Constipation

Options
Hi! I know this is kind of a gross question. But I am frequently constipated. My doctor prescribed Amatiza which is a prescription to help in the bowel movement process. It has not seemed to be very helpful for me. Do you have any suggestions?

I am thinking of having an apple and coffee in the morning. I generally have coffee every day but it does not encourage a bowel movement. Thanks!

Replies

• MarKayDee
    Options
    I only poop every second sometimes even third day, my mother was the same way. There is nothing wrong or unhealthy about not going every single day, unless you have very hard dry or painful poos. In that case, are you sure you're getting enough fluids? Without sufficient hydration simple things like dedication can be a challenge.
  • Hi! Thanks for commenting and sharing. I generally drink 80 ounces of water per day PLUS other drinks like tea, soda, coffee, etc.
  • unbalanced1
    unbalanced1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try doing a tablespoon of Metamucil or some other fiber daily. it should help.
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    Are you eating enough fibrous greens? Or enough carbs? I know the week I tried to go extremely low carb I didn't poo at all. Maybe talk to your doctor about what balance you need in your diet.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Eat something spicy - always works for me!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat, so called, healthier, I tend to get constipated a lot as well. Would like to know why also.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    A glass or two of prune juice or a handfull of prunes should help.
  • A glass or two of prune juice or a handfull of prunes should help.

Thank you! How much would you suggest to alot for calories? I am willing to eat however many in order to use the restroom.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Start with 6 oz of prune juice-thats 2/3 of a cup. Log what it says on the bottle.. Look in the baby section if you can't find it in the juice section.
  • Thank you, your suggestion was incredibly helpful. I will look at the store in the juice section first and then the baby section. Hopefully I can find something that will work!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Has this always been an issue, or something new since changing your diet?

We see this question around here often, and along with plenty of water and fiber, don't rule out fat - a good amount of healthy fats makes a big difference as well. Ditch the low-fat dairy, and add some avocados, nuts, coconut and olive oils, salmon, etc to your diet.

Hope you find the answer!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this at times too. I try to avoid going too low-fat or low-carb and the problem usually diminishes. I know a lot of people think diet soda is evil but I find that 2-3 cans per week actually seems to help me stay regular. Coffee each morning does help too. I think sometimes I actually OVERDO the fiber and it can have the opposite effect which is unpleasant. Sometimes apples and spinach actually constipate me.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Yep. Same problem here since starting my adventures in healthy living. I just figure less crappy food in me, less to come out. idk tho.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Walking can help with regularity. Eating more fat helps; if you've been on a low-fat diet, replace some of your starchy carbs (bread, pasta, cereal) with an equal amount of calories from butter, coconut oil, and other healthy fats. Depending on how much fiber you already eat, you might try decreasing the amount. While some people need grams and grams of fiber, others do much better with lower amounts. I found a study on that some time back, but I don't have the link at hand right now.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: this is not going to be helpful

I used to be terrible, I could easily go a week without. it never really bothered me.
    since I started at the gym, I am as regular as clockwork. I am like Sheldon Cooper, I could set my watch by it.
    if I miss a week of excising I get bunged up again but now it's uncomfortable!

told you it wasn't going to be helpful
    (bran, walnut and banana muffins are good tho)
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    you might be dehydrated... drink a few more classes of water a day and see if that helps soon. i know if i don't drink enough water one day i have those problems the following day.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    dried and pitted prunes, a couple with each meal, include some black beans or other beans that are high in fiber.
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Most people, myself included, avoid it because it is so high in sugar, but try Fibre One Honey Clusters. If i eat a serving, with half a cup of milk in it and drink water while im eating (otherwise my stomach HURTS) , well let's just say it usually takes care of things for me lol.
  • servicedograiser
    servicedograiser Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    amatiza is strong medicine...I have it for days when I accidently ingest gluten. I find it works better for me in short spells, What else have you tried? Have you looked into food allergies? apples and bananas constipates