Advice for that last bit that just won't leave.

Options
Hey all.:drinker:

So, I've been on my weightloss journey for about nine months now. I've seen some results everywhere but the scale, which frankly I could care less about. But, about three months ago I hit a plateau. Actually, it kind of went in reverse. The more I upped my exercise, the more I seemed to jiggle.

I'm 5'6'' and 148.

I work out 5-7x a week. I love lifting heavy, and I do strength training 4-5x a week. The other days I'll run about 5-6 miles on average.

An average day of meals looks like...:
Breakfast: egg & ham on whole wheat toast
Snack: Green apple or hummus & carrots
Lunch: salad or wrap or small maki sushi roll or leftover dinners
Snack: Protein shake
Dinner: Chicken with rice & veggies

Normally, I'm somewhere around 1400-1600 calories. My BMR is 1400 and my TDEE is 2100. Someone please let me know what I could tweak to help shed that last bit I want gone! Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You have done amazing and I love that you are not scale obsessed because some of our best victories have nothing to do with the scale. It seems like when people plateau, they need to mix up their routine. Your body has become used to what you're doing. Just mixing it up might be all you need to push through that plateau!
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Kaylee_Loren Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You have done amazing and I love that you are not scale obsessed because some of our best victories have nothing to do with the scale. It seems like when people plateau, they need to mix up their routine. Your body has become used to what you're doing. Just mixing it up might be all you need to push through that plateau!

haha thanks, I'm not gonna let a number define my *kitten*-kicking hard work I've been doing.

Yeah, I did that though.. I was originally doing cardio 4x a week and weight lifting 3, and I reversed it and added in crossfit a couple times a week too..Overall just really kicking my *kitten* at the gym and surprisingly that's when I started seeing my flab return.. This is why I'm so damn confused!
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I did that though, I was originally doing cardio 4 times a week and weight lifting 3, and I reversed it and added in crossfit a couple times a week too and surprisingly that's when I started seeing my flab return.. This is why I'm so damn confused!

:huh:

That seems like a lot of activity. If you're considering CrossFit heavy lifting, it's really not. It's more in line with cardio like HIIT or ciruit training than it is strength training.

Opening up your diary might help for anyone giving advice. Also, are you weighing and measuring everything you eat?
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Options

That seems like a lot of activity. If you're considering CrossFit heavy lifting, it's really not. It's more in line with cardio like HIIT or ciruit training than it is strength training.

Opening up your diary might help for anyone giving advice. Also, are you weighing and measuring everything you eat?

I know it's a lot, but I really like exercising. But, no, I don't consider Xfit heavy lifting, I consider my heavy lifting-heavy lifting. Reading it back it sounded pretty confusing, like I exercise 9 days a week, but I meant I strength train 4-5x a week and do cardio 1-2x which is either running or crossfit.

I eat clean & healthy, and in moderate portions. I don't weigh and measure EVERYthing, just because I really don't want it all to overtake my life. Also, because if I constantly think about eating, I'll constantly eat. :laugh: But, if that's your advice is to weigh everything, I guess I'll have to give it a shot! :grumble: Thanks!
  • a_stronger_me13
    Options

I know it's a lot, but I really like exercising. But, no, I don't consider Xfit heavy lifting, I consider my heavy lifting-heavy lifting. Reading it back it sounded pretty confusing, like I exercise 9 days a week, but I meant I strength train 4-5x a week and do cardio 1-2x which is either running or crossfit.

I eat clean & healthy, and in moderate portions. I don't weigh and measure EVERYthing, just because I really don't want it all to overtake my life. Also, because if I constantly think about eating, I'll constantly eat. :laugh: But, if that's your advice is to weigh everything, I guess I'll have to give it a shot! :grumble: Thanks!

The last little bit is stubborn for almost everyone. You don't HAVE to weigh and measure everything, but the closer you get to your goal the more critical accuracy is in your food intake. If you keep at the heavy lifting and some moderate cardio, it will come off and you'll lean out to where you want to be, it will just take a little longer than you may have anticipated. If you're within 5lbs or so, a lot of people will start reverse dieting and put most of the focus on composition.

Adequate protein is going to be a big thing whenever you're in a deficit and even at maintenance as well as adequate recovery time between strength workouts. Just out of curiosity, what strength program are you running?

ETA: Not trying to talk down to you about macronutrition or other relatively basic things, just don't know much about your background or what you're eating macro wise so I just figured I'd cover it.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I'm just curious: did you start to plateau when you started eating clean? I've found that's a pretty common problem because it's harder to eyeball portions on a lot of foods that aren't prepackaged, etc.

eta: not getting down on trying to eat clean or whatever passes for clean. I just noticed you say you don't measure/weigh everything.
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Options
    Shutupandlift- Honestly, I pretty much have a mindset where if it comes from nature or has a face I'll eat it. I try not to worry too much about my macros & micros, just because like I said, I really don't want my whole day revolving around what I'm going to eat! :laugh: But, I probably could do better with paying more attention.

My schedule looks something like this:

Monday: Shoulders & tris. Typical heavy lifting..
    Tuesday: Cardio. Either run 5-6 miles or crossfit & weighted ab work.
    Wednesday: My favorite! LEG DAY! Let's just say, my legs gave out during lunges yesterday and I fell. :laugh:
    Thursday: Back & Bis
    Friday: Cardio. Same as above.
    Saturday: Legs again, just not AS crazy.
    Sunday: Either rest day, or some sort of light activity. hiking, pilates, insanity.

RivenV- No, I've been clean eating since the beginning... Like I mentioned above, I don't eat anything out of a package, no refined sugars or fast food... Limit my dairy & grains. My diet pretty much revolves around water, vegetables, and meat protein.

thanks for taking the time guys. :flowerforyou:
  • a_stronger_me13
    Options
    Well it sounds like you're doing everything right according to your plan so probably just need to be patient with yourself.

Best of luck.
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Options
    Well it sounds like you're doing everything right according to your plan so probably just need to be patient with yourself.

Best of luck.

I was hoping not to hear that! Thanks :)
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Best of luck.
    Agreed. :) Besides weighing your food or watching your macros, there's not much you can do to improve what you're already doing. You'll eventually see the results you're hoping for; in the meantime, you have lifting to keep you entertained and motivated.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    weighing you food in grams and ounces IS the main way to tweak.

It is the simplest answer and the FIRST step you should be taking if you want to find out what is going on.
  • a_stronger_me13
    Options

Best of luck.

I was hoping not to hear that! Thanks :)

Well, you kind of shot down the macro/micro and food weighing idea which is what it takes to really fine tune when you get that close to goal, so just keep keepin' on. There's no magic trick for the last 5lbs, just like there's no magic trick for the first 30... it's just that errors in caloric intake and tracking make a much bigger difference when there is less to lose. You are probably still in a deficit from just "eating clean" so patience is really your only option at this point.

I definitely understand not wanting to obsess over the details, but the consequence of that unfortunately is usually slower progress.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    1600 calories.
    Lifting 4-5 days a week.
    Running/CF 1-2 days a week.
    Won't track macros/micros.
    Doesn't really weigh/measure everything

I really think you need to ACTUALLY weigh things.
    Not measure, unless it's a liquid.
    And actually monitor your macros.
    You could see improvement in your gym performance if you do this.
    Better recovery.
    Etc.

But ok.

ETA: Also 1600 seems too low for how much you do...
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    1600 calories.
    Lifting 4-5 days a week.

Better recovery.
    Etc.

But ok.

but it might not really be 1600. If she isnt weighing there could be a LOT of error.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    1600 calories.
    Lifting 4-5 days a week.

Better recovery.
    Etc.

But ok.

but it might not really be 1600. If she isnt weighing there could be a LOT of error.

But "eating clean" is magical....
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    1600 calories.
    Lifting 4-5 days a week.

Better recovery.
    Etc.

But ok.

Of course!
    Silly me lol, thanks Cranq
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm smaller than you and I've been losing at 1600 (3 lbs last month, going over a few times too), and I don't exercise as much as you do.

But I'd start with weighing your food so you can be as accurate as possible first... Your 1300 calories might be 1700 or something.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    What is your approximate BF? Lyle Mcdonald has a book called Stubborn Fat Loss Solution that is aimed at people with low body fat but trying to rid themselves of stubborn fat areas, like waist, hips and saddlebags for women, and waist and back fat for men. It's a series of protocols involving various forms of cardio, and in some cases, supplements. I had some success with it last summer, helping me to lose in my lower waist and back. If you're interested here's the link http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-stubborn-fat-solution
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you do not measure, then you do not know how many calories you are really eating. Your margin for error is very small when you are close to goal weight.

What does your protein intake look like?

If your TDEE is 2200 and you are eating 1400-1600, that is an 600-800 calorie a day deficit. Too aggressive for those last pounds. But again this assumes accurate logging.