Crossfit Virgin

Options
When I set out on this journey to live a better and healthier life I set goals and rewards for myself. I wanted to give myself reasons to push forward. So in the beginning I told myself when I lost 50 lbs I would go and try Crossfit. As I got closer I decided I wasn't ready and told myself at 60 lbs lost I would go and try Crossfit. Well I'm 4 lbs away from that milestone and I'm TERRIFIED to even step foot into the place. My older brother is a trainer but lives across the country, so I'd be going in alone. Crossfitters just all look so fit to me and I'm over here like "Hey I can do real push ups for the first time in my life."
Any advice about getting my butt through that door would be appreciated. Or if you're in the same boat it'd be nice to know I'm not the only one who's a little scared.

Replies

• UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have also thought about doing Crossfit. Most crossfit gyms have beginner classes, so you just have to remember that you will not be starting off at the same level as all those super ripped crossfitters. Everyone has to start somewhere and all of them started at Square 1 too.

Good Luck!
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am in the same exact situation. I've been wanting to do it for a good 6 months or so - but I'm so intimidated!
    I've gone to a session with the owner and when I got there they were finishing up a class - I was thinking I should walk out like and act like I was in the wrong place. I can't do a burpee to save my life! All these super fit people and then there's me. :(
    I work with two ladies that go but they go at times I can't ... one of them told me yesterday that nobody pays attention to what each other are doing because they are so focused on themselves. I don't know - think I may have to just give myself a little pep talk. lol
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love CrossFit, but you are going to get mixed reviews in the forums.

I understand where you are coming from - I had the same thoughts before I started. You should to the CrossFit gym you are eyeing and watch a class, talk to the trainers, etc. Like anything, your experience there will depend on the people and the quality of the coaches you will be working with...

My box has a 6-week, three times a week, training course called Elements for beginners. This was great for two reasons: 1) I learned the basics and worked on form without weight and 2) I made other friends who were beginners. A year later, some of us goes to the same class every morning!

All the people at my gym are super friendly and, even if they are in good shape now, they were beginners once too. I honestly love it when new people come in - it's fun to see them get started. The more the merrier!

Also, we have people at all different levels of fitness and capabilities. We even have a lady in a wheelchair who rocks it out every day (and is representing our box at a competition WOD for the disabled - woot!). So inspiring.

CrossFit is about what you put into it. The only competition is the competition with yourself.
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit for about 6 weeks. I, too, was terrified to go in at first. One nice thing is that they have you work 1 on 1 with a trainer the first few times at the gym. (at least my box did) Also, the trainers have always been very nice when I ask questions during the workouts. I've never been made to feel embarrassed or silly. My box has women only classes (day care too) which I've enjoyed quite a bit.

Best of luck!
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    I talked with a guy who does serious cross-fit about this and what he said is that while everybody does the same exercises all the exercises can be scaled down to whatever you can do, no matter how little this is. Also everybody starts with the introduction classes (this may differ at your location, but at least go talk with them).
  • petzilla
    petzilla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I understand completely how you feeling, I was a couch to crossfitter & that was over a year & a half ago & it has been the best decision I've made not only do I feel great I surround myself with the most amazing people in my gym people I workout with but people that makes me want to be a better me.

The scariest part of crossfit is walking in the door, every move we do can be scaled to your fitness and your ability. I would suggest going in and being honest with the coaches and let them help you get where you want to be!

Good luck!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I have been crossfitting for 2.5 months. I am 38 years old, and overweight by 50 pounds. EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING can be modified. Find a place with (at least) month long beginners program. Go to that, you will like not need to join until after and you can get a taste of it. You will love it. Everyone is very encouraging and supportive. They were all beginners once too.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If something strikes your fancy, it is more than likely your cup of tea. Each journey begins with one step. Tolerance for pain and suffering is learned. Pain and suffering is where champions are made. I have met many crossfit people and I have noticed three things about them. #1 Fit #2 Can do attitude #3 High tolerance for pain. Do it !!!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    everything I've read is that it literally depends on each trainer at each location. Some suck and will not worry about important things, like safety/form. Others are wonderful and will do the opposite... and actually make sure each person there is safe.

I've been to one of the gyms before and it felt cultish. Lingo, everyone wearing the same thing. No kool-aid, though..

..but it was well organized, the trainers knew what they were doing, and appeared to be catering to each individual in terms of ability. I know folks that love it, I know folks that hate it.

For me? I'd love to get into it, but there isn't one nearby.. and it's ridiculously expensive.
  • PrettynWitty12
    PrettynWitty12 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Claudia C Marsh, I don't know you. But what I do know is you've lost 60 freakin' lbs and if you can do that on your own you can do Crossfit. Go for it girl! Get in there and tear it up. If you hate it fine at least you tried!
  • claudiacmarsh
    Options
    PrettyWitty1 You made my entire night. I would love to have you as my personal cheerleader.
  • fitdiaryx
    Options
    Hello! Congratulations on your weight loss! I started CrossFit about 3 months ago. I won't lie I was very intimidated at first! I'm not sure about the box in your area but we have a foundations class that lasts 4 weeks long. This is where you learn the technique of all the different lifts as well as the lingo and just the way the gym is run in general. CrossFit definitely pushed me outside my comfort zone, but once I took that first step I am doing things I never thought I would! It is a very supportive atmosphere, and I would definitely suggest it! Good luck, you'll do great! :)
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I went n for the assessment and got my own @$$ handed to me. I went back the second time and didn't get throughout the entire workout, I kept going and now officially drank the kool aide. It's been just over a month and I can already see changes in my physical appearance and confidence in general.

The only advice I can give for trying it is that everybody has started where you are, with their first session and everybody remembers the feeling during and after it.

Nobody there is judging, it's all about you versus you.

Crossfit is what you make of it.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I started crossfit and one month later I broke my ankle (rock climbing) the crossfit coaches told me as soon as I could walk, I could come back. They literally re did every single workout for me for 6 months until I was fully functional on my bad ankle. If I can do it with a broken ankle, you can do it at whatever weight you are.

Things to keep in mind though. (I've been crossfitting for 3 years now):

1. Not all gyms are created equally, if there are multiple gyms, try them all out before choosing one. This is where crossfit gets its bad name. Its easy to get certified to be a CF gym even if you don't totally know what you're doing. Some gyms are amazing and I've been to ones that are down right irresponsible.

2. Crossfit gets called a "cult" because there is a lot of accountability that goes on, people know you, they share your PRs and cheer you on when you are the last to finish. Some of my best friends I've made at crossfit. But its not like a normal gym.

3. EVERYTHING can be scaled. But its your responsibility to remind (or tell) your trainers what your limitations are. (this includes being afraid of doing something like a handstand).

4. Everyone starts at the bottom and works their way up. People will be more impressed by someone 50lbs overweight pushing as hard as they can to do jumping pull ups than they will by a ripped person doing an average job. No one is there to judge.

5. its pretty much the best thing ever. It will make you mentally and physically stronger as it will push you to do things you never thought you could! (for me that was a pull up)

Now go out there and get your 60lb lighter butt to the nearest gym and show them what you're made of!!