Fat loss, muscle growth - I am confused!

Options
Here's the thing: I have lost 22 pounds since september, mostly eating at deficit and doing Fcus T25. I now am below my goal which was to weight 200 pounds. Now I'm not sure what I wanna do. I still have fat around my abdomen but I feel that if I go down to 190 lbs I will be too small/skinny considering my body type (6 ft tall, large shoulders), so in order to avoid that I do bodyweight exercises to get some muscles at the same time, but I'm afraid the muscle won't grow since I've been told muscle grow up when you eat at a surplus.

I am definately stronger and I feel something is changing in my body but considering I want to get rid of the fat AND build muscle/strength should I be eating at deficit or at surplus?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing: I have lost 22 pounds since september, mostly eating at deficit and doing Fcus T25. I now am below my goal which was to weight 200 pounds. Now I'm not sure what I wanna do. I still have fat around my abdomen but I feel that if I go down to 190 lbs I will be too small/skinny considering my body type (6 ft tall, large shoulders), so in order to avoid that I do bodyweight exercises to get some muscles at the same time, but I'm afraid the muscle won't grow since I've been told muscle grow up when you eat at a surplus.

I am definately stronger and I feel something is changing in my body but considering I want to get rid of the fat AND build muscle/strength should I be eating at deficit or at surplus?

Thanks for the help.

I would suggest eating at a small deficit, set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week, and eat back most of the cals you burn from exercise. @6ft fall 190lbs is not too small, it is "normal".

For the record, it is almost impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. The goal is usually lose fat while maintaining muscle and gaining strength, or building muscle while minimizing fat gain. the difference in these 2 comes down to diet and surplus vs. deficit.

Now you can try an recomp but is quite difficult and time consuming. You can Google leangains and get some tips on how to there, though will take a long time to do.

also look at height and weight of NBA players, many are lower than you and taller, and are in good shape, not too thin:
    D.J. Augustin 6' -183
    Jose Barea 6' -175
    Josh Akognon 5'11" -185
    Will-Bynum-Guard-2007
    Will Bynum 6' - 185
    Darren Collison 6' -175
    Chris-Paul-Guard 6'-2005
    Chris Paul 6' -175
    Rajon Rondo 6'1" -186
    Mo Williams 6'1" - 195
    etc.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    Bump for Leangains. It's The Truth...although I'm still new to it.
  • patlebrun1
    patlebrun1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

@6ft fall 190lbs is not too small, it is "normal".

also look at height and weight of NBA players, many are lower than you and taller, and are in good shape, not too thin:
    D.J. Augustin 6' -183
    Jose Barea 6' -175
    Josh Akognon 5'11" -185
    Will-Bynum-Guard-2007
    Will Bynum 6' - 185
    Darren Collison 6' -175
    Chris-Paul-Guard 6'-2005
    Chris Paul 6' -175
    Rajon Rondo 6'1" -186
    Mo Williams 6'1" - 195
    etc.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the advice. English is my second language and I might have said this the wrong way. You're right, 6'.0''-190 is pretty normal, I think what I wanted to say is that I don't want to look wimpy at 190 lbs and that I want to develop muscles at the same time, without bulking up. True these athletes are not too thin but they have a fair amount of muscular mass. I just don't want to get down to 190 lbs and look at myself in the mirror looking thin without any muscle. Hence my question -deficit or surplus?- to continue getting lean while growing some muscles to look...kinda like you or Orion782 actually.

This is the type of body that I would like to get. Skinny but muscular. Anyway I hope what I'm saying is not too confusing.

Thanks again