One for the Australians: Who are Rhonda & Ketut?

Options
BernadetteChurch
BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
I'm Australian but living in England and I keep hearing references to, and getting emails about, Rhonda and Ketut. Who the hell are they?

I've asked this question on Facebook and my idiot friends there are liking the question but not bloody answering it.

Please can someone enlighten me?

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I'm not Aussie, but the google machine says this....

269ed3ca1971610ddb728acfd2fe2a0f.png
    Bali is in love with Rhonda and Ketut

The singlets have outsold the traditional bestselling singlets depicting Indonesian beer Bintang.

Off the back of the phenomenally successful AAMI "Kiss Me Ketut" TV ad and a viral social media campaign, Kuta shirt sellers and AAMI have confirmed the singlets' No.1 status.

Balinese shirt seller A.D. Tahan sells shirts at the Kuta Square marketplace and said Rhonda singlets were "very popular".

"(There are) more Rhonda T-shirts sold than Bintang. Very famous now the Rhonda, and Ketut."

So far the Ketut and Rhonda Facebook page, which was started up by someone independent from AAMI, has 115,520 likes.

The most popular singlets are "Kiss Me Ketut" and "Rhonda Is Mine".

Honeymooning couple Shelley and Nick Corbett bought his and her singlets in Kuta during the week and said it has become a running joke in Bali and back home.

"Everybody knows about it. One of Nick's friends is obsessed with it and jokes all the time," Mrs Corbett said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/bali-is-in-love-with-rhonda-and-ketut/story-e6freuy9-1226532755019

Did I mention I have no idea?
    Oh.
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    Thanks Sinisterly. I do know about Google, but sometimes it's nice to converse with real people.
  • MissCherrySwirl
    Options
    Aussie here!

Rhonda saved up for a trip to Bali from the savings she had from being a AAMI customer (AAMI is an insurance agency). Specifically Rhonda had kept her no claim bonus for being a "beautiful driver".

In Bali Rhonda meets Ketut and a romance ensues. This where "hot like a sunrise" fits into the Aussie vernacular.

Back in Australia, Rhonda heads off to her high school reunion and Ketut is a no show. Rhonda dances with the high school hunk and at the end of that particular ad, we think "Ketut is kaput".

The latest ad in the series Rhonda finds Ketut in the empty hall (after said reunion) and they rekindle their romance!

Basically it's a soap opera but set in an advertisement. You'll probably find the 'series' on youtube if you wanted to see what the hype is about :wink:

Cherry x
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    Thanks Cherry, now I get it! How long did these ads go on for?
  • MissCherrySwirl
    Options
    All up they've been going for a couple of years now! The most recent one came out in the last couple of months.

It's been as popular as that old Yellow Pages ad..... "NOT HAPPY JAN!" :tongue:
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Good ads, great humour, didn't think the very last two were any as good though

• BernadetteChurch
    Options
    I'll be checking them out when I get home tonight. No headphones at work or I wouldn't wait!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    They actually had a viewer campaign before the last ad came out, where you could vote if Rhonda should be with Trevor Toogood or Ketut - the Aussies spoke and Ketut is back on the scene!
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    Great marketing idea. I wonder if AAMI's profits are up on the back of it?