Post workout Chocolate and habits

Options
www.sparkpeople.com/resource/dailyspark-vi
deos-detail.asp?video=30

I've been looking at this video, and I must say, I'm intrigued.

Getting into an exercise habit, for me, is my biggest challenge. For the most part, my food is under control (though, I do struggle with special circumstances/events). However, I never stay in a workout routine for more than a day or two.

I understand that the purpose of eating a small piece of chocolate is to help the brain associate a workout with the same "feel good" feeling that eating a piece of chocolate gives you. I've tried reserving specific podcasts and audio-books for workouts only. I've set rules that I can only get my mango cilantro seltzer if I WALK to the store (over a mile away). I'm also allowed to get another flavored water (like Hint) if I walk back. (Although, the store no longer carries the seltzer, but that's another issue altogether).

I'm somewhat interested in giving this cue, routine, reward idea a try, but I'm a little uncertain as to how to go about this. To start, my schedule is not the most stable right now. I cannot always work out at the same time, so I'm trying to figure out other ways to get the cue portion done. I wear my walking/running shoes almost daily. Best I can think of is the act of changing into my workout clothes and strapping on my HRM, but I'm not sure if that even qualifies.

And then, there's the reward thing. The idea of having a piece of chocolate after a workout sounds great, and a little scary at the same time. After all, I reserve my sweet treats for bedtime. Plus, I've always heard that you shouldn't reward yourself with food. Granted, the chocolate I had in mind (sea salt and/or chili dark chocolate) is only around 54 calories for a square. And does your post-workout reward only need to be for post-workout? What if I decide I want chocolate as my bedtime snack on a rest day? (Granted, that's not likely to happen because my rest day is also the one day I don't have a bedtime snack).

Any thoughts on the whole thing?

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't need a reward, the excellent feeling I get for the rest of the day after a workout is a great reward, not to mention the better looking body. If you need something for a positive reinforcement how about making your "chocolate" reward a great tasting protein shake after your workout. The protein will do your body good right after the workout and if you get some of the really good tasting ones you feel like you are drinking a milkshake.

My current favorites are the Trutein brands (Cinnamon Bun that tastes like a cinnabon and a Chocolate Peanut Butter that is like a Reeses). You can slip some greens in and not even notice. And at 115-120 calories / serving + the liquid of choice they give you room for other great foods.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have an "end of day" routine. I work out usually around 9, come back, protein shake, shower, smoke, eat a meal, watch tv, sleep. I sort of fell into this, but if something throws a wrench in it I get kind of upset.

On rewards though, I will reward myself with food for non-health things. It's not "I worked out, I deserve this" it's usually "I did something anxiety-triggering, I deserve this." But I am trying not to do that unless the anxiety issue is solved. For example, on Monday I received scary news about my graduation status, and I wanted to reward myself for not screaming and crying (in public) by eating pasta but... I realized if I did that I would probably binge, so I didn't. Today, I solved my problem (yay!) so I'm having two servings of pasta with dinner :)

I don't know what my point is. Do what works for you. Stop yourself from doing things that don't work.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you're looking specifically for an after-workout treat, have some chocolate milk or a chocolate protein shake. Low-fat chocolate milk is supposedly the best thing for you after a workout - it replenishes carbs and gives you protein.
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't like drinking my calories, so the protein shake or chocolate milk wouldn't work for me.

I know that the results from exercise should be a reward in itself, but I think I still need a bit more instant gratification right now. I can work out every day for a month without it making me feel better, I don't crave exercise. So, the idea of using a little treat like a piece of chocolate after a workout to help my brain connect the workout habit with feeling good appeals to me. Supposedly, this concept does not even require you to continue the post-workout chocolate.

I suppose it's like a smoker who is trying to quit and chews a stick of gum whenever he has an urge to smoke. He eventually trades one habit (smoking) for another (gum chewing). Eventually, exercise will do for me what eating a really nice, quality piece of chocolate does.
  • shor0814
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a treat our reward if it makes a difference. Just make sure it fits your calories and macros. Just don't let it lead to bigger rewards that cancel out the good that the exercise did.
  • rhonda6373
    Options
    Have you tried the Skinny Cow chocolate? Perhaps that could be an option.
  • icha3x
    icha3x Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    LOVE skinny cow....but its hard not to eat the whole box...so be careful with those ;) like anything else. moderation.

note on the bedtime snack. i was always under the impression that eating within 2 hours of going to bed was not recommended. I do try not to eat past 7pm. I believe the reasoning is that your body has a harder time to process the food or a harder time getting to rem sleep because it has to process the food. please do not quote me on this, i need to re-research this out as i am clearly not remembering it correctly. though one ounce of Green & Blacks dark chocolate is not going to harm you. love that stuff. Aldi's actually has some pretty good dark chocolate as well.
  • froggiebecky
    froggiebecky Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have no shame in having a little bit of chocolate post-workout. But only if it's a really hard session. The reasoning is:

Dark chocolate is an excellent source of magnesium. (here's one source, that's not wikipedia: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-magnesium.php)

Magnesium is the flip side of the calcium coin. It helps your muscles relax and not feel so sore. I usually take a magnesium supplement before bed if I'm going to (Mg, as a muscle relaxant, can make me a little drowsy).

n.b.: I'm not talking about a snickers bar. I'm talking about a square or 2 of dark chocolate.
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Kaylee_Loren Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't need a reward, the excellent feeling I get for the rest of the day after a workout is a great reward, not to mention the better looking body.

THIISSSS. It really isn't a very good idea to "reward" your exercise with treats.. After all, you're not an dog! :laugh: But, if that's what you need to motivate yourself, I'd say do what you have to do. But, I agree with the other posters, I would definitely lean towards a protein shake or chocolate milk (mmmmmm:love: ) or at least dark chocolate. Many people fall into the "I exercised today, so I deserve this!" mentality, but it's just going to hinder your awesome progress!

Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me the idea of a reward for exercising is a slippery slope. Do you reward yourself for brushing your teeth? For me it's the same thing... Something I have to do. It's just not an option to skip it.
  • shor0814
    Options
    Quest Chocolate Brownie or Double Chocolate Chunk. Chocolate and protein in one.
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This would not be a "I worked out, so I get a treat" free for all. It would be a specific treat I set aside only for workouts. I know some people don't drink coffee until after they have a couple glasses of water. It's the same thing in my mind.

I am a bit of a Choco snob. I like very good, high quality dark chocolate. Theo's orange dark chocolate comes to mind. Skinny Cow chocolate? No thank you. At the very least, I would have a 54 calorie square of World Market dark chocolate. But I'm not thinking an entire chocolate bar! If I liked cheap chocolate, I would consider a single Hershey's Kiss.

It doesn't necessarily have to be chocolate though. That was just the example used in the video, but I do like it. I cannot think of any non-food rewards that will work for me. Some suggestions would be nice,

I do not drink protein shakes though. Chocolate milk is also out.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I just eat the chocolate because I like it. When I want it. And make it fit into my calorie goals.