S.B.F. Challenge. . .August 4th. . .

Options
Only four days to go!

Yesterday I ended up doing a "long slow burn" elliptical session at a lower heart rate than usual. It felt like cheating. . .but I just read something about how this is supposed to help with body fat burning. I did 60 minutes on the elliptical at a heart rate of around 130. Felt like a vacation!

Then, I did some ab work (oh, "russian twists". . .I hate you so hard.) and took a steam. It's a holiday weekend here, so there was actually no one in the gym but me and the desk lady for almost my entire workout. I had an elaborate fantasy that I was a go-zillionaire and it was my private home gym. :tongue:

Today is bikram, and maybe a walk (I promise, no gelato. . .what's Italian for "crack"? I think they put some in it.) I'm psychologically gearing up for my low exercise days on my trip. Watching my nutrition will be the hard part, but I'm going to try to keep a balance between obsession and going koo-koo with the cheese sauce (easy to do in the heartland.)

Happy workouts!

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Only four days to go!

Yesterday I ended up doing a "long slow burn" elliptical session at a lower heart rate than usual. It felt like cheating. . .but I just read something about how this is supposed to help with body fat burning. I did 60 minutes on the elliptical at a heart rate of around 130. Felt like a vacation!

Then, I did some ab work (oh, "russian twists". . .I hate you so hard.) and took a steam. It's a holiday weekend here, so there was actually no one in the gym but me and the desk lady for almost my entire workout. I had an elaborate fantasy that I was a go-zillionaire and it was my private home gym. :tongue:

Today is bikram, and maybe a walk (I promise, no gelato. . .what's Italian for "crack"? I think they put some in it.) I'm psychologically gearing up for my low exercise days on my trip. Watching my nutrition will be the hard part, but I'm going to try to keep a balance between obsession and going koo-koo with the cheese sauce (easy to do in the heartland.)

Happy workouts!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Then, I did some ab work (oh, "russian twists". . .I hate you so hard.) and took a steam.

--- What are "Russian twists"? :huh:

I had an elaborate fantasy that I was a go-zillionaire and it was my private home gym. :tongue:

---- HOW COOL. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Today is bikram

--- Wanna try this so badly but I'm such a scardy cat since I hear one in-shape person in my yoga class say it was hard. :sad: Your opinion? I've only been doing yoga (beginnger and intermediate) for 1.5 years.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    I had a good weekend, though I can't say it was restful. I didn't do too badly with my eating at the retreat, but when I got home I felt like I was starving! So I overdid it a little yesterday. Getting back on track today. I did manage to get 40 minutes on the treadmill at 3.7 miles an hour. It's been awhile since I have walked due to the heat, so my butt was sore.
    Today is:
    drinking all my water (I know I am dehydrated)
    Taebo (45 minutes of abs or the fat burning amped)
    lots of cleaning and laundry. yuck.

I ordered my BL dvd's on Friday. I hope they come in by Wednesday, though I'm not counting on it. I will be gone next week all week, so I hope they come in so I can at least watch them and try them out!
    All right, off to log beakfast and get to work!
    Melissa
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    Good Monday morning all! Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Yesterday was a quiet day for me other than mowing the lawn & vacuuming the pool. We had a torrential rain storm for about 20 minutes so my 5 year old and I sprinted up and down the driveway about 20 times so we could jump in the puddles. It felt GREAT to be able to run as fast as he was without gasping for air or feeling self conscious about my fat self jiggling all over!

Today was the beginning of week three of Turbo Jam. I'm finally able to keep up consistantly. We also went on a mile walk already.

Have a great day all!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Then, I did some ab work (oh, "russian twists". . .I hate you so hard.) and took a steam.

--- What are "Russian twists"? :huh:

I had an elaborate fantasy that I was a go-zillionaire and it was my private home gym. :tongue:

---- HOW COOL. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Today is bikram

--- Wanna try this so badly but I'm such a scardy cat since I hear one in-shape person in my yoga class say it was hard. :sad: Your opinion? I've only been doing yoga (beginnger and intermediate) for 1.5 years.

Russian twists are performed with a medicine ball. You hold the medicine ball in front (you're seated on a mat, leaning back with a flat back just until your abs engage) and then you twist to touch the floor with the med. ball on either side of you. . .I used 12 pounds for the first time yesterday. Oof. I don't know how good that explanation was, but I'm sure if you google it you can find a better one. . .they're great for both you obliques and your back.

Bikram was truly scary at first. My first time I did think I might have to be rescued by paramedics, but I think this is due to the fact that the class is A: hot. really hot. (you get used to it, and I in fact now crave the heat, and can't imagine doing yoga in a cool room) B: you're encouraged to stay in the room. (I'm very claustrophobic, and I didn't know this was a thing. . .so I sort of freaked out.) The sequence, although challenging (there are lots of one-legged balancing postures) is not hard. I would say go for it. . .the trick isn't going once, but going back! Prepare yourself that the heat may overwhelm you at first, and that happens to just about everybody. I spent my first class laying (lying?) on my mat for a great portion of the time, but within two weeks I was completing the whole series and going three times a week. I'm very sensitive to cold, and actually had quit yoga entirely because my gym believed in super-airconditioning the yoga studio, so I would have bad muscle pain. . .not the effect you'd want from yoga. My teacher said that I might enjoy the heat. . .and I do. All those many words being said (typed) it's not for everyone, but I think if you want to try it, you should. :flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    So that's what that dang exercise is called.

So adding to my feeling of impotence (my wrist got worse last night), my garage door broke - both the spring and the thingy that lets you open the garage door manually - so I CAN'T LEAVE THE HOUSE! And before any crazy person suggests walking or biking, it's going to be 103 degrees today.

So I guess I'm walking on the treadmill today. I better do it soon, because the AC can't keep up when it gets this hot. Yesterday I did elliptical.

I'm going to try ibuprofen for a few days, if that doesn't work, I'll go to the doctor. I am teaching yoga on Thursday, so I'm hoping for a new wrist by then.

Oh, good news, I lost my first pound of this challenge :bigsmile:

Mary
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Mary,
    I hear you about the heat! Yuck! I think it's suppose to be 105 or 107 here today. I will pray about your wrist! I'm sorry it's hurting and not getting better. And congrats on your one pound loss! I can't wait to see my first pound loss.
    My scale is still in the closet Viv! I really don't think I have lost anything at all anyway. I'll bring it out next week some time and compare it to my mom's digital to see how far off I am. Not really looking forward to that. I could be at least 5 pounds heavier than I thought. But you know, pounds really don't matter that much. I am more concerned about clothes fitting and getting into an 8/10!
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    Options
    Mary and MM... I'm hoping you get some relief from the heat soon!

I am back from my long weekend of watching fantastic tennis! It was so much fun. Of course the food options at the tournament were not so great, and I did have several beers. We did a lot of walking around the site between matches. Luckily, the scale was kind this morning! I maintained! I'm really happy about that!

My goals today...
    -Shred Level 1 + some time on the stationary bike
    -Push ups and cobra presses
    -Lots of water... I think I need to replenish from the weekend
    -Healthy eating
    -Evening walk
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Hope you had a good weekend! Mne was super busy!!

Today we went and looked at a house. I biked there and back but I know i didnt burn too many cals haha I dont plan on doing any other exercise today but just to keep in my cal goals. Hopefully i can get back on track tomorrow.

Life is kind of crazy since we are looking into buying our first house and I have been offered a GREAT job that I need to think about as well. I probably get my blood work results tomorrow so I will see how that goes!

Have a good day all!