I need some running and/or JM30 Shred Success Stories!

Options
Hello everyone! I hope it's ok to post this here...

I am trying to jumpstart getting super motivated to begin working out again -- I have SEVERELY struggled with this lately...I'm pretty sure all in my head, too..

Anywhooo -- I plan on starting the Couch to 5K program that I've never finished in my several attempts, all due to laziness, & I also plan on incorporating the Jillian M's 30 Day Shred on the days I'm not running.

It's helped me in the past to see a bunch of awesome success stories, and PICS are always the best!

Can you awesome people tell me about your success stories & share your pictures? It would be greatly appreciated!!!

If there is already another thread for this that I missed, I'll gladly look at that, too. I am just needing some extra push to get my motivation going today.

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    I don't have any pictures and am still a work in progress, but I've been doing JM dvd's for a few years now and LOVE them and have definitely seen results with it, but I wanted to encourage you that true motivation comes from within. Sure, we can get a quick motivation from reading others stories and looking at their pictures, which I also do often, but for lasting motivation you have to look within yourself. Seriously consider sitting down for 10 minutes and writing out your goals. CLEARLY define your goals. Then write down down WHY you want to achieve those goals. What will you benefit from losing, say 20 pounds for instance? Remember to be specific in all of this. Then when you need that boost of motivation, or even in the middle of the workout, remind yourself WHY you're doing what you're doing. You have to create an emotional connection with your goal. If you do that then you can endure the HOW of getting to that goal a little easier. Seriously, that was a life changing thing for me. I always gave up on my goals until I got this revelation.

You CAN achieve your goals and I believe in you! :)
  • thelowcarblady
    thelowcarblady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reply! Thats a great idea!

I know once I get over my mental block and start seeing results then i get very motivated on my own, but I just need a PUSH and usually looking at success pictures does just that! :bigsmile:

Cant wait for this to finally be the last time I'm starting over again!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I've posted these before but I've always alternated 30DS with running. In fact I've never finished 30DS in less than 45 days! I'm going through it a second time now and Level 2 is definitely the hardest. You just have to push through and not give up (Jillian actually says that many times on the DVD).

I will say though, that before you head out running or any of that stuff make sure you nail your calories....my diary is open and "most" of the time I stay at or near my allotted cals for the day. There's a saying "abs are made in the kitchen" and it's definitely true. If you don't hit your cals you'll eat through your efforts when it comes to running or 30DS. You'll be running 2-3 miles 3x a week and doing 30DS and go, "I don't see any results, why?"...it's because of your diary. So make sure you get that right first.

Ripped-In-30-Day30-results--1_zps0df2b730.jpg
  • thelowcarblady
    Options
    awesome!!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to offer on the Jillian side, but here's my running story:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/971842-it-was-an-accident-pics
  • thelowcarblady
    Options
    I don't have anything to offer on the Jillian side, but here's my running story:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/971842-it-was-an-accident-pics

That's an incredible story! Congrats on all your success!!!
  • claire671
    claire671 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I did JM 30 Day Shred then RI30 and completed C25K consecutively. Loved it all :)

Here is the link to the thread I posted my 30 Day Shred results, pictures and measurements:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/973809-30-day-shred-results-and-my-story-so-far-with-pics

I'm now 75lbs down, here is my profile pic in a bigger size my 'before and current' so to speak!

PhotoGrid_1388589572671_zps8c186ac6.jpg

Best of luck with it all :)
  • QS82
    QS82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pics on my laptop but I am a C25K 'graduate' and I can tell you it is one of the best things I ever did :bigsmile:

I've always been active, on and off, but have always been frankly rubbish at running! I started C25K a couple of years ago and honestly didn't think i'd complete it as running for even a couple of minutes seemed unlikely but I remember the day I finished the last run and even though it wasn't quite the full 5k, it was a full 30 minutes and I did a rocky air punch to celebrate.

I've found that since completing it, i've always been able to continue running to some extent even when i've taken months off of it, and regularly run 10k+ now and have recently started doing interval training which has finally brought my pace from snail to slightly faster snail :laugh: I'll never be a marathon runner but it has done wonders for my weight loss and general health, not to mention that it's great for mental health and happiness!

I say go for it, and good luck! x

P.s to Claire671 above, you look awesome!
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have not done 30DS, although I do own it (hey, at least I've taken the wrapper off! :ohwell: )...

When I first started last year, I would walk on my treadmill. At first, just 10 to 15 minutes walking was a challenge. I did my first 5K in May of last year--took me an hour.

Just this past Saturday, I ran my 6th 5K, and have essentially taken 22 minutes off that hour. I'm definitely still a work in progress... I didn't do any sort of running program, although I have friends on my FL who have done C25K with great success. Me, that's much too disciplined apparently. I just run until I can't any more, walk a little, and then run some more.:tongue: I have progressed to doing 10K's on the treadmill, but have not yet done this distance in a road race.

I would highly suggest a good running shoe--do not skimp on this as it will save your ankles, shins, knees and hips. I learned this the hard way. Replace every 6 months. I know, its annoying and can be expensive. But an injury is more so.

One day I will post pictures, but first I have to get to goal! I have some progress pictures, but not ready to post them yet.
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey with C25k. It took me a lot longer than the projected 8 weeks. I was close to 300 lbs when I started (I don't know my exact weight - highest recorded weight was 279 pounds) so I struggled with it.

I have lost close to 100 pounds in two years. Now, when it's warm I bicycle, jog and do yin yoga. Once in a blue moon I will do Insanity's Pure Cardio workout when I get bored with everything else.

My success pictures are on my profile page.

-India
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    The majority of my weight loss is from an improved diet (and calorie deficit) and running. I used to hate running, because of PE teachers always telling me that I should be able to run faster since I have long legs. Years later, after PE was out of my life, I met my now fiance who loves to run. Last year in January when I finally decided I needed to lose weight (after hitting 210 - my highest weight ever), I also decided to try running again. I used to swim in high school and I was a long distance swimmer (500m races!), so I thought to myself, "maybe I'm a long distance runner too?" So I started the C25K program, and in March 2013 I ran my first race. I came in 4th for women, 5th overall out of 50 other racers with a time of 32 minutes... WHAT?! I felt so accomplished! Here's the progress I made with running.

Left: January 2013 (210lbs.)
    Right: September 2013 (170lbs.)

210170_zps7226e330.jpg

I need to take new progress pictures, as I started to do strength training 2- 3 times a week starting back in January 2014, and am now trying the C210K program. So far I love it.

Just be careful when you start running. Don't do too much to fast and get the right shoes (go to a running store to have your gait analyzed.) I tried to run at a 10 minute mile pace when I first started, and everyday, and got REALLY BAD shin splints. They can be incredibly painful and if you do get them, you pretty much have to stop running until they go away.
  • gpiercebutler
    gpiercebutler Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you want motivation to do the C25K every day I would really strongly suggest downloading the zombie 5k running app. I was so motivated to do it to hear more of the story. It made it much more interesting.

I know people always say abs are made in the kitchen but for me 80% of my success (40ish pounds) has been from exercise. I've always quit 'diets' before after a week or two because I didn't feel that different. Adding in exercise (I did running and Jillian) made it about health and becoming fitter.

Good luck!
  • thelowcarblady
    Options
    I finally checked back on this thread today, and thanks for the replies everyone!

You all have done such a great job!

Thankfully I do have fitted running shoes already, but I think I may need to invest in a new pair soon. I got them last year and I've been on and off with the consistency of my working out but they do have several miles on them.

I think next pair I get will be a little less clunky/heavy and I think I need to have my gait checked again. Thankfully I no longer have foot pain/numbness when I am towards the end of my workout which happened in the store bought tennis shoes I got when I first started out.

I did my C25K on Tuesday like I was supposed to -- unfortunately I was unable to do my 30 Day Shred yesterday or this morning so I will have to make that up. I'm not going to beat myself up over missing it as long as I make it up in one way or another. I thought about doing it this afternoon after my run, but I don't want to push myself too hard too early. I may just see what the weather brings and may end up doing that today anyways since it may rain.

ANYWAYS -- sorry for rambling hah! I'd love to have some new motivational friends if anyone wants to add me! I could use the encouragement!
  • EmmaGutteridge83
    Options
    I did C25K a couple of years ago… I have never been active, and was very lazy, as well as being very overweight. A friend suggested we do it together, and I never looked back. Even just running for a minute was hard, but I pushed through. I didn’t get close to 5K in the 30 minute run, so was determined to keep going until I could run that distance, and then carried on from there.
    In the first year I ran a 5K race for life, followed by a 10K, followed by a Half Marathon. I have since run 2 more 10Ks and a half marathon, and also looking to complete a full marathon in September.
    I would never in a million years have thought I would become a runner, but now I can’t imagine not being one!!
    I lost about 2 stone and 2 dress sizes in the process; however it actually became more about running faster and further than about weight loss. This was the key for me, I began to actually enjoying running, as opposed to it being a means to an end.
    If I don’t feel like it one day, I just tell myself I will never regret doing it, but I’ll probably regret not doing it 
    Good luck!!!
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    These posts are just the motivation I need to get back on track. I was almost running 6 miles and then the winter came and family issues and bam, 10 lbs. back on and I feel like my endurance is gone. I signed up for a virtual 10k next month and know that I won't be able to run the whole distance, I hope I can at least run the first half. Hearing these wonderful success stories are great! Congrats to all of you. I hope to post that by the end of spring that I'm down the 10 lbs I gained over this awful winter, back to running 6 miles and working towards losing the last 10 lbs for good!
  • paigemeghan
    paigemeghan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    [img]http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/PaigeMeghan/Mobile Uploads/b8730eb1-2293-434c-8a1c-64193a37018b_zps15f68f45.jpg[/img]

I'm a 30 DS'er! Granted, I started doing 30DS and running a little farther into my weight-loss than from my "before" picture shown here. But the end results are definitely thanks-in part to JM! I've been doing 30DS since last summer and I run a couple times a week ~2.5 miles at a time. I have my eyes set on training for a half marathon soon!
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 pounds in the first level of 30DS. I didn't notice a huge drop in measurements, the biggest were 1/2" from both my waist and chest.

I've been doing the shred 5 days a week, walking every night for 30-40 mins and various activities on the weekends, hiking, snowshoeing and this weekend will be skiing.

I definitely feel the workouts getting easier and have been able to complete more reps of each exercise since the start. That is the biggest measure of success for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!