Your favorite homemade workout equipment

Options
Hi all!

Instead of buying dumbbells I have two 500 ml water bottles I use. They look less suspicious on my work desk and were very light on my poor wallet.

Does anyone else have home made, improvised workout equipment that is easy and cheap to make ?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    tNvEUy2l.jpg

You can do pushups, planks, burpees, body weight squats, lunges, mountain climbers, ....Nothing better than an open space on the floor. Although, a nice hardwood floor like that is not easy or cheep to make! :wink:
  • 1808kristin
    1808kristin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    tNvEUy2l.jpg

You can do pushups, planks, burpees, body weight squats, lunges, mountain climbers, ....Nothing better than an open space on the floor. Although, a nice hardwood floor like that is not easy or cheep to make! :wink:

That is a nice floor :laugh:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Sand bags
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Bump to read everyone's suggestions later.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I exercise in my basement doing squats, jumping jacks, pushups and crunches.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    This winter, I would have to say it's my snow shovel. *laughs*
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Got a piece of wooden dowel, bout an inch thick and 1' long with a hole drilled centrally, piece of rope about a meter or so long tied through the hole with a loop on the other end. Thread loop through a weight plate and then pass the dowel through the loop to secure the plate. Hold your arms out holding the dowel with an overhand grip, plate on the floor. Twist the dowel drawing the plate up, lower and repeat. Destroys your forearms!
  • MichaelForgets
    MichaelForgets Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use an 800 page manual I have on my office desk. When no-one is around, I do all sorts of lateral raises and overhead presses with it, while the other hand is controlling the mouse/keyboard. It is rather light (at probably 10-15 lbs) but I'll do it to fatigue on one side, then switch arms, do the same there, then back to the first arm for more...

And as a seasonal workout... I've gotten to enjoy shovelling snow. Most everyone shovels with always the same arm forwards, but the challenge here is to shovel with your "wrong" arm forward, as that works muscles you probably work less often. Just remember to lift with the legs and not the back!
  • Richardson62617
    Richardson62617 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bump for the awesome advice!! Thanks for asking!!!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Got a piece of wooden dowel, bout an inch thick and 1' long with a hole drilled centrally, piece of rope about a meter or so long tied through the hole with a loop on the other end.

You need to pick a measurement system and stick with it, that's just confusing!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Nothing better than an open space on the floor.
    I'd suggest a power cage in that space is better :).

powercagesma.jpg

Not made it look pretty as I've got plenty of other things to do; may do at some point when avoiding doing other useful things!
    Total cost for me was one pack of screws - had the wood and metal lying around.
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Put on a Brand new pair of Socks, Spray pledge on the wooden floor above and
    you have a home made treadmill !

j/k
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Got a piece of wooden dowel, bout an inch thick and 1' long with a hole drilled centrally, piece of rope about a meter or so long tied through the hole with a loop on the other end.

You need to pick a measurement system and stick with it, that's just confusing!

Don't be all jelly cos I'm an ambidextrous measurement system flipping muthaf£%ka! :smokin:

30mm dowel, 300mm long and 1m of rope for the metrics or 1" dowel, 1' long and 3' of rope for them imperial folk!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nice floor, lol!

My 45 lbs adjustable dumbbells set.
  • svenena
    svenena Posts: 25 Member
    Options

My 45 lbs adjustable dumbbells set.

What did you make them from?
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My kids! One is 40lbs the other is 30lbs so I pick one up and start lifting them. They think it's hilarious and I get a little exercise from it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I like to go to a steel mill and do the Kevin Bacon "Footloose" workout. :smile:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    th?id=H.4643887426045280&pid=15.1
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My kids! One is 40lbs the other is 30lbs so I pick one up and start lifting them. They think it's hilarious and I get a little exercise from it.

Kids are awesome. I do squats while holding my 5 month old or my 8 year old on my shoulders.