Hello Fresh

Options
pa_jorg
pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
Anyone else use Hello Fresh, the meal delivery service? I was thinking about trying it out for weeks that I know will be hectic.

I also found a $20 coupon code so figured it might be worth a try, just wanted to ask for opinions first.

FYI the code is DH25T2 if anyone is interested.
www.hellofresh.com

Replies

• hidee75
    Options
    I actually got my first delivery today. Tonight we cooked the Steak Tagliata and it was amazing. I would not recommend it unless your prepared to put in some effort. It's not prepared food...it's prepared ingredients. And most of the ingredients still need prep work. I would say it took me just over a half hour to prepare the dinner but it was a solid dedicated half hour. I wasn't able to trail away and catch a glimpse of the news or anything like that. It's also a weekly service so if you don't want it every week be sure to "pause" the other weeks or cancel, otherwise you will find yourself with a box of food on your doorstep that you were not expecting. But again, dinner was amazing!!
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    Thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed the meals, even if it is some work!
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I was just looking into HelloFresh because my credit card is offering 25% cash back if I make a purchase with them. Pairing that with the $20 coupon you posted, it would be around $36 for the classic box. That doesn't sound so bad. What I don't like about what I'm reading is the calorie count in these meals. 804 for Lasagna Baked Penne. It doesn't look like you have a choice in what they send? Do you get to tell them if you have dietary needs? I love the concept and would love to try it, but I'm not so sure it would work for us.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    The food and service is AMAZING! The portion sizes are huge enough for most things that you can get 2 meals per person out of them. I have been getting boxes for a few months now and I love the convenience of having the exact ingredients I need as well as the beautiful step by step recipe cards.

I use it mostly for date night dinners for the boyfriend and I. It does not seem very feasible for families as far as my budget goes. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than going out to a restaurant as well as tastier to me.
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that uses them pretty frequently, and she enjoys the meals.

But it seems like a waste of money in all honesty. I can take my happy *kitten* to the grocery store/farmers market and buy all the same ingredients for way less out of pocket.
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    I was just looking into HelloFresh because my credit card is offering 25% cash back if I make a purchase with them. Pairing that with the $20 coupon you posted, it would be around $36 for the classic box. That doesn't sound so bad. What I don't like about what I'm reading is the calorie count in these meals. 804 for Lasagna Baked Penne. It doesn't look like you have a choice in what they send? Do you get to tell them if you have dietary needs? I love the concept and would love to try it, but I'm not so sure it would work for us.

I got the Veggie Box and the calorie counts weren't too bad. There was plenty of extra food too. I didn't use the option, but you can definitely tell them about dietary needs.

I'm not going to use the service on a regular basis, but wanted to try it once to see how I liked it, which I did. I think I'm going to keep the account and just get a box once every few months on weeks that I know my schedule will be insane.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Now that I hear more, I am more interested in trying it out. My problem is that I'm just not that into cooking and need this kind of help to get me going. If I know I already have the right ingredients and the right amount, I am going to be more apt to cook at home. I don't think that the price is as cost-effective as it would be otherwise, but then again, I'm not going to the store and taking that time nor am I spending the gas to drive there, so there's that to factor in. If you could get more than two meals from each then it's getting better. Thank you for your input. I'm glad I searched instead of starting a new thread!
  • autumnlily31185
    autumnlily31185 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If you get the App EveryMove (where you get points for your activity and also syncs with MFP and lots of other sites as well) you can choose a reward of $35 off of your box. So I just ordered my first box which will be here next week. I got the veggie box and for 6 meals (3 meals/wk for 2 people) I only paid $24.
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    Now that I hear more, I am more interested in trying it out. My problem is that I'm just not that into cooking and need this kind of help to get me going. If I know I already have the right ingredients and the right amount, I am going to be more apt to cook at home. I don't think that the price is as cost-effective as it would be otherwise, but then again, I'm not going to the store and taking that time nor am I spending the gas to drive there, so there's that to factor in. If you could get more than two meals from each then it's getting better. Thank you for your input. I'm glad I searched instead of starting a new thread!

I enjoy cooking quite a bit actually. The extra bonus of this box for me was that they sent recipes/ingredients for meals that I never would have thought to make on my own (cashew coconut curry for example). I think just using their meals to break a rut sometimes will be helpful too.
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    If you get the App EveryMove (where you get points for your activity and also syncs with MFP and lots of other sites as well) you can choose a reward of $35 off of your box. So I just ordered my first box which will be here next week. I got the veggie box and for 6 meals (3 meals/wk for 2 people) I only paid $24.

Earnedit.com also has them as a reward sometimes too.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I found a coupon code and am looking forward to trying it out.