Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Heart Rate Monitor - Polar FT4

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has a Polar FT4? I was thinking of buying one for $114 online, and I'm just unsure as to whether I should.

Any reviews would be great. Are they worth it?!

Replies

• ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    I've got an Ft4. I got it this week, online from Amazon. It's about $73 there, but I see now that you're Aussie so that doesn't matter. I don't know how much it would be for you! Whoops. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Bronze/dp/B001U0OFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291290418&sr=8-1 . As far as an HRM, I like it. I've never had one before, but I am no good with technology. I break everything. My husband is a computer support guy and that's the only thing that saves me. That being said, I had absolutely no problems setting mine up. It's easy to use and the chest strap goes right under your sports bra band, so you don't notice it after a couple of minutes. It tells you your calories burned, average and maximum heart rate, the amount of time you spent working out, etc. It stores your workout info for you, as well, so you can work out and then add it to MFP later. You can change your info as you lose weight. I haven't had to do that, but there is an option and it doesn't look too hard. I really like mine so far. I think it's a good idea to get one, so you can know exactly how many calories you burned and not have to worry about eating too many or too few of exercise calories.
  • ickybella
    You'll have to excuse me. I've only just started drinking my coffee (slept in today) and my brain isn't functioning. Should really pay attention to where people are before I start giving money-saving advice.
  • I've got an Ft4. I got it this week, online from Amazon. It's about $73 there, but I see now that you're Aussie so that doesn't matter. I don't know how much it would be for you! Whoops. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Bronze/dp/B001U0OFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291290418&sr=8-1 . As far as an HRM, I like it. I've never had one before, but I am no good with technology. I break everything. My husband is a computer support guy and that's the only thing that saves me. That being said, I had absolutely no problems setting mine up. It's easy to use and the chest strap goes right under your sports bra band, so you don't notice it after a couple of minutes. It tells you your calories burned, average and maximum heart rate, the amount of time you spent working out, etc. It stores your workout info for you, as well, so you can work out and then add it to MFP later. You can change your info as you lose weight. I haven't had to do that, but there is an option and it doesn't look too hard. I really like mine so far. I think it's a good idea to get one, so you can know exactly how many calories you burned and not have to worry about eating too many or too few of exercise calories.

Thanks very much :) It sounds really good.

What's the chest strap size like? Is it adjustable? It doesn't have to connect for the sensor to work does it? Because it's the strap is too small for me I was thinking my Nan might be able to add something to the ends of it to make it a bit bigger to fit me.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    I have the bronze polar as well. I purchased it from a MFP friend and I do like it. Before this I had a Reebok Percision. I only paid $40.00 for the Reebok and the two are equally good.
    Here is a list of what I like and don't like about the two:

I do like the bronze watch part as opposed to the big black one that came with the Reebok but it is also harder to read and a bit more complicated.

I like that the Reebok asks for more details so it's calculations must be fairly accurate (or as accurate as the medium level HRM go.)

I wanted the Polar so that I could use it in the pool but it didn't work in the pool.

The chest strap is bulkier in the polar than the reebok.

The reebok batteries wear out rather quickly.

I would only recommend the Polar 4 if you can get a good deal on it. I wouldn't pay full price.

D
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    I paid $75 for my Polar FT4 and I love it! It's easy to use and now I can count on it's accuracy as opposed to whatever calorie burn estimated on here. You will love it if you get one!
  • ickybella
    I've got an Ft4. I got it this week, online from Amazon. It's about $73 there, but I see now that you're Aussie so that doesn't matter. I don't know how much it would be for you! Whoops. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Bronze/dp/B001U0OFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291290418&sr=8-1 . As far as an HRM, I like it. I've never had one before, but I am no good with technology. I break everything. My husband is a computer support guy and that's the only thing that saves me. That being said, I had absolutely no problems setting mine up. It's easy to use and the chest strap goes right under your sports bra band, so you don't notice it after a couple of minutes. It tells you your calories burned, average and maximum heart rate, the amount of time you spent working out, etc. It stores your workout info for you, as well, so you can work out and then add it to MFP later. You can change your info as you lose weight. I haven't had to do that, but there is an option and it doesn't look too hard. I really like mine so far. I think it's a good idea to get one, so you can know exactly how many calories you burned and not have to worry about eating too many or too few of exercise calories.

Thanks very much :) It sounds really good.

What's the chest strap size like? Is it adjustable? It doesn't have to connect for the sensor to work does it? Because it's the strap is too small for me I was thinking my Nan might be able to add something to the ends of it to make it a bit bigger to fit me.

My chest strap is a medium-xxl, oddly. It is adjustable. At its biggest, it's 36 inches, or about 91 cm. It stretches, though, so it will actually stretch further than those measurements. That's just with it adjusted to go the largest it can go. It doesn't have to clasp to work. The transmitter snaps in, and as long as it's in the right place and tight against your chest, you'll be fine. I don't think you will have any problems with an extension.
  • ickybella
    I just tested it, and adjusted at its biggest, it really stretches. I can hold one end in each hand and stretch it to make it as long as my arm span. I'm not sure how long that is, but it might even go further than that. Obviously, I can't tell as I can't go much further.
  • LOVE MY POLAR FT4! Have had it just over a month. Got it on ebay for $69, new in box. So easy to us. Love the data it gives you each workout (time spent, calories burned, average heart rate, max heart rate, time spent in the target heart zone).
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Make sure you order it straight from polar! I would ber leary of ordering from someplace else considering with all the counterfit items getting into this country. Polar is great I have bought 2 HRM from them
  • Thank you so much everyone. You've been very very helpful :) I appreciate it. :flowerforyou:
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    i bought an ft4 about 2weeks ago and LOVE it! it takes about 5mins to put in your settings(super easy) and it's great to know just how much i'm REALLY burning

my treadmill was telling me i was burning 1500cals per session...got that and found out it's only about 900!!
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Are these waterproof? Can they be worn while swimming laps? Just wondering... Thanks!
  • Are these waterproof? Can they be worn while swimming laps? Just wondering... Thanks!

They are water resistant to 50 metres - so yes. They can :)

I ended up picking up a $50 one from Target and I used it tonight. It's fantastic. I absolutely love the one I got. It's not a Polar - but it's great :)
  • What kind did you get from Target? I am looking into getting one but want to make sure it will do the job.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    I have the Polar ft4. In retrospect, I think I should have gotten the FT40. The FT40 has a built in fitness test which calculates your voMax number, which is one of the values used to calculate your calories burned. The FT4 uses a generic number (I don't know what it is).
    That being said, I'm on the fence about heart rate monitors. One of the numbers they use to calculate the calories burned is your max heart rate. The ft4 (and the ft40) use a generic number based upon your age. Mine was 167. There are ways to determine your max heart rate, and I discovered that mine was above 190. Putting this number in makes a big difference in the calories burned number the heart rate monitor gives you ( the higher the max heart rate, the fewer calories it said I burned). Some of the numbers I got after exercise were really low, and didn't match any database numbers I could find. Other people on this site said they were too low. At this point, I'm not sure what values to use. currently, I take the calorie number the HRM gives me with a bag of salt. I'm taking that number, and using about 80% of it. That's completely arbitrary, though.