How do I lose 20 pounds??? please help

Options
So im 5'4 16 and about 151 pounds. I have always been over weight and I hate it because I really dont have any confidence in myself so I always give up. I have tried sooo many times but I never stick with my plan. I dont like my bodys shape, my hips and theighs look huge and they kind of stick out. What my main question is, is how can I lose 20 pounds in about 2-3 months? What excersise should I do? What did you do to lose weight? How can I keep myself motivated to not give up like every other time I have tried? I really need some help. Thank you.

Replies

• emzyloo88
    emzyloo88 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    cut the calories and walk if any other exercise is to hard
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    cut the calories and walk if any other exercise is to hard

Pretty much this. No one can do this for you. You have to decide to do what you already know you need to do. But you know what? You can do it. You're worth the trouble. Just decide...and do it. One step at a time.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Consistently consuming on average about 500-1000 calories fewer than you need to fuel your body's activities is the only sure method of losing weight.
  • philipdavey3956
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm similar in that I'm 5'4", BUT I'm Male, 161 pounds and just coming up to 60 next month. I've just started doing exactly what emzyloo88 suggests, I've really cut down on my calories and started walking about 2 miles EVERY day :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What did you do to lose weight?
    I decided I was going to do it, do it right, and stick with it.

I entered my info and goals honestly and realistically into MFP. I ate my daily calories, I drank water, I got good sleep. I exercised. I logged everything in my MFP diary. I was patient.

Worked like a charm. :smile:
  • bren998
    bren998 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Walk.....walk...walk
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So im 5'4 16 and about 151 pounds. I have always been over weight and I hate it because I really dont have any confidence in myself so I always give up. I have tried sooo many times but I never stick with my plan. I dont like my bodys shape, my hips and theighs look huge and they kind of stick out. What my main question is, is how can I lose 20 pounds in about 2-3 months? What excersise should I do? What did you do to lose weight? How can I keep myself motivated to not give up like every other time I have tried? I really need some help. Thank you.

first of all 20lbs is 2-3 months is unrealistic...

aim for 1lb per week (set MFP accordingly) eat plenty of protein and do some regular exercise - walking is a great starting point if you are out of shape, but adding in sime strength/resistance training will get you better end results.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

first of all 20lbs is 2-3 months is unrealistic...

aim for 1lb per week (set MFP accordingly) eat plenty of protein and do some regular exercise - walking is a great starting point if you are out of shape, but adding in sime strength/resistance training will get you better end results.

QFT

Ditch the timeframe, it's not important how fast you lose the weight. You're not that overweight so nice and slow is the way to go. Do some strength training and I promise you'll like the results. Figure out your TDEE and lift heavy three times a week, do a little cardio and let the process run it's course.

Rigger
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    When I was 16, I was 5'2" 145 but in excellent shape. No, I wasn't skinny but I most certainly wasn't overweight. I was on the softball team, volleyball team and marching band. What's different is that it was the early 90s before cell phones, internet, xbox and a lot of other foolishness to keep you indoors. I also lived in NYC where we walked everywhere or caught the bus and train. You probably need to give a little more info, do u live in a city, or suburb, participate in activities in school? What do you do on the weekends.
    Let me say this: school lunch in crap, bring your own. Make turkey wraps, eat hamburgers without the cheese and without the bun, NO SODA, limit yourself to 1 juice a day, a lot of water, try to do a month of no fried foods-no fried chicken, no french fries, no pizza all the stuff that teens like to eat (I have a 17yr old step daughter so I know)! You may not drop 20, but you much certainly will drop at least 10-and you will look and feel much better
  • jedikrissy
    jedikrissy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am 5' 4" as well, When I joined MFP almost 2 years ago I started at 180. I went to put on my jeans one day they didn't fit and I said I will not buy bigger pants!! That's what started my motivation, you have to find what motivates you set goals and work towards them. Remember that it's not a diet but a life style change, your on a path to a healthier you, the exercises and food choice's you make should be something you stick with for the rest of your life.

As for exercise I just started walking to work, I ran on a elliptical and I found this yoga designed for weight loss on You Tube and I did it 5 days a week and I still do. Here's one of the yoga links
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fsQPM9xek8

I highly recommended logging all your food and sticking to what MFP say's you should eat in a day. Do some research on fats and crabs and calories. That's what I did, the internet can be a helpful tool just make sure to check sources and don't just look on one web site check many.

As for staying motivated, only you can do that. Reward yourself when you reach a goal, and get support from friends, family and the MFP family. YOU CAN DO THIS! I reached my goal in 9 months and I am still going strong, Just stick with it don't give up!
    Even when you don't want to work out do it anyways and eventually you will never want to miss a work out cause it feels so good!

I wish you all the best in your weight loss journey, You can do it!
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi Shell,
    I agree that 1lb a week is a more reasonable goal. Weight loss is a journey, not a race. It takes time and you have to do the work to get results. I could give you my long sob story of how I struggled with my weight for most of my life, but to cut to the chase, losing weight isn't always as easy as the basic equation of calories in - calories out. If you've tried a simple calorie reduction with exercise and haven't seen results, go see your doctor. You may have an underlying condition or your body simply has different needs than the average person. Me for instance, I need to eat lower carb and cleaner foods to lose weight. It took 12 years and a few different doctors before one finally figured it out. I wasn't even pre-diabetic, insulin resistant, food allergies, etc. None of it. I cried the first time I saw the scale go down just from eating the right foods for my body without even exercising. It had never happen before. Not only that, my mood felt normal for once, my skin cleared up, I slept better, I had energy to workout and I wanted to work out. I'm not saying low carb is for you. If you're struggling, work with your doctor to figure out a strategy that's right for you. Everyone is different. I know how you're feeling. Keep working at it! I wish you all the best. :flowerforyou:
  • froggiebecky
    froggiebecky Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I was 16, I was a bit like you, only more so. I was 5'3" and about 175. Here's some things I wish someone had told me when I was your age:

Everybody (and every body) is different. Because of that, you look down the lunch table, see all the crap the skinny girls are eating (or not), and expect that if you eat like them, then you will look like them. For better or worse your body isn't giving you a free pass to abuse it with crappy food, or no food at all. THAT'S OKAY.

Being a little heavier than you'd like as a teenager might actually be a good thing: you are learning now about good food choices for you. Learning early makes life a LOT easier. And don't compare yourself to anyone else. it might take some trial and error to learn what your body loves best.

Good food (that you prepare at home) tastes a heck of a lot better than the crap that's for sale at school. Bring your lunch. Eat at home. Stay away from fast food.

Walking is a great way to start exercising. I'm not sure about your resources, but you might also consider doing something else. There's LOTS of ways to exercise. What do you like to do? Dance? Put on some of your favourite music and dance around your room. Or maybe sign up for a class. Hip hop? Belly dance (my favourite!) ballroom? Or maybe something else? Skiing? Water skiing? Surfing? Synchronised swimming? Go crazy and find something you LIKE. The key when you're just getting started is to just get moving. For me, that turned out to be belly dance and wake boarding (a bit like snowboarding in the water), and I wish I'd found it sooner. Sometimes it helps to say "I do strength training so I can get better at ____."
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    It's been proven that weight loss is pretty much impossible to accomplish. Sorry for bringing the truth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Losing weight is at least 80% diet. Exercise burns calories.....but it really is for fitness.

If you're feeling overwhelmed, start with the diet part first. Just eat your regular foods BUT measure portions & log them. This can be an eyeopener. Some foods you are currently eating are great.....others not so much. You can tweak your diet as you go.

When you reduce calories it becomes more important to get the most out of them. Protein, fat & fiber keep you full longer.

Whole foods (less processed ones) typically give me the most bang for my buck. Whole fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats, reduced fat dairy, nuts & eggs

As far as motivation.....this is a marathon, not a sprint. Everyone has good days and bad. Don't beat yourself up on a bad day. Just dust yourself off and keep going.

After you've got the food thing down.....move more. Walking is great. I live in the midwest & there is too much snow to walk outdoors....so I take an indoor "walk" .......these are excuse proof really....I can walk after dark, I can walk when it's raining outside.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+walking&sm=1
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What my main question is, is how can I lose 20 pounds in about 2-3 months? What excersise should I do? What did you do to lose weight? How can I keep myself motivated to not give up like every other time I have tried? I really need some help. Thank you.

Losing 20 lbs in 2-3 months shouldn't be too hard if you want it badly enough to stick to a plan. But only you can decide whether you stick to a plan or not. Best advice I have is:
    1. Don't make your diet so restrictive that you are miserable. Misery often leads to giving up.
    2. Exercise. Any movement is good and burns calories. Find something you like, or at least don't hate, and do it regularly. Don't try to go too hard core right out of the box. Work at your level and gradually improve.
    3. Expect to have bad days where you overeat. Don't use that as an excuse to give up. Just get over it and continue.