Thyroid problems - Energy versus Exercise....

Options
Hi I am just new to MFP. In 2012 I managed to lose 2 stone in weight by following a high protein low carb eating plan ( not a diet). I was exercising regulalry, running 10k once a week, plus another couple of short runs 3-5k a week and doing kettlebell classes. All of a sudden in July 2013 I became really ill having collapsed whilst out shopping and I was taken to hospital. I was diagnosed with an irregular heart beat and an underactive thyroid. I stopped exercising and although I tried to continue watching what I was eating I put on 24 lbs in weight from July to December 2013. I am now on thyroxin and I have had a pacemaker implanted and am now trying to tackle my weight gain and fitness. I have just started recording the foods I eat on MFP and the exercise I do. I am mamanging to run 4 miles once a week and I hope to get back to kettlebell classes soon. However I am still really struggling to shift the weight. Has anyone else had experience of weight gain and difficulty losing it when on thyroxin? Also I really enjoying making up power juices but I am finding the sugar content really high, any advice?

Replies

• leannegray31
    Options
    I was diagnosed hypothyroid when I was 19. For me, the only way the weight shifts is if all of my ducks are in a row - medication, low calorie diet, and daily exercise (at least 30 minutes a day, but usually shoot for more - and it has to be relatively high intensity. Walking doesn't cut it for me). And my calories have to be on the low end - usually shoot for 1200-1400 (total, not net). Doing that, I lose a pretty steady 1-2 pounds a week. If I let anything slip - eat much more, skip exercise, or forget my meds - then my weight loss slows down significantly or stops altogether. And I'm about 50 pounds overweight - not anywhere near goal.

I don't maintain unless I watch what I eat and exercise regularly - I do alright around 1800 calories a day if I exercise at least 5 days a week. If I completely fall off the wagon then I gain weight quickly and steadily.

I've tried various macronutrient ratios and haven't noticed that it makes much of a difference - other than I tend to retain a little less water if I eat low carb. For me what makes the biggest difference is simply quantity of food and exercise.

It's definitely worth working with a knowledgeable doctor that has time to really listen to you - there can be a difference between "normal" blood levels of thyroid hormone and "optimal" levels. If you can find a doctor willing to troubleshoot that with you, that can be huge. But you may also find that you simply have to be more strict and consistent than the average person in order to see real changes, even if your medication seems to be working.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hasimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost way more slowly than most MFPers (it took me a year to lose 20 lb.), but I did lose.

Edited that I didn't change my diet at all. It was 100% calorie restriction. And patience—lots of patience.
  • foryoublue
    Options
    I was diagnosed with grave's disease almost ten years ago. Before that I had a ton of energy. Now I'm lucky if I can make it through an afternoon of running errands.

My weight loss has to be nearly 100% calorie restriction because on any given day I could run out of energy after literally five minutes of working out. Can't go anywhere in a nice car when there's no gasoline in the tank, that's what I say.

I echo the patience thing. It takes us longer. I don't even have a thyroid anymore so I'm at the mercy of what energy my daily Synthroid will give me. The days it's high I'm like a crazy manic person and it's great! Just wish I had more of those days. :)
  • COliver416
    COliver416 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    One of the major things I learned from a thyroid issue, was to cut down on my protein consumption. The more I focused on vegetables and grains as a hallmark of my diet, keeping protein to 40% of my meal, largely in the morning, I have had huge levels of weight loss. So, I'm consuming roughly 60 to 80 grams of protein, at 240 pound Male, rather than 120 to 140 grams which I used to eat. My weight loss has been huge. I was 274 I'm down 241 in 8 weeks.

And yeah leannegray is right, got to have all the ducts in order, and keep the calories under control.
  • voucherqueen1960
    voucherqueen1960 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your responses to my post. I am in the right frame of mind just now so hope to beat this and get back down to a sensible weight.

Best of luck everyone xx