Diet Fads that do NOT work ( i know, do any? )

Options

Replies

• lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I do love my nutra bullet. I do not use it as a diet but I use it to get more nutrition in.
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    So true. I watched a co-worker of mine go "on a carb-free diet", he lost 20 lbs but his cholesterol and blood pressure were off the charts unhealthy due to eating red meat, cheese and dairy everyday of the week. He went off of it and has literally blow up 30 lbs.

Going low-sugar is the way to go and limiting processed foods but these fad diets only last for a limited amount of time. Going Carb Free is not sustainable and it's not healthy.

I agree low carb is unsustainable .. But i just wanted to know if dairy everyday is bad even if it fits into my goals ? Im a vegetarian and my main source of proteins is dairy .. Milk , yoghurt , cottage cheese etc ...

Dairy is not bad unless you have an allergy or intolerance. The carb free diet tells people to eat cream, full fat cheese, and no milk (carbs) and no yogurt (again, carbs!) So basically they want you to eat the highest fat dairy possible. A reasonable amount of low-fat or even full fat dairy, especially the kinds you've listed like yogurt and cottage cheese, is fine in a balanced diet.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    anyone suckered into LIPOSENE....cuz liposene is proven to really work? LOL

Anything that has a ton of fine print at the bottom of the screen scrolling by insidiously, I'm automatically prone to not believing it. (I read the fine print judiciously - that is, if it doesn't require a microscope to read.)

Incidentally....
    I can't speak for every country, every government agency, and every government worker, but the vast majority of the workers and agencies I have come across are really just doing their best to help the public of their country.

As a Federal employee in law enforcement, I want to say thank you for the above. It's VERY appreciated. :smile:
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    A woman I worked with did the Master Cleanse before she got married. She went in to get her dress fitted, they had to take it in, then she gained it all back plus more in the four weeks before the wedding. In the photos I saw she looked like she was popping out of her dress, and she is now bigger than she was pre-Master Cleanse. Half the women in our office wanted to do the Master Cleanse after her initial success and then they all went off the idea when they saw the wedding photos.
  • LRoslin
    Options
    Way back in the 80s, before Weight Watchers had "points" my mom and I would go on "diets" together which basically consisted of us treating ourselves to those Alba '77 chocolate shakes, which were mainly chocolate flavored powder and ice churned in the blender. We pretended they were delicious treats. We also ate the chalky, disgusting Weight Watchers ice cream that came in paper tubs at our locally owned ice cream place. While my brother was snorkeling down a giant dipped cone, I was scraping up chalky, unsweet "coconut" ice cream and pretending I was enjoying it because it was all I was gonna get!

Needless to say we never lost weight because we felt deprived and would binge later.
  • LRoslin
    Options
    I tried the Nourishing Traditions/coconut oil diet. You eliminated all vegetable oils except coconut, and butter is okay. Grains are bad unless you've soaked them overnight and they start to smell. I lost some weight, mainly because I was not eating a lot of processed food and had cut olive oil and the like out of my diet, but coconut oil is just nasty taken on its own the way they recommended, and it was unsustainable for me.
  • Cathalain
    Options
    Way back in the 80s, before Weight Watchers had "points" my mom and I would go on "diets" together which basically consisted of us treating ourselves to those Alba '77 chocolate shakes

Oh-em-gee. I thought I was the ONLY one that remembered those things - I used to drink them, too. (I was six at the time - now THAT'S sad. I wasn't even overweight!) My mom used to blend a banana in with the chocolate kind and that wasn't actually too bad.

They still sell them, I think - I've seen them in the "diabetic food" section at the market before.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    everyone recognizes the fads and many of us have struggled for years. my question is how many of you have tried these gimmicks yourself before you became educated?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Way back in the 80s, before Weight Watchers had "points" my mom and I would go on "diets" together which basically consisted of us treating ourselves to those Alba '77 chocolate shakes

Oh-em-gee. I thought I was the ONLY one that remembered those things - I used to drink them, too. (I was six at the time - now THAT'S sad. I wasn't even overweight!) My mom used to blend a banana in with the chocolate kind and that wasn't actually too bad.

They still sell them, I think - I've seen them in the "diabetic food" section at the market before.

I remember those! My mom would mix the powder with crushed pineapple then freeze little blobs of it, supposedly it was some sort of treat according to the diet program she was doing - Diet Workshop I think?
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    the only fad diet I followed was Atkins, and it did work for me (By reducing my caloric intake) Of course I slowly gained it all back once i was off the diet (Started with beer again and then quitting smoking added a pound or 20) The diet pills of the 60's 70's did work (Benzadrine I'm looking at you) for me I lost a ton of weight on bennies - I was down to 128 at one point -I'm a little over 5'10" - of course it was entirely unhealthy and everything to do with not eating most of the day or just eating soup - then I got older/marginally smarter )
    My wife and higher friends have worked their way through a good number of them over the years - and the one thing that has been true is caloric reduction/exercise is the only thing that really works, and the only thing that stays is keeping aware of it not hitting a goal and going well that's it then wheres that pint of guinness and that chocolate cake and big bowl of pasta
  • Cathalain
    Options
    My mom did the "cabbage soup diet' in the 80's - that's all she'd eat, 24/7. She lost a ton of weight on it, but (of course) it didn't last long-term.
    my question is how many of you have tried these gimmicks yourself before you became educated?

Except for my mom giving me those Alba shake things as a child, I really haven't tried much of anything other than just straight diet and exercise. I think I just never wanted to waste my money after seeing my mom try so many things and fail - her self-esteem would always be crushed and it broke my heart to see it. Some things were OBVIOUS scams - Lipozene, Hydroxycut, any kind of "pill" thing. I considered Alli for a while, but I didn't like the sound of the side effects. And I was turned off by Weight Watchers because I went to one trial meeting and... I don't know, I'm not a joiner and not social so that aspect turned me completely off.

I wanted to do the bariatric surgery, but my endocrinologist said no (I have T2 diabetes) - she said that she wanted me to do diet and exercise only, and after 6 months, she would MAYBE consider it. (I had to get her approval for the surgery to take place.) After that six months, I'd lost so much on my own that I just kept going.

And here I am. :flowerforyou:
  • burns429
    burns429 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    anyone tried Visalus Shakes/Body by Vi? I know a few people (via FB) that have done this, I've looked into it but didn't pull the trigger...
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What she said!!!!
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    Options
    Dont waste your money educate yourself on nutrition and how you will eat for life. You going to buy shakes the rest of your life????
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried/ currently on Juice Plus ?
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    Options
    Me!! All the fad diets do is put the person in starvation mode. As many of you post most gain the weight back. That is why they did a study and any "diet fad" you go on will not work. The only thing that protects you from all the bull**** out there is that the government makes them put " results not typical"
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Dont waste your money educate yourself on nutrition and how you will eat for life. You going to buy shakes the rest of your life????

Exactly, instead of spending a ton of money on processed foods and drinks, better off learning to cook (I can't get over how many people can't even handle the basics of cooking) and balance your diet . Ultimately cheaper and healthier, and should result in long term weight reduction
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    everyone recognizes the fads and many of us have struggled for years. my question is how many of you have tried these gimmicks yourself before you became educated?

Me. I did the South Beach Diet in about 2005. I lost weight but didn't pay much attention to Phase 3 which was about adopting a healthy lifestyle/attitude toward food, which I now see is the most important part of it.

I bought acai berry once and drank a tanker load of green tea last Summer.

Trial and error, research on the internet and the MFP forums have helped me a lot over the past several months.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I could go on forever:

Detoxes

Cleanses

Wraps

HCG

Juice Fasts

Cabbage soup diet

Alli

Just to name a few

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You legit tried all these?
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers

Slimming World - I know it works for some people but, seriously: I'm allowed to eat as much pasta and bolognese sauce as I want?!! Why did I ever think that was going to work...

Cabbage Soup - My mum and I did this for a week before entering a healthy eating plan. It did KIND of work. I mean, I lost weight. But it was the most depressing week of my life.

I then did Intermittent Fasting for a couple of weeks - LOL. I like food. This was NEVER going to work. Again: I'm sure it does for some people but again: DEPRESSING.

Also tried 5:2 for a week before I realised it's pretty much the same as IF and equally as depressing.

IIFYM is the best thing I've done so far. It doesn't even feel like a programme. And it WORKS.