5:2 diet!

Options
Morning Guys!

I have been eating really healthy for a month or so now, and I have just increased my exercise to 6 times a week. However a friend of mine has been doing the 5:2 diet for about three months now and her figure is fantastic and shes dropped three two clothes sizes!

I definitely am going to give this diet a go and see how it works for me..

I would love some idea's of what to eat for those two days though, that will satisfy me and not go over my 500 cal budget!?

Replies

• carlalovescake
    Options
    I've just started this (onto my third week) but I never manage to get under 800 cals a day without feeling crabby. One tip would be don't waste the cals on drinks and try to use most of it on protein because that fills you up better. You will be hungry those two days though regardless :)

It does work though :) If you use the search function there are a few groups on here full of info about how to do the 5:2 or you could do a google search and it will bring up tonnes of recipes and information with it being such a common way to eat now.

Alternatively ask your friend, if you get on well, if she is having such good results and being healthy with it :)
  • luciewhitefield25
    luciewhitefield25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if it still works if I was to eat say 800 and then ensure I burn off 300 at the gym say - would that still work out that I'm doing it correctly?

My friend works night's so sleeps through the day as much as she can on fasting days and then doesn't feel her hunger!

But yeah I will look on here now!

Thanks,
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Definitely protein, if you have eggs have them boiled or poached to avoid extra cals from fat... smoked salmon is good as is skinless chicken breast roasted...

I would recommend buying the book for more inspiration and to fully understand all the benefits rather than just weight loss.

Personally I am quite happy having ZERO calories on my fast days... giving my body a complete day off... what's the worst that can happen? I'm definitely not going to die. Poor little children all over the world have to go for days without food :cry:

I work out what I would have spent on food on my two day fast and give it all to the church :smile: Win/Win!
  • hils2284
    hils2284 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey

Im onto my second week now and really enjoying it, im only eating the reccomended 500 on fast days even if im exercising. A lot of the time for lunches im eating some sort of protein usually chicken and lots of salad, for dinner esp after gym i cant really be bothered so its usually abit of toast with few poached eggs and some protein again, i find green tea is great to drink though day as well!

The book The Fast Diet is really good at exoplaining ti all to you and how to go about it, really cheap if you have a kindle or kindle app on ipad etc

Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend xx
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Although there are no rules on what you can eat (as long as you stay within your calorie budget) for me the fast days tend to be low fat and low starch days - fasting is much easier if you avoid calorie dense foods.

My staples are:
    Veg/salad, lean meats or fish.
    Be careful on fruit - pick wisely as things like berries and pineapple are low calorie for the volume you can eat but others can be very high.
    Eggs are good.

In winter I enjoy soups but in summer I tend to go towards salads - choose salad dressing carefully.
    I also tend to go for high taste foods as it helps you feel you have eaten more (chilli, lime, ginger, balsamic vinegar for example).

Eating patterns vary quite a bit too, I can skip breakfast without missing it at all and split my calories fairly evenly between lunch and dinner. Some people just have one meal.

Worth buying a recipe book as there are quite a few on the market.
    There's also two 5:2 fasting groups on MFP which are worth joining for ideas and support.

PS - you need to stick to the calorie budget and not eat back exercise calories on fast days. Would suggest taking it easy on the exercise on your first few fasts. Fasted exercise takes a little getting used to for some people.
  • 1LoveChips
    Options
    Hey

Im onto my second week now and really enjoying it, im only eating the reccomended 500 on fast days even if im exercising. A lot of the time for lunches im eating some sort of protein usually chicken and lots of salad, for dinner esp after gym i cant really be bothered so its usually abit of toast with few poached eggs and some protein again, i find green tea is great to drink though day as well!

The book The Fast Diet is really good at exoplaining ti all to you and how to go about it, really cheap if you have a kindle or kindle app on ipad etc

Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend xx

Oh yes, you can have EPIC quantities of salad and greens! Go easy on the dressing. Pickles are also EXTREMELY low in calories. Water and teas will also make you feel less hungry. I have coffee / teas / water throughout the day.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 3 weeks and lost a couple of lbs which is amazing for my healthy weight! I have a cup of tea for breakfast, normally an apple or banana for lunch or a small sandwich, and soup or a small bowl of pasta for dinner. I love the freedom of not having to worry about what to eat for the rest of the day and I can still go out for meals and such :)
  • Sag2015
    Options
    I've been thinking about doing this too!!! I'm trying to figure out what to eat for the 500 calorie days without wanting to kill someone or pass out. Here is something I was thinking for a day's meal

Breakfast:Egg
    Snack: Banana
    Lunch: 3oz Chicken
    Dinner: Salad w/ blue cheese dressing(lite)

I'm looking on Amazon for the book now. Is this the right book? http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Complete-Intermittent-Fasting-Recipes-ebook/dp/B00CP6VMYU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392891871&sr=8-2&keywords=5+2+diet
  • 1LoveChips
    Options
    Look for the one by Dr Michael Mosley

UK Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1780721676

US Link: http://amzn.com/B00AW8UK0K
  • SarahMZxx
    SarahMZxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm SO tempted to try this....hmmmm...

The one thing I'm worried about though is that I have read it is really bad for women and can mess up hormones & reduce fertility...!!!

xxx
  • Sag2015
    Options
    Look for the one by Dr Michael Mosley

UK Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1780721676

US Link: http://amzn.com/B00AW8UK0K

Thank you!
  • Sag2015
    Options
    I'm SO tempted to try this....hmmmm...

The one thing I'm worried about though is that I have read it is really bad for women and can mess up hormones & reduce fertility...!!!

xxx

Well I have nothing to worry about if that's true. I'm 49, I'm done having children and my hormones are all wacky anyway :wink:
  • celia34
    celia34 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ive just completed my first week of the 5:2 diet. I didnt find the fast days a chore really. the first fast day ( monday) I missed breakfast and had sliced ham and lots of green salad for lunch , the dressing was just a small amount of salt and a teaspoon of chilli oil which lifted the whole meal..yum. dinner i had a two egg omelette with musrooms and spring onions and a green chilli in it and again a baby leaf salad, but no chilli oil this time. the second fast day ( yesterday) i missed breakfast and had a ham salad again for lunch and then evening i had a weightwatchers cottage pie with a big side salad ( only 204 cal). lots of green tea and water.. but i have lost 4 pounds this week which i know may be just water weight but at least my waistband feels much looser so im happy. Go for it, it will make you feel loads better.
  • luciewhitefield25
    Options
    wow thanks for the great responses guys! I wasn't expecting so many...

Defiantly going to purchase this book, it sounds good! I'm a HUGE lover of salad so I should be okay, I also have been trying the Special K multigrain porridge which fills me up for ages, I'm guessing that will be good with some fruit on my fasting days!

Non-fasting days I try to stick to fruit for breakfast and snacks, salad for lunch and then a healthy dinner..

I was reading about natural yogurt, thought it might make my fruit a bit more interesting? Which is the best option Natural yogurt no fat, or Greek yogurt no fat?

Well done to everyone on your weight loss by the way!

Sorry for the 21 questions I'm new to this app but absolutely love it!
  • 1LoveChips
    Options
    Ive just completed my first week of the 5:2 diet. I didnt find the fast days a chore really. the first fast day ( monday) I missed breakfast and had sliced ham and lots of green salad for lunch , the dressing was just a small amount of salt and a teaspoon of chilli oil which lifted the whole meal..yum. dinner i had a two egg omelette with musrooms and spring onions and a green chilli in it and again a baby leaf salad, but no chilli oil this time. the second fast day ( yesterday) i missed breakfast and had a ham salad again for lunch and then evening i had a weightwatchers cottage pie with a big side salad ( only 204 cal). lots of green tea and water.. but i have lost 4 pounds this week which i know may be just water weight but at least my waistband feels much looser so im happy. Go for it, it will make you feel loads better.

Excellent meal ideas!
  • 1LoveChips
    Options
    Re yogurt: in theory the Greek version has more protein and less carbs. So depends on your nutritional requirements really, but protein helps keeping hunger at bay.

I love yogurt with my cereal instead of milk mainly because of the protein factor.

Oats + Yogurt + Berries (frozen or fresh) + Honey = Winner!

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/yogurt-smackdown-greek-vs-regular.html
  • luciewhitefield25
    Options
    Hmm that sounds good! I'll give it a go!

• carlalovescake
    Options
    I have to say go with the greek yoghurt :D Its way more filling :D

I also don't eat back exercise cals on fast days, I don't tend to on normal days either because I use TDEE rather than MFP settings now :)

2k cals a day for me is a lot without eating what I have burnt on top (unless its a special occasion or I am in dire need of chocolate lol)

As to a previous comment about fasting for women and it having a bearing on fertility and hormones... I spoke to my docter before starting the 5:2 and was told its a fantastic healthy lifestyle and it wouldn't have any negative effects for me :) Perhaps have a chat with the docter before you start if you are thinking about trying for a baby :) If you are thinking of trying for a baby, good luck and totally enjoy the practice hehe My boys are the best gifts I could have ever asked for :D
  • SarahMZxx
    SarahMZxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have to say go with the greek yoghurt :D Its way more filling :D

I also don't eat back exercise cals on fast days, I don't tend to on normal days either because I use TDEE rather than MFP settings now :)

2k cals a day for me is a lot without eating what I have burnt on top (unless its a special occasion or I am in dire need of chocolate lol)

As to a previous comment about fasting for women and it having a bearing on fertility and hormones... I spoke to my docter before starting the 5:2 and was told its a fantastic healthy lifestyle and it wouldn't have any negative effects for me :) Perhaps have a chat with the docter before you start if you are thinking about trying for a baby :) If you are thinking of trying for a baby, good luck and totally enjoy the practice hehe My boys are the best gifts I could have ever asked for :D

Aww thank you :) Noooo not trying for a baby just yet haha...but will look to in the next couple of years for sure so wanted to make sure fasting didn't have any bad effects! Thanks for your help :) xxx
  • luciewhitefield25
    Options
    Ah Ok I'll give it a go then! I've wrote my meal plans for the fasting days for the next two weeks and it doesn't sound to bad! I've heard chomping on celery & cucumber throughout the day helps too?

What's TDEE then? Xxx