Greens in smoothies?

Options
I HATE the texture of leafy greens. I can manage spinach every now and then, but I can't stand kale, chard, some types of lettuce, arugula, etc. I know I'm supposed to eat LOTS so I put a great big handful in my morning smoothie. I'm just wondering if I'm still getting all the good stuff from the greens as I would get if I just ate it in a salad?

Replies

• RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not, unless you don't finish your smoothies.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    yes
  • TammyLee7150
    Options
    If you are using whole, raw greens in your smoothies it gives you the same nutrition as eating it. The only difference would be not burning the calories from chewing. LOL
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Nah the greens get scared and all the nutrients run away when you're not looking.
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    There are actually lots of recipes out there specifically for green smoothies. They are very nutritious. Same as eating them in a salad.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Nah the greens get scared and all the nutrients run away when you're not looking.

Just as I thought.... haha...

Just curious because some Dr. Someone said the blending oxidizes it and it loses most of its nutrients. But he's probably a quack.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    nutrition should be the same, only difference is drinking it instead of chewing it
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Isn't it great? If you ever want to make green baked goods like cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day, using spinach works as a natural food coloring tool as well. Just like in a smoothie, you can't taste it! I like vegetables but enjoy sneaking extra ones in wherever I can.
  • katpud2
    katpud2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What kind of smoothies do you make that you put spinach in? Interested!
  • akomantoso
    Options
    Absolutely! The only way you would lost nutrients would be if you cooked the greens.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    yes
    ... and yes.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Fantastic strategy, IMHO when I do this it really streamline's digestion. If putting them in a blender killed any nutrition, then juicers would do the same. We all know that juicers really work. I do a couple of green "shakes" with all greens and a bannana usually twice per day.