18 yo. Just starting out, need support and buddies!

Options
I suppose I'll start with an introduction of myself. I'm 18 years old and am currently a freshman in college. Since I was little I've struggled with my weight. Though never obese, I've always been overweight. From 3years old through 8th grade, I danced, which helped me maintain for the most part. However, after quitting, I steadily went up. Reaching 170 about 3 and a half years ago. After speaking with my doctor, I decided to lose weight for an upcoming vacation, and lost 15 pounds to 155 as an entering high school freshman. However, I fell off track and gained it back. Fast forward 4 years and I'm now hovering around 175-177, which is not where I'd like to be. My weight is balanced throughout my body, not localized anywhere. About a week ago, I started to go to the gym again, and have been working out 5 days a week with 45 mins of cardio, burning about 420+ calories each time. I try and do intervals by changing the resistance. On my two off days I still workout but only for about 20 minutes so that I don't fall our of my routine. Also, on one of those days I have an hour long stretching class offered here at the university's gym. I've cut down most of my snacking, and have been trying to eat much healthier. I'm not a soda drinker, but I do drink the sparkling ice drinks which are calorie, carb, sugar, and fat free. I'm trying to each more chicken, turkey, yogurt, salad, etc.

I would love any suggestions or tips people have for me. Also, any support would be so appreciated! Nobody in my family has been overweight like me except my dad when he was a bit younger, so it's hard to get support from those who don't understand. When should I start doing strength?

My goal right now would be to lose 10 pounds by April 1 and to lose 20 pounds by May 15. I'd like to be leaner and toned by the summer time.
Thanks!

Replies

• fitnesspal754
    Options
    Oh wow, those are great goals!
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have sent you a friend request! together I think we can encourage & support each other!
  • aless820
    aless820 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm aiming high but trying to stay reasonable
  • aless820
    Options
    Phyllis I think so too! Just looked at your ticker, that's fantastic!! Good for you! You should be so proud of what you've done, and i'm sure you're an inspiration to many, including me!
  • sg2506
    sg2506 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! Sent you a friend request. I am starting from today with a goal of losing one pound per week.
  • aless820
    Options
    @Great, thanks! Good for you!
  • caoimher93
    Options
    your goal seems pretty do-able. similar to mine best of luck :) also well done on having the motivation to go to the gym can you lend me some of that? :P
  • aless820
    Options
    your goal seems pretty do-able. similar to mine best of luck :) also well done on having the motivation to go to the gym can you lend me some of that? :P

Thanks! Good luck to you too! Just ask yourself WHY you want to lose weight!
  • maggie735337
    Options
    Hello! I am 18 and just starting out as well.

If you like dancing, I would suggest trying Zumba for cardio because it is so much fun that you don't even realize you're exercising. And I think a stretch class is a wonderful idea; I always feel so much better after stretching. :)

As for strength training, I have heard that it is a good idea to do it 2-3 times per week. It's great for burning calories [and it's so cool to be able to lift things easily that were hard to lift before. I think so anyway :) ]

I think you have set a good goal (about 2lb/week); you'll definitely reach it doing what you are doing. Good luck! :)
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! You got this, good luck!
  • brutalbrie
    Options
    I sent you a friend request! Hope you don't mind. I am new to this!
  • koleebug
    Options
    Im eighteen as well and wanting to lose around the same amount of weight! Lets help each other out :) best of luck with everything! Sounds like you are on the right track. Sending a friend request if ya don't mind:)
  • Snair4
    Snair4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! i'm 18 years old as well and have just started college. I was never really fat to begin with, I started off at 127 lbs on Jan.1. Today, I weigh a healthy 115 lbs. I try to work out atleast 5 times a week (cardio), and eat 1200 calories a day (with cheat days of course). I have completely cut out soda and fast food restaurants, but other than that, I eat whatever I want as long as it is under 1200 calories (cereal, cookies, sandwiches, you name it!). Now that I've reached my goal weight, I'm going to start upping my calories and start weight training :)
  • Areyanna_
    Areyanna_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im Areyanna and im just recently 18. I am a senior in high school. My ultimate goal is to lose weight for the military but ialso want to lose weight for prom and graduation. And to be a heathly young woman. Im short so i have to be at least 138 for the branch im going into so my goal is 135. I am currenlty 170. It would be great to have motivation from people my own age and i would be glad to help out others. PLEASE add and i will add. Thanks
  • almx00
    almx00 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 as well and i started at your current weight 172ish! Im about 150
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Your goal is quite aggressive for the amount of weight you have to lose. If you find that you're restricting calories too much, add some back, and rework your plan. Good luck !
  • aless820
    Options
    Hello! I am 18 and just starting out as well.

If you like dancing, I would suggest trying Zumba for cardio because it is so much fun that you don't even realize you're exercising. And I think a stretch class is a wonderful idea; I always feel so much better after stretching. :)

As for strength training, I have heard that it is a good idea to do it 2-3 times per week. It's great for burning calories [and it's so cool to be able to lift things easily that were hard to lift before. I think so anyway :) ]

I think you have set a good goal (about 2lb/week); you'll definitely reach it doing what you are doing. Good luck! :)
    My friend asked me to do zumba so I may take her up on it! I really need to do something other than the elliptical so I don't get bored. Stretch class was great but my first day was last week and it was a bit painful because it'd been a while! I was sore for about 3-4 days!

Thanks for the encouragement!
  • aless820
    Options
    Hello and welcome! You got this, good luck!

Thank you! And you as well! You've achieved so much!
  • aless820
    Options
    I sent you a friend request! Hope you don't mind. I am new to this!
    Of course not! Accepted :) And I'm new as well!
  • aless820
    Options
    Im eighteen as well and wanting to lose around the same amount of weight! Lets help each other out :) best of luck with everything! Sounds like you are on the right track. Sending a friend request if ya don't mind:)
    Oh great! I love finding people around the same age! And similar goals as well! Best of luck to you too! And of course not!