This is somewhat weird

Options
annabellio
annabellio Posts: 127 Member
I have been really struggling with money and am trying to start a routine of grocery shopping on payday. That's not the weird part. Actually, none of this is too weird. Anyhow, anyone out there who is a vegetarian ( and within my calorie range ~1580) and has a set shopping list ? I think a routine shopping list ( rather than grab a little every day) will help my budget and my planning as well as keeping me on track with MFP. I plan to make a bunch of stuff on the weekend ( soups, veggie chili) and freeze so I can use it during the week. I've been on here for three years and i think this is the first time I have ever posted a topic !!:tongue:

Replies

• cinnamonkitty
    Options
    I don't have a set shopping list because I like to take advantage of store sales. I do get basics twice a month: potatoes, bread, milk, eggs, flour etc. There is a website called Poor Girl Eats Well, she sets up shopping cart lists to take advantage of sales and basics. Maybe this could help you.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I also don't have a "set" list but just go by what looks good/on sale. If you plan on making meals ahead, you could take it one step further and roughly plan a weekly menu. Then go through those recipes and only buy those ingredients, in the amounts necessary for the menu.
  • hibou_89
    Options
    Hi!
    I eat around 1800 but I am vegetarian and on low budget too so it should still do. My basics are : available veggies at the farmers market (leak, turnip, caulieflower, carrots, celeriac, spinach, onion,potato, butternut squash or spaghetti squash). It depends of what is available and I look on the internet for good recipes with veggies I know a little less. I also buy apples at the market From the supermarket, i only get the handy cucumber and tomato, but otherwise, I try to eat the stuff from the season. i also get apples from the market and whatever treat fruit that is on sale that week at the store. For protein, I love dry legume (chickpeas, blackbeans, lentils and butterbeans) because they are super cheap and you can make sooo much out of them Even healthy deserts! Tofu is in once in a while (very often on sale actually). Eggs are super important for me as well as almonds and walnuts. I get them from a bulk store so they are affordable. Natural peanut butter is also pretty important for me. I always have rye bread, barley, oat and wholewheat pasta in my cupoard. Finally, cottage cheese and plain yogurt (greek when on sale or when I want to treat myself) are my best dairy. Plain yogurt can also do so much that I use it everywhere all the time.
    For a week, it usually cost me between 20-30£ of grocery.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    I am not a complete veggie - was but have added some meat in... and one of the thing I find that helps me is picking out 2 or 3 recipes and making them and freezing in one meal size - then I don't get board of them before they are gone. I also am on an extremely tight budget - and find that Safeway - using their on-line tool gives me some great deals - they often have produce and dry goods on sale.. I love the farmers market but the one near me every thing is 3 to 4 times as expensive as the traditional market... so unluckily it has to be a treat. I like Vegetarian Times Magazine - on line or at the library for a good source of recipes. The other thing I do is a couple of my neighbors get the newspaper and they give me the ad section after they are done and I use the coupons they don't want...
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I eat fish on rare occasion but that's it. My shopping lists varies very little per week

Nonfat yogurt
    Fat free milk
    Spinach
    Mushrooms
    Sun dried tomatoes
    Almond butter
    Brown rice cakes
    Chia seeds
    Pumpkin seeds
    Hemp seeds
    Broccoli, asparagus, or any veggies that are in season
    Blueberries, strawberries, or fruits that are in season
    Quinoa
    Sprouted extra firm tofu
    Tofurkey sausage
    Protein powder (I get Raw Vanilla or Jarrows)
    Cherry tomatoes

That's usually what I get, with maybe some winter squash or other things for a new recipe on occasion.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I buy my grains, beans, legumes, nuts and flour in bulk. I plan my next week meals on Fridays, then shop, prepare and cook everything on Sundays. I freeze yogurt and fruit for smoothies, I prepare individual salads, make a soup, casserole, snacks (protein bars). I cut up veggies to snack on as well, and load up on snacks such as yogurt cups, trail mix (make my own from bulk), cheese, fruit (all cut up). I will usually also make a pot of quinoa or brown rice to make into a quick stir fry or fritters mid week. The night before work days I grab a container (my fridge is full of one serving tupperware containers) of salad, food, and snacks. Pack my water and I'm off. When I get home I grab containers and heat up for dinner. Once or twice a week I will make an additional meal to mix things up, but I can eat the same casserole every night for dinner if it's really good.