Got a Major Headache after drinking EAS Vanilla Protein Powd

Options
Ok so after debating about whether or not to use Whey Protein powder I decided to give it a try, A few minutes
after drinking the EAS Vanilla Whey Protein powder mixed with fruit in a blender I got a Major Headache and the
Headache didn't go away until this morning. Is this normal? I don't want to use something if it is going to cause
me to have Headaches!!

I wanted to buy the Jillian Michaels Whey Protein powder but walamrt was sold out and Kroger does not carry it
so I had heard about EAS and bought it instead. I just don't know why it would cause me to have a Hadache like
this, and it was not a light Headache,it was bad!!

Also, what is the difference between Isolate and Concentrate? I was told to get the Isolate, were do you find that
info ?

Thanks for the help...

Replies

• redrustdobe
    redrustdobe Posts: 43
    Options
    I've been drinking EAS Whey Protein for several months. No problems.
    Sorry to hear about your headache. :sick:
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I have never used EAS, but I use NowFoods Soy Protein Isolate (unflavored) I got it at my local health food store. They also have single serving packets and sell protein powders in bulk (just a bag of however much you want). If you can find a place that sells small quantities like that I tell people that they should try those first so that they don't end up buying large containers of something that they don't like.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I had 1 Scoop as it calls for, so maybe I am getting enough in the foods i eat and don't really need the powder?
    So yesterday including the Whey Protein powder I had a total of 83g so I was actually over by 14 g and according
    to MFP I am suppose to have 69 g.

So having too much protein is bad? So much confusion with this stuff.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Is it made with sucralose, aka splenda for the sweetener??????????
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Grokette ,

I just checked and yes it is, what does that mean?? I may take it back and try to get the Jillian Michaels brand someplace
    other then walmart since they are out. I don't want to spend a ton of money on it.

My protein today is already at 29g andi only have 23g left for today according to MFP.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    EAS stuff is usually pretty good in quality from what I have experienced. As for the headaches I could not tell you but having a little too much protein should not cause a massive headache like that. Are you using ice in the shakes and then pounding it down while you are coming down off an intense workout? I find I get headaches from doing just that but never for that period of time.

I would recommend taking that back and getting the one you wanted initially to see how that works.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Yeah I really wanted to try the Jillian Michaels brand but Walmart is totally out of the Vanilla even at the wharehouse
    so it must be good. Kroger doesn't sell it, maybe I will try Walgreens. The health foodstore were I live doesn't carry that brand either. I wouldn't think having too much protein would cause this issue.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Grokette ,

I just checked and yes it is, what does that mean?? I may take it back and try to get the Jillian Michaels brand someplace
    other then walmart since they are out. I don't want to spend a ton of money on it.

My protein today is already at 29g andi only have 23g left for today according to MFP.

Do a google search on side effects of sucralose..............Headaches is one of them. It triggers bad, bad migraines for me, I stopped using it about 2 years ago and have never went back.

I don't use artificial sweeteners any longer due to the headaches.......

Read some of these entries by people that have gotten sick from sucralose (splenda)

http://splendasickness.blogspot.com/2006/03/headache.html
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I use EAS as well and never had any problems, but I'm sure everyone is different.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    I did read up online about it and found that it does cause Headaches, I use Stevia or Truvia instead of real sugar
    and it doesn't bother me at all. I took that Whey protein back to the store and got my money back. I will wait
    until Walmart gets the Jillian Michaels protein in stock again and read its ingredients before buying any protein
    powder again. While at kroger I did see some by a guy named Jay, anyone us it before? Very pricey, like $20.99
    I think and I read the label and it said no Aspartame or Splenda or Sucralose. It came in Whey or made with Egg.

If anyone can recommend some other brands that are not really exspensive and don't contain any of these ingredients
    I here in my post then please let me know.

Thanks
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I get ON brand via Amazon and in price it is comparable. I also think it tastes better than most but everyone is different.
  • ebarb74
    ebarb74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know this post is old, but I have recently started EAS vanilla protein powder and I get an annoying headache after drinking it. It isn't a pounding migraine or anything, but it is very annoying and irritating. It makes my eyes sensitive to light also. Did you ever find out why it caused you headaches? I just bought a huge container of it. I am thinking the Sucralose in it, but the Splenda website says it doesn't cause headaches (probably a biased answer though). I think it is the sweetener in it. But I am not sure.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    I know this post is old, but I have recently started EAS vanilla protein powder and I get an annoying headache after drinking it. It isn't a pounding migraine or anything, but it is very annoying and irritating. It makes my eyes sensitive to light also. Did you ever find out why it caused you headaches? I just bought a huge container of it. I am thinking the Sucralose in it, but the Splenda website says it doesn't cause headaches (probably a biased answer though). I think it is the sweetener in it. But I am not sure.

I think its because of one of the ingredients in it, maybe the sucralose and/or splenda. I only use meal replacement from GNC now
    or another brand.