weight training for a newbie?

Options
hey everyone :)
so i used to weight 255 pounds.
Got down to 113...i.used to have an eating disorder. I am now on my journey to recover. I weight 120-122 and im about 5'9 1/2. I have some loose skin(most of it snapped back but there are certain parts that dont want to leave like on my thighs and stomach) from losing so much weight and am now "skinny fat" i know i should weigh atleast 125 but my loose skin is a trigger for me and my ED always tells me to just not eat and it will be less visible, which it was when i was 113lbs but i know thats ridiculous and just not healthy

so my question is how do i start weight training and what do i need for it? i know nothing about weight training or reps or any of that i just know im kinda tiny and not that strong :/ any help would be amazing. Thank all :)

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts / Starting Strength / New Rules of Lifting for Women are all great starting programs.
    You basically lift 3 days per week. It starts at no weight, focuses on form.
  • austinsnotweird
    Options
    I suggest you join a gym with a good selection of free weights and either hire a trainer to teach you the basic lifts or find a friend who knows and can show you. Don't take advice or instruction from somebody who doesn't have a good physique (there are a lot of ****ty trainers with no idea what they're doing.)

Focus on basic compound movements, do not let yourself get distracted with silly isolation movements like calf raises (yet.) I recommend finding an appropriate program and stick to it. Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength are both excellent programs for people brand new to lifting.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to seek help immediately, if you aren't currently getting help. Having lost such a significant amount of weight, if you aren't eating properly now, adding in a weight lifting routine could be harmful.

I think you need professional guidance to help you with your post ED recovery eating plan.

But what Trog recommended is right too, I'd just worry that you wouldn't be eating enough to sustain additional burden on your body.
  • SneakyWaff1es
    SneakyWaff1es Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155009423

Best beginner program to gain a little weight. Starting Strength is great too but it's a little more for people trying to get strong and not worried about gaining weight.
  • skinniebee43
    Options
    i do have an out patient team thats helping me with my eating and i am eating pretty good, clean and healthy!
    thank you all :)