Faux foods

Options
Please share low/no carb, or low kcal substitutes
Here's one I use: Knox gelatine as a substitute for sauces (just needs some heat to melt and seasoning)...it's all protein too!

Replies

• Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Use Xanthum Gum as a thickener instead of oil for salad dressings or thickener in gravy/sauces instead of flour or corn starch.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    Oh yeah, I've used xanthan gum and guar gum in the past too...xanthan>guar
    Bump
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Ball Low or No-Sugar Fruit Pectin. 0 calories. This stuff is amazing. I made a jar of blueberry jam by boiling some water, this stuff, and a handful if blue berries. Only took a few mins and I stuck it in the fridge. . I'm sure you could find some more uses for it. It souls do the same thing to any liquid.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ugghhh, I'm so sad that we don't have any faux food products in my country :( And the only "American Store" in the area just closed!!

I tried to buy some stuff off amazon, but the shipping price was higher than the products, which were already very expensive!

Do any of you know of some European faux foods, or maybe a european seller of those faux foods? I've been looking at the fat free, sugar free chocolate cake and pudding mixes for example.
  • IVMarkIV
    Options
    Ugghhh, I'm so sad that we don't have any faux food products in my country :( And the only "American Store" in the area just closed!!

I tried to buy some stuff off amazon, but the shipping price was higher than the products, which were already very expensive!

Do any of you know of some European faux foods, or maybe a european seller of those faux foods? I've been looking at the fat free, sugar free chocolate cake and pudding mixes for example.
    100% Cacao or unsweetened baker's chocolate is pretty good and common...a bit on the bitter side for some, the intense bitterness is like drinking black coffee. It does have fat, but is close to having zero net carbs. Alternatively, I would try chocolate flavored whey protein as a mix...might work for pudding as a final ingredient without baking.

Whey protein in itself can be mixed into pudding like concoctions called "sludge". I had to live off of this stuff for months while traveling and living in hotels! Xanthan gum and very conservative amounts of water will give a nice thick consistency then just get creative with additional ingredients...cinnamon was my favorite but most add things like frozen berries, peanut butter, bananas, etc. Don't forget to add some salt though
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    I thought gelatin can't be used as protein for the muscles, like collagen?

But I have it too, used it to make marshmallows :)
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I use hot sauce and salsa to spice things up when I'm running out of calories. I know they're not "faux" but they seem to do the trick:)
  • 82jeh
    82jeh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    http://www.lindasdietdelites.com/low-carb-or-sugar-free-34/low-carb-breads-35/low-carb-bread-124/

low carb bread, its pretty tasty, especially if you toast it! I've tried the healthwise bakery brand bread with sugar free log cabin syrup and almond butter/regular butter. it's really good. I'm going to try sugar free honey next :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    http://www.lindasdietdelites.com/low-carb-or-sugar-free-34/low-carb-breads-35/low-carb-bread-124/

low carb bread, its pretty tasty, especially if you toast it! I've tried the healthwise bakery brand bread with sugar free log cabin syrup and almond butter/regular butter. it's really good. I'm going to try sugar free honey next :)

What is sugar free honey lol. The bees poop instead of their vomit?
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Whey protein in itself can be mixed into pudding like concoctions called "sludge". I had to live off of this stuff for months while traveling and living in hotels! Xanthan gum and very conservative amounts of water will give a nice thick consistency then just get creative with additional ingredients...cinnamon was my favorite but most add things like frozen berries, peanut butter, bananas, etc. Don't forget to add some salt though

I am intrigued - why do you need to add salt?

I did not know that the body can't use the protein in gelatine. Could you point me to a reference for that, I would like to know more.

I use xanthan gum a lot as a thickener, works great.
  • IVMarkIV
    Options
    Gelatin in itself isn't a great source of the full amino acid spectrum since it's mostly "kinky" amino acids (I.e. Proline)
    I'll commonly throw gelatine melted in something like tuna fish or any other notoriously dry meat (turkey!)

Salt helps with satiety and is commonly left out of protein powders (assuming you do any kind of exercise, you need to replace electrolytes)...interestingly salt tastes good with chocolate too

Lol...sugar free honey. Watch out for those with the sorbitol content. I've tried sugar free syrup...never again! I've heard horror stories of sugar free Reese's as well
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Re: salt

It does bring out the flavour of chocolate, and salted caramels are sold in the 'posh chocolates' part of my local supermarket.

Interestingly, when I was working in Africa I virtually lived on toast spread with honey and sprinkled with salt as a snack. Somehow it was just what my body was craving at the time.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    do styrofoam packing peanuts sprinkled with mrs dash count?
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options

100% Cacao or unsweetened baker's chocolate is pretty good and common...a bit on the bitter side for some, the intense bitterness is like drinking black coffee. It does have fat, but is close to having zero net carbs. Alternatively, I would try chocolate flavored whey protein as a mix...might work for pudding as a final ingredient without baking.

Ohhh, didn't see your answer until now, thank you so much, I'll try out all these :D
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I tried PB2 (dehydrated powdered peanut butter) for the first time today and really liked it!! Tastes very peanutty (I had it in a shake and on its own, just blended with water) and has way less fat than peanut butter. If you're into shakes/smoothies, PB2 would definitely be a great alternative. Personally, I would probably also like it as a straight substitute for real PB on bread, but I'm quite tolerant when it comes to food ;)
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else read this thread as an appetite suppressant? Worked for me! :wink:
  • IVMarkIV
    Options
    Ball Low or No-Sugar Fruit Pectin. 0 calories. This stuff is amazing. I made a jar of blueberry jam by boiling some water, this stuff, and a handful if blue berries. Only took a few mins and I stuck it in the fridge. . I'm sure you could find some more uses for it. It souls do the same thing to any liquid.
    I checked out this sugar free pectin you speak of at whole foods but it's like $5 for one little packet vs a $1.50 gelatine about the same size. Do you know by any chance how this compares to gelatin, volume wise for making a sauce?

Kind of off-topic, but yes some faux foods can be nauseating on the stomach and have lots of water weight volume to help suppress appetite or at least serve as ridiculously low kcal alternative. They have very little caloric density as a giant head of cabbage would
  • Shiratake noodles are zero calorie Japanese noodles made of yam fiber. You can find them at any good farmers market in the refrigerated Asian section in liquid filled clear bags. Just open the bag, rinse the noodle, pat dry, add to any soup, sauce, or stirfry for that faux satisfaction without the guilt.

Just a little tip: these noodles are chewy like mushrooms. I like the texture best in soups.
  • madonetwo
    madonetwo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like PB2, too. I had it on quaker chocolate poppers today....quite a nice treat!
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I checked out this sugar free pectin you speak of at whole foods but it's like $5 for one little packet vs a $1.50 gelatine about the same size. Do you know by any chance how this compares to gelatin, volume wise for making a sauce?

Kind of off-topic, but yes some faux foods can be nauseating on the stomach and have lots of water weight volume to help suppress appetite or at least serve as ridiculously low kcal alternative. They have very little caloric density as a giant head of cabbage would

The cans I bought were 1.00 for a whole can. They were on clearance and I bought them on a whim. Sucks they are usually so expensive. I used maybe a teaspoon for 6 oz of jam. Doesn't like like a great deal budget wise, but the texture is different from gellatib. I wouldn't pay that much for it tho. 5.00 for a packet is insane!