Someone critique my plan

Options
My goal is to look awesome in my bikini for my honeymoon this June. Am I doing enough? Too little? Fitness junkies please critique...

4-5 days a week (30 min) I do intervals on the elliptical.
3-4x a week I do strength training (squat, bench press, some machines)
Though I do try to do squats every time I go to the gym if the squat rack Is open

I stick to either 2 eggs for breakfast or a quest protein bar.
I have a piece of fruit for midmorning snack (usually a banana)
Take lunch at noon and go to the gym (to do the cardio/squats I mentioned above)
Dinner... whatever I want, just try to stay within calorie goal

Was told on here 1200 is too low of a calorie goal.. I will explain why I wanted that goal though... because I have mostly a freakin desk job! ughh it sucks. I figured I had to eat really low calories...

Recently decided I could shoot for 1500 on the days I go to the gym to end up with a net around 1200.

I have lost 15 lbs since July.. so now I fluctuate between 124-127 and it hasn't changed in like 2 months. Getting frustrated.. please help experts who have reached their goal weight!

My goal is just to look awesome. I would say 115-118 but if I'm lifting I don't know if that's attainable.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?

you dont need to squat every day, rest is important.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?

you dont need to squat every day, rest is important.

5'5"
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Working out that much is not going to help you, really. Twice as much work won't get you where you want to be twice as fast... and with such a low calorie goal for your activity level, chances are you'll burn out way before you get anywhere near you want to be.

Throw away the scales and start focusing on measurements. Those are the numbers that matter.

Lift no more than 3x a week if you're doing the "big 3" (squat, bench, deadlifts). If you're doing a more isolated routine, you could get away with 4x, but as a beginner I'd recommend you focus on the big 3 and do a program that focuses on those.
    If you can manage it, light cardio on your off days won't hurt, maybe even HIIT, but don't attempt to do what you can't put full effort into. A lot of people don't do any cardio on their off days at all.

More importantly, eat more than 1500 calories. Even if you're tiny, for your attempted level of activity, you'll need more than that.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I personally have to do two sets on the elliptical. The first one hurts my muscles and I don't feel like my heart rate gets up very high. Then I do some strength training and walk on the treadmill a bit, then back on the elliptical. The second exercise on the elliptical is different. It is much easier to get my heart rate up and my muscles don't feel as tired.
  • allikat399
    allikat399 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss you've already had! It sounds like you might not be losing because of your muscle increase. Have you tried measuring? It's a good way to watch your body change from your workouts even if your scale isn't reflective.

For your workouts, you should alternate your target zones. One day is leg day, one day is arm day. Give your muscles a chance to rest and heal. Also, make sure your getting plenty of protein. Protein helps repair and build muscle. I know meat tends to pack a calorie punch but its worth it in the long run if you stick to lean meat in controlled portions.

http://fitsuccess.blogspot.com/2013/07/grab-go-egg-white-bites.html - this is a recipe for egg white bites. I haven't tried them yet, but I intend to make them next week! Might be good for you to snack on and help bump the protein in a rather low calorie way.
  • Thruen
    Thruen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Seems fine, just make sure you're getting enough protein every day to complement your weight training.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Do you have a rest day? That just seems like a lot of work out days to me.

and people Flip out on the 1200 calories gross, not so much on net.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Drop some of the cardio. At this point, you should be looking for recomp or basic fat loss. Also, your projected goal weight is underweight. The majority of those on this board that have been underweight, struggle with body fat issue due to loss of lean body mass. So if your overall goal is a lean body, then you really shouldn't be aiming to be underweight.

Personally, i would do 4 days of heavy lifting (if you want do upper lower splits), 2 days of HIIT but drop the additional squats. Calories should be around 1700 (macros 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats). And use a food scale for accuracy.
  • allana1111
    Options
    Yes I try to get plenty of protein! whether from making skinless chicken, or quest bars, or protein shakes! I'm just scared I'm gaining weight.

I usually rest one day a week.. but it varies what that day is. It's not always a certain day of the week.. just depends on my schedule or how I'm feeling.

I typically burn 310-320 calories on the elliptical when I do HIIT and I like to do it so much to add to my deficit for the week in case I want to have an oreo or something. lol.

And I was hoping I was gaining muscle too, but I hear that's not possible without a calorie surplus..?
  • allana1111
    Options
    Drop some of the cardio. At this point, you should be looking for recomp or basic fat loss. Also, your projected goal weight is underweight. The majority of those on this board that have been underweight, struggle with body fat issue due to loss of lean body mass. So if your overall goal is a lean body, then you really shouldn't be aiming to be underweight.

Personally, i would do 4 days of heavy lifting (if you want do upper lower splits), 2 days of HIIT but drop the additional squats. Calories should be around 1700 (macros 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats). And use a food scale for accuracy.

I would love to eat 1700 calories a day!!
  • allana1111
    Options
    Do you have a rest day? That just seems like a lot of work out days to me.

and people Flip out on the 1200 calories gross, not so much on net.

gross meaning everything I eat in the day.. not counting any exercise, right?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    5ft5 and 115 is pretty low...

i know everyone is different but i am 5ft5 and 135lbs and losing 0.5lb per week on NET 1800 cals. I do full body strength training 3x a week and insanity for cardio 2 x a week
  • charliejenny
    charliejenny Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Change your exersize routine completely....works a treat. Theres some fab rowing programmes and how about a run
  • allana1111
    Options
    I will also add I like to work out so much because my desk job drives me crazy and I really just like to get out and sweat for a half hour a day lol
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Was told on here 1200 is too low of a calorie goal.. I will explain why I wanted that goal though... because I have mostly a freakin desk job! ughh it sucks. I figured I had to eat really low calories...

I have lost 15 lbs since July.. so now I fluctuate between 124-127 and it hasn't changed in like 2 months. Getting frustrated.. please help experts who have reached their goal weight!

Based on what you have said, you should be eating no less than 1500 calories. Rest days are critical for muscles to recover, and muscles are what you need to burn calories. P90X3 has a great calorie calculator that is easy to use and based on your job and current weight.

http://p90x3nutritionplan.com/step-1-how-much-do-i-eat/

Mike
  • allana1111
    Options

Based on what you have said, you should be eating no less than 1500 calories. Rest days are critical for muscles to recover, and muscles are what you need to burn calories. P90X3 has a great calorie calculator that is easy to use and based on your job and current weight.

http://p90x3nutritionplan.com/step-1-how-much-do-i-eat/

Mike

So my net should be no less than 1500 you're saying? or gross
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

Do you use a food scale and can you open your diary?

ps- based on the calculations I did, it's 1700 total calories.. the deficit is already factored in.
  • allana1111
    Options
    5ft5 and 115 is pretty low...

i know everyone is different but i am 5ft5 and 135lbs and losing 0.5lb per week on NET 1800 cals. I do full body strength training 3x a week and insanity for cardio 2 x a week

nice very interesting.. yeah I mean trust me I love food I'd love to eat more calories. do you go solely on calories and protein, or do u watch your carbs too?
  • Jewels233
    Jewels233 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have absolutely no patience with this get into shape and getting my body back. So I have read a proliferate of literature on how to get to my target. I am 5'4' and a whole lot older (49) than you and have lost 15 of the 30 I hope to lose by April 1. Second 3 month round I hope to lose another 5-10. Never lost weight this fast so something I am doing is working.

Here are some of the items that I have read about and am incorporating into my weight loss program:
    -1100-1700 calories depending on social life and exercise completed that day.
    -Drink 3-6 cups of Oolong tea a day. You can buy it on Amazon.
    -Grapefruit 1-3xs a day
    -Vitamin C supplement
    -Omega 3 supplement
    -Green coffee bean extract supplement (morning and night)
    -Trying to keep to a high protein diet. To do that find that I must incorporate protein supplements.
    -Eating a lot of nuts and vegetables.
    -Other than protein supplements consuming miniscule amount of processed food. Most everything processed (including peanut butter and frozen food) has ingredients that may not add calories but that hinder weight loss just the same.
    -Eating something 4-5xs a day (Might just be almonds but keeps the fuel up)
    -30 minutes HIT on treadmill every morning before I eat anything. Doing cardio on an empty stomach burns fat not calories. I wear a heart monitor to assure that I hit my high target and go down to my low target. Do 2 min high then go to 1 min. low.
    -Perform an extended work out 1-2 xs a week. 6-10 mile hike (1000-2000) calorie burn.
    -Do weights 3xs a week. Take rest day in between. I follow the weight program in "Thinner Leaner and Stronger".
    -Consume BCAA before and after weight lifting. Also eat something that has protein after.

I know it is a mess of items. Maybe you can incorporate a couple of the items.
  • allana1111
    Options

Do you use a food scale and can you open your diary?

ps- based on the calculations I did, it's 1700 total calories.. the deficit is already factored in.

I opened it. yesterday was lower than usual.. but the day before that was over so I think it evened out pretty well.

and no I do not have a food scale..