Working out will NOT make you she-hulk!

Options
Okay ladies I'm really REALLY tired of seeing posts about "I don't want to be huge and bulky or gain a lot of muscle from working out!" sigh....
1. You can lift weights and not become a huge muscle.. Unless you are TRYING to bulk, it is not going to happen naturally.
2. If you're eating at a deficit, you're not going to bulk.. It's pretty much impossible.
3. Your muscles are not going to stand out a huge amount unless you get under a certain body fat %.
4. I know PLENTY of women personally that have lifted weights, done cardio, etc. for YEARS and they are by NO MEANS she-hulks!
5. My zumba instructor is a middle aged woman and she teaches ballet all morning, lifts lift weights, teaches multiple classes EVERY DAY and she is fit as hell.. no bulging muscles, no nasty veins.. she is quite beautiful to say the least.

Another rant.. Eat your proper calories/ protein/ fat/ carbs!!! I am not by any means perfect, but I at least try to reach my goals. Also, I can't even explain how much I get annoyed when I see post after post that are ALL the same. "I only eat till I'm full and I'm not reaching more than 1k calories..
1. I understand everyone has a different calorie need.. But Cmon people, less than 1k really? You are definitely not eating your minimums if you are eating less than 1k. A decent sized chicken breast is around 200 calories.
2. If you know you can't eat a lot in a day, try eating healthier choices. Don't fill 300 calories with chips.. or a soda. Lean meats, types of nuts, healthy fats.
3. Measure and weigh EVERYTHING. Digital scales are like 15-20$, and measuring cups are like 2$..
4. If you think you don't have enough time to weigh and measure everything MAKE TIME. Until you get the hang of it, give yourself a couple extra minutes to do it.
5. Never guess.... you might be eating more calories than you think!

Another thing, if you're not sure about something, just ask someone who has been working out for years and knows what they're talking about. I've been chatting with 3 of my very fit friends and been studying weight loss and weight lifting for a little over a month now and it all is pretty simple if you just look a little more into it. Don't be afraid to go to the gym, don't be afraid to lift weights, don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be afraid to eat! Your body is a car and you must has fuel for it to run. I'm not trying to be a huge biotch, but honestly, do a little bit of research before jumping to conclusions.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    but i'm a special bulking snowflake .. when i lift anything heavier than my clutch purse i get HUUUUUGGEE

:devil:

seriously though, there are even physical trainers who tell women this stuff as well. last year i was working out, and took a break between sets to get water. the trainer who showed me around the gym when i joined gave me a thumbs up about how much weight i had lost since he last saw me. then a few minutes later he was walking through the weight room and waited until i finished a set a heavy deadlifts (over my bodyweight tyvm) to tell me that i shouldnt be lifting that much because it would make me bulky. i was like yeah, lifting made me SO bulky that my pants size increased from a size 22 to a size 14 :laugh:

and yeah just to warn you you're probably going to get called out on implying that there is something wrong with women who do want to be bulky, have bulging muscles and visible veins... just forewarning you
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm not dissing ANYONE that wants to live that liftstyle. My point of this post was to tell woman that they CAN lift and not become she-hulk by picking up some weights. I would never make fun of someone who is living the life the way they want.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    But I wannnnnnaaaa be she hulkkkkkkk I wanna be an avengerrrrrrr
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for years.. yeah I'm a freaking hulk :|
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I call Captain America!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I call Captain America!

i call captain marvel/pulsar/spectrum
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    But I wanted to be a she-hulk!! :sad:

seriously, the OP is correct, it's *extremely* difficult for women to bulk... it takes a calorie surplus and a lot lot lot lot lot of lifting for just tiny gains.... I'm large framed and naturally muscular, i.e. I have good genetics for this and *STILL* it's so hard to bulk up....

nearly all women who think that they bulk up easily, it's that their muscles get pumped after a workout, this is where there's more blood flow to the muscles and they increase the amount of water and glycogen in them, this means someone starting a new exercise programme for the first time or who hasn't worked out in a while, they will see an increase in muscle size, but this is a one-time increase. Some women see this and freak out thinking that their muscles have actually grown and will carry on growing at the same rate.... much as some of us wish this was real muscle growth, it is just the muscles getting pumped and further size increases beyond this a) require a surplus of calories and b) require a lot of very hard work, and aren't going to happen by accident.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options

I call Captain America!

i call captain marvel/pulsar/spectrum
    I changed my mind I want to be Loki now. Everybody lovehates Loki.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Makes too much sense. I don't buy it.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I wish my muscles were pumped 24 hours a day.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Okay ladies I'm really REALLY tired of seeing posts about "I don't want to be huge and bulky or gain a lot of muscle from working out!" sigh....
    1. You can lift weights and not become a huge muscle.. Unless you are TRYING to bulk, it is not going to happen naturally.
    2. If you're eating at a deficit, you're not going to bulk.. It's pretty much impossible.
    3. Your muscles are not going to stand out a huge amount unless you get under a certain body fat %.
    4. I know PLENTY of women personally that have lifted weights, done cardio, etc. for YEARS and they are by NO MEANS she-hulks!
    5. My zumba instructor is a middle aged woman and she teaches ballet all morning, lifts lift weights, teaches multiple classes EVERY DAY and she is fit as hell.. no bulging muscles, no nasty veins.. she is quite beautiful to say the least.

Another rant.. Eat your proper calories/ protein/ fat/ carbs!!! I am not by any means perfect, but I at least try to reach my goals. Also, I can't even explain how much I get annoyed when I see post after post that are ALL the same. "I only eat till I'm full and I'm not reaching more than 1k calories..
    1. I understand everyone has a different calorie need.. But Cmon people, less than 1k really? You are definitely not eating your minimums if you are eating less than 1k. A decent sized chicken breast is around 200 calories.
    2. If you know you can't eat a lot in a day, try eating healthier choices. Don't fill 300 calories with chips.. or a soda. Lean meats, types of nuts, healthy fats.
    3. Measure and weigh EVERYTHING. Digital scales are like 15-20$, and measuring cups are like 2$..
    4. If you think you don't have enough time to weigh and measure everything MAKE TIME. Until you get the hang of it, give yourself a couple extra minutes to do it.
    5. Never guess.... you might be eating more calories than you think!

Another thing, if you're not sure about something, just ask someone who has been working out for years and knows what they're talking about. I've been chatting with 3 of my very fit friends and been studying weight loss and weight lifting for a little over a month now and it all is pretty simple if you just look a little more into it. Don't be afraid to go to the gym, don't be afraid to lift weights, don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be afraid to eat! Your body is a car and you must has fuel for it to run. I'm not trying to be a huge biotch, but honestly, do a little bit of research before jumping to conclusions.

Wth?
    You, my girl, are a freak of MFP.

Such truth from a noob.
    Congratulations!:drinker:
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, you can wish it away all you want, but lifting heavy turns girls into he-creatures. Further evidence here:

http://tinyurl.com/ldr3gsx
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm a she-hulk!

I have to walk-in sideways when walking through doors hahaha

Great Post :)
  • krispy1982
    krispy1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love this post.

I've always wondered what would happen if you walked up to a female pro bodybuilder and told her she looked that way by accident. Sounds like a good way to get punched in the face! ????
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, you can wish it away all you want, but lifting heavy turns girls into he-creatures. Further evidence here:

http://tinyurl.com/ldr3gsx

Oh thank you for the awesome laugh! Deff worth a look! :laugh:
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    crap, I was really hoping for she-hulk -- sigh, there goes all my hopes and dreams...

Nope, been lifting/doing strength training on my quest to improve myself, have yet to gain muscles that will burst through shirts...

Although I do have muscles now that put my old ones to shame... and to think I even used to do the Sha-na-na thing with those tiny things...
  • JuiceBars
    JuiceBars Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Not everyone likes the look of muscles on a women. I have gotten...."I like to be toned but I don't want to look like THAT". To each their own I guess. Strong is the new skinny so they say :)
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Nope, I am a hulk. True story
  • JuiceBars
    JuiceBars Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    *woMAN*
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Damn. I have nasty veins. Does that mean I'm doing it wrong?