Beating Diateties

Options
I am a type II diabetic and am taking metformin, actos, and Januvia. My doctor said I must loose 30 lbs. Is it reasonable to loose 2.5 lbs per week for 12 weeks through good nutrition (diet) and exercise?:smile::smile:

Replies

• jabec105
    jabec105 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I found it easier to start with 1 lb a week, and watching my Sugar and Carb intake.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Since you posed the question, I have to say I think that's a little unrealisticl.... and if you're only planning to do it for 12 weeks what happens after that? I have type 2 as well and have had to completely change my eating habits and some exercise (only walking and a ittle strength training at this point) but I have brought my blood sugars down from 8.5 to 6.7... enough where I am only on a half dose of Metforim 2x a day. my goal is to get off the meds completely .... you may find this group on MFP helfpul in getting to your goal; it has loads of links and resources and information too! Knowledge is power and there's loads of it on MFP thanks to the generous users who are always willing to share - congrats on deciding to get healthier!:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    Well the max target is about 2 pounds a week, however you should experience a larger, one time, initial weight loss too so it may be possible. Either way if you stick with it should be able to loose at least 26 pounds. I am not sure what your doctor wants you to lose it for, but whatever it is that should be enough to bring you close enough. If not it only takes two weeks more.

That assumes you are able to stick with it 7 days a week and that you already burn enough that you can create a deficit of 1000 kcal a day, which may not be possibly.

If I were you I would take it much slower and aim for one pound a week. Yeah it will take longer but unless you really need to drop it now, like right now, focusing on getting into a much more healthy mindset is much more important. After all what about once you have dropped the weight? If you keep up your old habits you are going to end up at your old weight.

If anything your doctor said disagree with what I have said, disregard my advice. I am a computer programmer, not a doctor.