Cat Litter (lol)

Options
Cytherea
Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
So my husband was cleaning out the litter boxes the other day, and he asked me to bring him a new box of cat litter since he didn't have any more fresh stuff. So I went and picked it up.

Now, I'm not the strongest person, so when I picked it up I struggled with it. Yelled to him that it was too heavy. He teased me and told me I could handle it (I really didn't have to bring it that far). So I did. When I brought it to him, he teased me some more, and then said- "look at this, this weighs less than you've lost!" Sure enough, the cat litter weighed 31 lbs.

Whoa.

I was taken aback to say the least. And that was only just above half of what I've lost! Went back and picked up two of them at once (which is a little bit more than I've lost, but I figured it was close enough) and I REALLY struggled. Felt like my arms were going to fall off! It just shows you how crazy it is to have all that extra weight on you. Obviously you don't notice it at the time, but I can't even imagine trying to carry those things up the stairs or walking around!

I would highly recommend finding something that weighs close to what you've lost. It is really inspiring. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wow...great story!!! Really puts things into perspective. My Mom's comparison was for every pound lost was like losing one pound of butter (i.e a block of butter). So you have lost 55 pounds of butter!!! Amazing job!!!!!
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I loved your story. I have a 5 year old granddaughter who loves me holding her. I would pick her up and carry her up & down the stairs or just hold her and dance with her. My friends & some family members would tell me she is to heavy for me to hold and do the things I do with her. Even her daddy never carries her! I would look at them and tell them she is LESS THEN I HAVE LOST!! so holding her is nothing to compared to how I felt before and now they don't say anything to me!!

Congrats on your great loss!!!
    Mary
  • Krimicri
    Options
    I know, it's crazy. Looking back I can't even imagine how I carried so much weight, and what a difference it's made getting it off. Congrats, that's a great story. :)
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Reading all of your stories, is really inspiring! I am just starting this journey-and reading this gave me an extra boost. Great job-all of you!!!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I love this! I have lost a penguin (80 pounds) and would really like to try to carry one, lol. Not sure how the penguin would take it though. Now I'm going to get kicked out of every zoo in the country trying to find a penguin that will let me carry it.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love this! I have lost a penguin (80 pounds) and would really like to try to carry one, lol. Not sure how the penguin would take it though. Now I'm going to get kicked out of every zoo in the country trying to find a penguin that will let me carry it.
    I've lost about the same amount. It is about what my mom's old German Shepherd Dog weighed. You might have better luck (and a shorter police record) if you switch species.

I love carrying my friend's kids when they request it, it really does give perspective.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I've lost about the same amount. It is about what my mom's old German Shepherd Dog weighed. You might have better luck (and a shorter police record) if you switch species.

I love carrying my friend's kids when they request it, it really does give perspective.

Lol. Best advice I've gotten all week. What would I tell my mother if I got deported for attempted penguin theft? Now I'm going to have to make friends with someone with a big dog. Well done you for your loss!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I just tried this! I just went and picked up my chocolate lab, who is 78.1 pounds. (I know for a fact as he is in the vet every Monday due to diabetes!) But, I picked him up, struggling, put him down, and picked him back up again and could not fully stand up holding him. He liked it, because he thought I was playing with him, but I am currently huffing and puffing! That is 8 pounds LESS than what I have lost. Wow, what an experiment. No wonder my back, neck, shoulders, and feet were in constant pain. Pain that is no longer there, I might add!
  • CDresp
    CDresp Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yep, now you can see what a strain the weight puts on your heart! There in is the real eye opener! Good for you!
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    this is amazing! my cat litter container is 35 lbs, and its really difficult to carry up the stairs in my apartment building.. now that i think of it this way... im shocked!! i had MORE than that in excess weight on my body!? eww! :frown:

but seriously, this is an awesome way of looking at things. find something around the amount of weight you've lost and pick it up. i bet you'll instantly feel lighter. :bigsmile:
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    They did something similar on the Biggest Loser this week - helped a lot of the contestants realize what they were doing to their body (or that's the spin reality TV put on it....)

Think about all that weight on your joints, bones, etc.

CONGRATS on your successes!!!
  • color98
    Options
    Hello,

This is color98, I wish you the best towards your goal especially since MAY 24 is the day after my birthday. I am looking forward to May this year because it will be about. give or take a few weeks 6 months after my surgey date of November 8, 2010. I am looking forward to a fun Spring. Keep up the good work!!

color98
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Yeah. It puts alot in perspective. When I think about how many pounds I have to lose, I think to myself, I wish I only had 120 lbs to carry around everyday instead of 160. :grumble: Great job on your success!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    We've been talking about using kitty litter for squats in my house. We buy in bulk so there's a lot to use. It makes me feel like an old-timey farmer.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    We've been talking about using kitty litter for squats in my house. We buy in bulk so there's a lot to use. It makes me feel like an old-timey farmer.

Couldn't you add even more weight if you saved the used litter too? Maybe you could put it in those plastic tubs and lift those.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!