Gonna try 30 day shred....again. Sigh

Options
Don't get me wrong the results were great but I never finished doing them since really hurt my knees doing them. Now all I think about when doing 30 day shred is the dull pain inside my knee. That and hearing her talk over and over. Has anyone retried 30 day shred and have and knee pain remedies? It took a week for my knee to feel normal again.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    1) have you seen a doctor?

2) do you take rest days?
  • lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I did not see a doctor and I had one rest day a week.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    you should try some of the Jackie Warner DVDs. I like her so much better than Jillian and the only pain I got was muscle soreness!
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If it continues to injure your knee, I would not continue doing it. Find another way to exercise or another DVD that doesn't aggravate your knee.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong the results were great but I never finished doing them since really hurt my knees doing them. Now all I think about when doing 30 day shred is the dull pain inside my knee. That and hearing her talk over and over. Has anyone retried 30 day shred and have and knee pain remedies? It took a week for my knee to feel normal again.

I have restarted Ripped in 30 and also will be doing Killer Butts and Thighs at the same time. I agree with you that her constant chatting really get on my nerves. I do try and tune her out, otherwise you just want to throw the remote at the TV.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor and please don't consider this medical advice. If you're knee pain continues, you should probably stop exercise and see a doctor. With that disclaimer in mind, even if the knees are feeling better now, I would recommend getting knee compression sleeves to wear during exercise. This will help give your knees support during the exercise.
  • resolv13
    resolv13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I did less than 2 weeks of the 30 day shred and also found it to be very hard on my knees… In comparison I did Insanity in its entirety and never had any knee pain.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    There are more options for exercising than 30 day shred. The gym has a variety of things you can do like spin classes and weight lifting. If you need at home workouts look into www.bodyrock.tv or some of the home programs on bodybuilding.com or even You Are Your Own Gym.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Did you do the modified version of the workout?

I've had knee surgery and did the 30 Day shred prior to the surgery and even modified the modified version to fit me.

Meaning: I can't do jumping jacks because of the jarring in my knee...but I did a modified version (even though she said there isn't one...there is ALWAYS a way to modify any routine to fit you). I'd walk and place and do the arm movements as fast as i could...great cardio, trust me.

I can't do push ups on the floor, but I can do them against my kitchen counter. Same great workout and I don't have to get on my knees at all.

Some of the plank movements with the 'running' up hill were tough...I did some and then would move into just a plank or side plank.

I had great results.

My plan (right now) is to do the 30DS in March, 6 month post surgery.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • hellokittyx89
    Options
    I just started 3 days ago but I'm having to take a break since my calves are extremely sore to the point of limping and leg buckling. No amount of stretches seems to be helping either..
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I just started 3 days ago but I'm having to take a break since my calves are extremely sore to the point of limping and leg buckling. No amount of stretches seems to be helping either..

Drink extra water and take some tums with calicum to help with the sorness.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If it hurts your knees, don't do it. Either you have knee problems in general or your form is off, but you probably want to be able to walk the rest of your life.

I don't get knee pain with that workout, but I always get really bored of it long before I finish.
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If the chatter during the workout annoys you... Turn it off. My 30day DVD has the option to remove Jillian's dialogue entirely and just hear the music. From the main menu choose "audio options" and then "begin workout with music only".
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it. I am now in the 2nd week of Fitness Blender's 4 week Fat Loss program (the Low Impact version) and my knees are thanking me :)
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Meaning: I can't do jumping jacks because of the jarring in my knee...but I did a modified version (even though she said there isn't one...there is ALWAYS a way to modify any routine to fit you).

i've got dodgy knees anyway from an old car accident plus years of being obese took there toll, i can do 30 day shred sometimes and be ok, others it kills my knees and i have to rest for a week or more, i've recently been doing bootcamp sessions, and the trainer suggested as an alternative to jumping jacks was stepping out to the side and raising the same arm above your head, then go back to the middle, and repeat other side, at the same speed as you would do a jumping jack, hope this idea helps somebody x
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If it hurts, then don't do it. Muscle soreness is fine, joint pain is not. There are half a billion exercises that you can do - pick one that isn't painful and that you don't dread.

As for her talking, I watched each video once or twice. After that, I put her on a laptop on mute next to my TV and watched something interesting. I only used the laptop for cues on when to change exercises since I'd already heard her form advice.

I didn't get much in the way of results though. I've done much better with weightlifting with a walk every day and an occasional run for extra calories. Even better results when I started mixing weight lifting with martial arts.
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've started and stopped 30ds at least four times. This round, I experienced knee pain for the first time. It had me down for a couple days. I started paying more attention to my form. When I am sure not to bring my knee over my toe, I do not have problems.
    Those side lunges with shoulder raise on Level 1 were the worst. What I did was practice the move without weights until I got it down.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Try taking Glucosamine for a couple weeks. It REALLY helped my knee pain.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other recommendations, try adjusting your form for moves. Sometimes if your form is slightly off it will cause knee problems. Also, when jumping make sure you are doing soft landings.

Once I got used to the routine, I'd mute the video or turn it down and play my own music instead.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There are so many workout DVDs out there...........

My vote.........try something else, something lower impact.....at least trade off high impact & low impact days

This website will help you find high impact & low impact DVDs

http://www.collagevideo.com/

Kelly Coffey Meyer is my favorite instructor....lots of DVDs to choose from