow fight with an angry llama (watch for the spitting), challenge the devil to a harmonica playing marathon. You could even do an elliptical, but I hate those things. Hell, it's better than nothing.

I HATE those damn spitting llamas!! :bigsmile:
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Walking is exercise. To me anyway. That's what I do. Was doing everyday but back flared up and had to take hiatus, just started back up. I still lost 6lbs while I was not walking. It did not slow down my weight loss results.

Resistence training is good for toning and cardio good for heart and lungs. Exercise is important part of good health.

My job is physical so I do not do any upper body stuff, I actually have muscle under my flubber in my arms. But I walk for lower body. Stairs and walking up hills too.
  • jat80
    jat80 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and advice everyone. Just gotta find me a llama.....Hmmmm