High sugar intake?

Options
I'm a bit confused. I don't eat anything with added sugar. Today, so far, I've had a smoothie with banana and berries and an apple and I've gone 36 over my sugar limit for the day? That doesn't even make sense!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    diary is closed.

Banana is very high in sugar - 20% or more. What is your sugar limit ?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    If you do not have a medical condition, do not worry about it. Sugar is a carb, track that number. Do not get freaked out and do not stop eating your fruits.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Ignore sugar. Track fiber in its place. Enjoy ;)
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Fruit will screw your sugar goal right up. I just took sugar off my diary because I was sick of looking at it turning red every time I eat fruit. Sugar from fruit isn't as bad as sugar from processed foods.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Fruit will screw your sugar goal right up. I just took sugar off my diary because I was sick of looking at it turning red every time I eat fruit. Sugar from fruit isn't as bad as sugar from processed foods.

Here we go again. Sugar is sugar. It's a carb, that's all. No good or bad.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Oh I didn't realize you could take it off! It says my sugar limit is 29. I'm removing it, because I don't even use honey!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ignore sugar. Track fiber in its place. Enjoy ;)

Yep - tracking fiber instead!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ignore sugar, whether it comes from fruit or donuts.
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    Agreed, ignore the sugar unless you are diabetic OR consuming a lot of processed sugar.

Track carbs and fiber!!

Keep eating fruit!!
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It also says I've gone over my fiber limit?? I don't think the goals are right. Can't be. I just the automatic one MFP gives you. If I open my diary, would someone mind taking a look? I did have one slice of pizza today... don't judge me! They ordered pizza at work for someone's work anniversary.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    It also says I've gone over my fiber limit?? I don't think the goals are right. Can't be. I just the automatic one MFP gives you. If I open my diary, would someone mind taking a look? I did have one slice of pizza today... don't judge me! They ordered pizza at work for someone's work anniversary.

I treat my macros as minimums. Excess fiber might make you bloaty or at worse stop you up but I think that's extremes. Don't feel bad about pizza! Having a balanced diet can include anything. Food is food. You should see my diary ;)
  • jonnythan
    Options

Those aren't limits. Treat protein fiber and fat as minimums (though too much fiber is bad; aim for 15-18 grams per 1000 calories). Sugar and carbs can be mostly ignored.

As for the pizza, I'll only judge you if you don't eat it. I'm eating pizza tonight.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

Those aren't limits. Treat protein fiber and fat as minimums (though too much fiber is bad; aim for 15-18 grams per 1000 calories). Sugar and carbs can be mostly ignored.

As for the pizza, I'll only judge you if you don't eat it. I'm eating pizza tonight.

Jonny -- how can we get these people to stop being afraid of sugar???
  • jonnythan
    Options

Jonny -- how can we get these people to stop being afraid of sugar???

We need to crowdfund and become a Dr Oz sponsor so he can spend an entire show talking about how wonderful ice cream Pop Tart sandwiches are.
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    Agree, with the early posts of there is no reason to "fear" sugar or even track it for that matter, but there is a benefit to understanding how sugar works in the body...

Carbohydrates are often grouped into a single category, but they include three distinct types: sugar, starch and fiber. It is important to note that only sugar and starch carbohydrates get broken down into sugar molecules. Fiber is not converted into sugar, but rather, it passes through your body without being digested. Pure sugar such as that placed in coffee or found in refined foods/soda differs from fruit sugar which differs from sugar found in starchy foods, such as whole grain breads, simple carbs versus complex carbs.

Simple carbohydrates, especially those with a high glycemic index (candy, soda, junk food), are rapidly converted to simple sugars such as glucose, and transported in the bloodstream. If the pancreas is functioning normally, it produces and secretes insulin into the bloodstream, which in turn activates muscle, fat and liver cells to take in glucose from the blood. This is a positive effect as it lowers blood-glucose, and prevents it from reaching toxic levels.

If the cells of the body are in an energy deficit, they will quickly utilize this fuel and convert it to energy. However, if our energy storage tank is already full, as a result of over consumption of fuel, the excess glucose spills over into the fat-producing pathway, converts to fat, and is stored in fat cells.

So net of this from my understanding and experience in my own diet efforts, fruit good in the morning or pre-workout when the body needs energy. Fruit or other simple sugars, may not be best choice late at night when the bodies energy needs are full... Good luck...
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    [Jonny -- how can we get these people to stop being afraid of sugar???

We need to crowdfund and become a Dr Oz sponsor so he can spend an entire show talking about how wonderful ice cream Pop Tart sandwiches are.

That sounds like a great idea.... !