Binging, bulimia, cheat days... reassurance needed

Options
To some it might seem like nothing but for me it is a big deal and I have gone 11 days without purging and binge eating (in five years i have only ever gone 5 days)

But today has been a bit of a struggle; i have been sticking to 1400 cals per day whilst doing the 30 day shred and half hour walking each day but today i decided to over eat a little but as hard as it's not to purge, i'm not giving in and i feel so pleased with myself and so strong as i have never held back the urges.

So yes, i've over eaten but with healthy-ish foods

Porridge - 213 cals
Large Soya Latte - 162 cals
M&S Healthy range Chicken flat bread - 310 cals
M&S Pork Wrap - 337 Cals
Sour cream and chive crisps - 90 Cals
Banana Smoothie - 330 Cals
Protein bars x 2 - 460 Cals

Total = 1,902

Carbs = 190g
Fat =50g
Protein = 140g

As silly as it sounds, I just need some reassurance and to find out if this binge today is going to undo all the hard work i've put in? i'm also on a fast tomorrow as i am on the intermittent plan at the moment.

I just want to get in control of my eating.

Replies

• jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    You've made it 11 days...YOU are stronger than the urges. Just keep looking ahead. Think about how great you will feel at day 15, day 20, day 30. Onward only!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's fine. If you're doing a lot of intense work... you need more calories. Also, after an extended period of time of cutting calories, you need a "refeed day".... (where you consume maintenance level calories or a little higher) to kick your metabolism in gear again and give your body back needed calories/nutrients.

Enjoy the food you ate and let it fuel your next workout so you can preform with more explosiveness and intensity.

Gaining weight does come from a single day or a few bad meals... it's from choices made over a long extended period of time. Same goes for losing weight. Losing won't happen overnight, it takes weeks.

But overall your fine, don't worry about it.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on 11 days! I know how hard that can be. This will not derail you at all. Drink your water and keep going ahead. You can do this!
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    You should be very proud of yourself. Congratulations.

Don't worry about the occasional indulgence, maybe stop thinking about eating extra as a binge because you have a negative association with that word, think of it as 500calories of wiggle room when you need it. Make eating a little extra every once in a while a positive treat for undoing your negative habits.
  • lynnmarie96
    lynnmarie96 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been through anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorders etc, so I know what you're going through. 11 days is AMAZING! And the binge doesn't actually look that bad at all in my eyes, it didn't go over 500 calories, and the foods you ate weren't exactly fatty. You didn't gorge on pizza, chips, chocolate and crisps, and for that, you should be proud. I haven't binged in about 2 weeks, and if it's okay with you, I'd like to add you so that we can motivate eachother? Keep fighting! You can do it.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You should be very proud of yourself. Congratulations.

Don't worry about the occasional indulgence, maybe stop thinking about eating extra as a binge because you have a negative association with that word, think of it as 500calories of wiggle room when you need it. Make eating a little extra every once in a while a positive treat for undoing your negative habits.

I second this suggestion. Sometimes it's just about changing your perspective, seeing things from a slightly different angle, in a way that's going to continue to support all the positive changes and hard work you're putting in. And give yourself credit! 11 days purge-free after a last record of 5 is HUGE. That's more than twice what your last success was, and like someone else said above, imagine what it'll feel like when you're at 15 or 20 or 30. You're blowing it out of the water, good job!
  • hellokittyx89
    Options
    Good job! I've only gone 2 days without B&P but yesterday I relapsed and I felt soooooo bad. I'm also trying to stop damaging my body that way and trying to get my body healthier and lose weight a better way. I'm just scared to up my calories as I don't really know what to do about exercising and I don't have the money to buy healthy foods all the time. If you ever need to talk to someone who also is experiencing the same thing you can message me.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Most likely the amount you ate is close to what you would maintain at. It won't hurt you and may actually help you.
  • thenicksters
    thenicksters Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    And Remember...it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound of fat, any other gain is water to help digest it, etc. Drink a little more water and know that the healthy foods you ate is helping your body stay healthy as you exercise :-) You are in CONTROL, don't let "IT" control you!
  • katmustbeskinny
    Options
    I had/still kind of have anorexia and bulimia and binge eating disorder. It sucks definitely. The thing that helped me get through my purging episodes is that just think of all the effort you have to put in to purge. You have to get up, go to the bathroom, cry, gag, purge. It's a terrible experience. But in the moment you think it's all worth it. It really isn't because purging doesn't get rid of as much food as you would like. The thing that REALLY and EFFECTIVELY gets rid of those unwanted calories is exercising. So what you ate a bit over (you really didn't, but lets just say you did)? Hit the gym, take a walk, do jumping jacks, sit ups. Anything counts. Trust me, you will feel so much better after exercising than you would if you threw up.

I've gotten 20 days without purging. You can too. I know of it!
  • annakroberts
    Options
    You are doing an amazing job! Just remember you are important and valuable and never berate yourself even if you do slip up.
  • It's fine. If you're doing a lot of intense work... you need more calories. Also, after an extended period of time of cutting calories, you need a "refeed day".... (where you consume maintenance level calories or a little higher) to kick your metabolism in gear again and give your body back needed calories/nutrients.

Enjoy the food you ate and let it fuel your next workout so you can preform with more explosiveness and intensity.

Gaining weight does come from a single day or a few bad meals... it's from choices made over a long extended period of time. Same goes for losing weight. Losing won't happen overnight, it takes weeks.

But overall your fine, don't worry about it.

^THIS
  • Zahraraza52557
    Zahraraza52557 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was binge purge free for a bit over 2 weeks, but yesterday i binged purged, breaking my resolve a bit. Now I feel the urges again the day after, but I'm fighting it! and so far it's working. Now I just wanted to know if I could be able to go on a "cheat day" since I've always wanted to try ad eat some donuts I have yet to try.... But I'm not sure if it'll be my down fall... any suggestions?
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I was binge purge free for a bit over 2 weeks, but yesterday i binged purged, breaking my resolve a bit. Now I feel the urges again the day after, but I'm fighting it! and so far it's working. Now I just wanted to know if I could be able to go on a "cheat day" since I've always wanted to try ad eat some donuts I have yet to try.... But I'm not sure if it'll be my down fall... any suggestions?

Could you work the new donut into your calories for the day? That way it would not be a cheat day, it would be part of your regular day. And so you had a bad day, each day is a new day to start working on doing what you need to do.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing a therapist? They have loads of insight.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Are you working with a treatment team? This is really something that is beyond the scope of this forum. Get some guidance from the professionals who know you and your history. Wishing you the best. :flowerforyou:
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I hope you have been to your GP about this, as they can get you a team of qualified professionals to help you through. Do your family/friends know about your struggles? They can be a great support network. As someone who has nearly lost someone to this condition, I implore you to seek help if you haven't. There is a way out. :heart: