good calorie counters

Options
hey! i need help finding something that is a legit calorie counter for when i'm doing work outs.

it would be cool if it would take my current weight into consideration...

i just need to know an accurate report on how many cals i am burning!!!!!

help, thanks ! :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No calculator or database is going to be accurate, too many variables. A HRM is the most accurate measure for a true steady state aerobic event...but even then, it's still an estimate and at minimum you'd have to knock off your basal calories. It's all an estimate...you're never going to know exactly what you burn without some extremely expensive and sophisticated equipment.

a good rule of thumb is 10 calories per minute max for an intensity level at which you could not hold a conversation...use a factor of 5 for a moderately paced, 3 - 3.5 MPH walk and something in between for anything else. It's all an estimate though, you will never know 100%.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    No calculator or database is going to be accurate, too many variables. A HRM is the most accurate measure for a true steady state aerobic event...but even then, it's still an estimate and at minimum you'd have to knock off your basal calories. It's all an estimate...you're never going to know exactly what you burn without some extremely expensive and sophisticated equipment.

a good rule of thumb is 10 calories per minute max for an intensity level at which you could not hold a conversation...use a factor of 5 for a moderately paced, 3 - 3.5 MPH walk and something in between for anything else. It's all an estimate though, you will never know 100%.
    yup. this. exactly this.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Endomondo is a decent tracker, links back into MFP and will take your weight into consideration. But as others have said, just an estimate and you actually have to turn it on. So somewhere in there you might be off, but at least its motivation.
  • airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i love my fitbit but not 100% right none are
  • CPlempel1013
    Options
    awesome, thank you!
  • rokuhn
    Options
    I didn't want to invest in a HRM if I didn't need to. I search around the Internet for different calorie counters until I get a good idea and try that. If I am meeting my weight loss or maintenance goals, I stick with that estimate. If not, I adjust accordingly. This has worked really well for me.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I go by my HRM but I don't eat back all my cals. If I earn 700 I usually eat back 300 or thereabouts. That way an accurate amount isn't that necessary.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I go by my HRM but I don't eat back all my cals. If I earn 700 I usually eat back 300 or thereabouts. That way an accurate amount isn't that necessary.

i do this too, i go by my HRM and don't eat back all my exercise cals just in case it is overestimating. i use a polar FT7 and i like it a lot. the band that you wrap around your body is comfortable and i usually forget it is even there. if you are really interested in buying a HRM you can go to this website, http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/ and compare and contrast the different things that the varying makes and models do to find what best suits your needs.
  • AnnACnd
    AnnACnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I really like Runtastic to log my workouts. Plus it links to MFP.
  • raeganjayne15
    Options
    Endomondo is a decent tracker, links back into MFP and will take your weight into consideration. But as others have said, just an estimate and you actually have to turn it on. So somewhere in there you might be off, but at least its motivation.

Endomondo over estimates my calories. It is often more than twice what my HRM says
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Endomondo over estimates my calories. It is often more than twice what my HRM says

Hmm, it's pretty accurate for me for walking but overestimates for running. It says I burn about 250 an hour walking at 3.5 mph (which seems legit) but like 650 when I run at 6 mph. Thats not TOO much more than I would expect but definitely pretty high.