Anyone on here use Nutrisystem?

Options
Hi,
Has anyone here tried nutri-system? If so what foods did you like? Also, was it easy to maintain muscle mass on the program? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My sister was on NutriSystem for 6 months and lost a bunch of weight, but she never really learned how to cook and eat.

So, when she could no longer afford the food, she went back to eating like normal and gained it all back.

If you're going to try a prepackaged food plan, make sure you take the time to learn how to eat properly when you're off the program.
  • ammamber
    ammamber Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did it about 8 years ago. Two months and lost 10 the first and 8 the second. I exercised 5 days a week plus got into hiking on the weekends. It was EXPENSIVE. You have to grocery shop for all your dairy, produce, and bread. The second month I ate most the same foods everyday because there were so few things I liked. Cereal for breakfast, bars for lunch, and burgers or chicken sandwiches for dinner. I did like that it taught me portion control and I stuck with it because I couldn't see cheating on something that was costing me so much. Seems like they had a forum on their website that had recipes to improve your meals.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Programs like nutrisystem teach you nothing about how to eat in a healthy way, and they are completely unsustainable. The weight loss will last (if you stick to the program) as long as you can afford the meals, which, by the way, are gross. Most pre-packaged meals are gross.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Get an 8 inch plate and section it off into threes.Draw a line down the center to cut it in half and then draw a line down the center of one of the halfs to cut it into twos. The bottom half should consist of all greens, and the two top halves should be protein and starch/carb. This will teach you how to eat and you can use real food while still controlling your intake. This is how your plate should look...and it will probably cheaper and still allow some indulgence occasionally while not eating overly processed food.
  • mtnmeister
    mtnmeister Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs on Nutrasystems (nearly 30% of my then body weight). It worked great for me because my biggest issue is portion control. So I just ate the pre-packaged food augmented by the veggies as recommended and the weight loss was actually pretty easy. I never felt hungry and feeling of weight loss was amazing. It was expensive, but well worth it to me.

But, as others have noted, you learn nothing about how to eat right on your own. I gained 20 lbs back after I left Nutrasystems. But there was a difference. I now knew what it felt like to be at my target weight, and I had the confidence that if I just ate right I could be there again.

That's when I began to learn to eat right "on my own", to resist the temptation of ever-present food, and to exercise. And I've managed to get back to that Nutrasystems-enabled target weight - helped a lot by MFP, my Withings Scale, and Runkeeper.

So I think it can be a great way to "get back to start" but, in parallel, know it will fail long term if you are not prepared to make the needed lifestyle change at the end - to learn to eat on your own. Re-gaining weight can be more depressing than being overweight in the first place, so without a plan to maintain one's post-Nutrasystems target weight one might end up worse off than before.
  • penash
    penash Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I tried it about 6 or 7 years ago. I really didn't like the food. I thought it was all very bland and tasteless.
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I know how to cook for myself, but my problem is that I don't. I have 4 others in this house NOT on diets, two of them being very picky kids and a hubby with a horribly sensitive stomach. So we're talking chicken breast, mac and cheese or rice, green beans or peas for so many dang evening meals. I try to make something interesting, tasty, low carb, healthy, etc for me, and it's exhausting to keep trying to figure something out. Not to mention packing my lunch every day. I bought the 5 day pack of Nutrisystem meals from Wal-Mart yesterday to take the THINKING out of what I get to eat every day. It's not a long term solution for me, but it's to help me stop the upward momentum I have going and hopefully turn it around. My friend has been doing it for the exact same reason, and he's just melting away. So much so that his wife is trying it now, too. She's lost 4 lbs in 6 days, and she's active and healthy already. Yes, we still need to learn the skills associated with healthy eating, but a program like this can help take some of the stress of planning out of it.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I know how to cook for myself, but my problem is that I don't. I have 4 others in this house NOT on diets, two of them being very picky kids and a hubby with a horribly sensitive stomach. So we're talking chicken breast, mac and cheese or rice, green beans or peas for so many dang evening meals. I try to make something interesting, tasty, low carb, healthy, etc for me, and it's exhausting to keep trying to figure something out. Not to mention packing my lunch every day. I bought the 5 day pack of Nutrisystem meals from Wal-Mart yesterday to take the THINKING out of what I get to eat every day. It's not a long term solution for me, but it's to help me stop the upward momentum I have going and hopefully turn it around. My friend has been doing it for the exact same reason, and he's just melting away. So much so that his wife is trying it now, too. She's lost 4 lbs in 6 days, and she's active and healthy already. Yes, we still need to learn the skills associated with healthy eating, but a program like this can help take some of the stress of planning out of it.

She has not lost 4 pounds in 6 days. Sorry, but no.
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

She has not lost 4 pounds in 6 days. Sorry, but no.
    [/quote]

I'm not new around these parts, so I figured someone would jump on that. :) My point was, it works for a lot of people, and friends that I actually have in real life who aren't new to the fitness/diet world are seeing some changes, and I'm willing to give it a shot for a few days.
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input all. Going to see my Dr. soon to see how I can get these last 25 or so pounds off. Down 60 so far
  • mb3777
    mb3777 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am on Nutrisystem...And so far so good! As far as the food, I wasn't expecting the food to be up scale restaurant quality lol, I expected..Good food that satisfies me, and that's what I got! There are some foods, I don't like at all, and will Never order again, and there are some, that I Love! Therefore...for me, I have No complaints! I see a lot of negative review from people. But for me... it's my Jump Start & I am learning about portion control etc.! On NS, I am also learning...I can eat a lot less then I use too, And I'm satisfied! I think if one goes on the program, they must have a mind set..to LEARN from what they are doing/eating on the program. Learn portion control, etc. Pay Attention...so when you get off the program, you don't go back to your old ways. Granted easier said than done...But if your goal is to lose weight and live a healthier life, than it's up to you...to make that happen! A diet can help,but won't be a complete solution! I really like Nutrisystem...for what it's offering me. I don't cook much as a single mom, & I am on the go a lot. So the foods pkages works! As far as fruits & vegs. added...I assumed you would need to add that, on your own, IF you want freshness, So again it's Not a problem for me. Yes it is an expensive program, so it won't be anything I will be on for too long. My goal Again... To give me that Jump Start I need. I hope to really learn the life style changes that Needs to take place from Now on. I am happy I joined NS, it is the Jump Start I Needed!
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Their chocolate shakes are delicious