TOM Cravings?!?!?!

Options
Argh... How do you deal with TOM cravings? (obviously women only LOL)?

Just before TOM, I get such a sweet tooth and just need as much sweet stuff as i can get my hands on. Today, I even had a jam doughnut for breakfast!

I do try to not give in, but it is so hard. But during TOM I am okay, it is literaly just the few days before!! Please tell me I am not alone!

Replies

• Monty_P
    Monty_P Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My TOM atm, it's the only time I really ever want chocolate - I can't ignore it so I'm eating low-fat chocolate mousse. I know they're probably still terrible for you but it satisfies my cravings and I don't feel too guilty!!
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I go with the chocolate ( no point to resist and have my mind on it aaaall the time!!! ) and then hit the gym. Usually around TOM I eat more, but also have much more energy so I make it useful :)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have questions...

I didn't know I was pre-TOM when I ate 6 donuts and a dozen cookies over the weekend, but today.. what a surprise I got at work! I am not hungry at all today.. But I've lost weight since the weekend.

If it wasn't TOM would I have lost more weight? Could TOM be the reason for my lack of hunger today?

I am still exercising, TOM never interferes with that. I don't get it very often, so I really have no idea how it affects me. Sunday I literally slept all day and didn't' work out. I couldn't figure out why I was so tired, but I guess I know now.. But I did exercise every other day before and after Sunday.

Surprisingly, since eating the donuts and the cookies (and suffering the headache from eating them *sigh*) I weigh less today then I did last week.

Weight loss is so weird.. I don't get what happened?

Or could the rest day have more to do with it?? I don't take too many rest days. I wait until my body just says enough already! :smokin: :smokin:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I usually keep a bit of really good dark chocolate around just for these emergencies. I find the rich taste helps to satisfy. I also pop an iron supplement. I was anemic when I was younger so now I just take the supplement for about 5 days a month.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    for one: its normal to think you want something or crave something at this pms time. I get cramps, bloat, have headaches too. Now for two: its a matter of choice what you put in your mouth. If you know you get a sweet tooth then have fruit on hand or a fruity yogurt or hot cocoa.. These are just examples but you get the point. I think women use this time of month as an excuse to pig out. YOu can still have yummy things that are lower in calories and even can be good for you too. Did you know that eating a baked potatoe in pms time can help you with carb cravings? I think it helps to be aware of your body's cycle and the days and times of your cycle that way you can plan on what days will be your "challenge days" as I like to call them. Remember nothing tastes as good as being in control feels. IF you want to know other foods that are good during pms, I suggest you look it up on google search. I did and got some great ideas.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I double down on iron supplements. 20g a day.

I give myself an extra 500 calories on the first day as a sacrificial offering to the period gods (usually in the form of white wine).

Other than that, just willpower.

There are a thousand low calorie sweets to curb your chocolate/sugar cravings. Look on Pinterest. They have some great ones.

Two I use are:

Frozen Yogurt Drops
    - fill a piping bag or Ziploc bag with yogurt ( non fat) and pipe drops of yogurt onto a cookie sheet. Freeze and scrape off with a spatula. I fill a bowl of them once a week and eat them when I get munchy.

Cinnamon Honey Banana Slices
    - slice a banana and drizzle with honey, sprinkle with cinnamon. You can even fry the banana slices in a pan first.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I double down on iron supplements. 20g a day.

I give myself an extra 500 calories on the first day as a sacrificial offering to the period gods (usually in the form of white wine).

Other than that, just willpower.

There are a thousand low calorie sweets to curb your chocolate/sugar cravings. Look on Pinterest. They have some great ones.

Two I use are:

Frozen Yogurt Drops
    - fill a piping bag or Ziploc bag with yogurt ( non fat) and pipe drops of yogurt onto a cookie sheet. Freeze and scrape off with a spatula. I fill a bowl of them once a week and eat them when I get munchy.

Cinnamon Honey Banana Slices
    - slice a banana and drizzle with honey, sprinkle with cinnamon. You can even fry the banana slices in a pan first.
    Thanks for the yogurt drops idea. I will definitely be trying these
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Yeah Chocolate and anything sweet the week before (aka NOW!!!), then as soon as it officially TOM I'm not interested in food.

The week before I am exhausted, bloated, sore huge boobs that hurt when I run. The week of I'm a depressed mess and cry at everything, then as soon as it is officially TOM I'm back to my normal self.

Weird - think it is different for everyone, but certainly common themes on cravings.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I like the youghurt drops idea TA
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruit. Apples with peanut butter. Chocolate almond milk with banana protein shakes. Yogurt with fruit in it.

I will usually give myself a 100-200 extra calories if I am really hungry, but I just make sure they are nutritious calories.
  • juliacatherine1
    juliacatherine1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate!